View Full Version : Schoolie Enticers....

bloocrab
03-08-2002, 12:38 PM
.....The Stripers are coming !!!.......The Stripers are coming!!!.......

.....Got Metal??....

....what will be one of your first "lures" to try this upcoming month??.....

bloocrab
03-08-2002, 12:48 PM
:D:D:D.....

...I don't like posting numbers or sizes, (cuz I LOVE to fish, not brag)....but one of these got me "a lot" of fish...last semister ;)...

...2 1/2 " long...5/8 oz. and it sinks!!!.....:eek:

.....yeah, this one's a new one.....I finally found them again....the last ones a bit beat up...;)

....you definately want to change or at leaset remove one of the hooks..first reason being EXCESSIVE!!..you don't wanna hurt those puppies....2nd reason being....I was also using this sucka during the peanutbunker phase (in the Fall)....with only one of the trebbles...and they are weak!! after the 5th fish it was bent out of whack...;)

...not that I have anything to brag about anyway.....

bloocrab
03-08-2002, 01:04 PM
...you can even post your favorite "BlooCrab" enticer!!!....:D:D

Saltheart
03-08-2002, 01:11 PM
One of these

Tattoo
03-08-2002, 01:31 PM
Bloo, what is that hunk of metal called?

bloocrab
03-08-2002, 01:44 PM
...you mean the Master of Kast???.....:D:D......

Fish_Eye
03-08-2002, 02:06 PM
When the water temperature is still low and the first little guys show up, I like to use a small jig tipped with a tripple ripple tailed grub. White with red thread for the jig and white or pearl for the tail. Very s-l-o-w retrieve, occasionally hitting the bottom to kick up a little sand or mud. Early spring is a time when bass are feeding on grass and sand shrimp -- anything that kicks up the bottom replicates a fleeing shrimp that jets out of the sand or mud. Erie style jig offers a lot of action and is worth trying from time to time. Here are a few different styles to choose from:
http://www.miniaturemolds.com/Do-It/contents.htm

By mid-May you can expect to connect with the bigger bass using one of them there Kastmasters. A teaser in the front won't hurt either.

I have a question for you folks:

Where do you expect to catch your first keeper size striper from?

GBOUTDOORS
03-08-2002, 02:26 PM
My first keeper will come from the westport river on one of these.
:)

BruceinRI
03-08-2002, 02:46 PM
I fish the Narragansett Bay. We're still wondering when we're going to catch the last bass of the season.

Fish_Eye
03-08-2002, 03:01 PM
Bruce,

It's sure been a good year for hold over fish. You been fishing the Providence area all winter...or even farther south?

GB,

Have you been using the Hooligans for a while? I've used them all over the world and have caught more different fish on them then you can imagine. The silverside is great for dolphin and the menhaden model is great for amberjack and tuna. They work great on the drop and I think you'll find a few keepers at the end of your line by using them.

Mike

chris L
03-08-2002, 03:06 PM
I dont fish for schoolies ! . I chase 3 and 4# trout and weakfish in April and May . I wait till the end of May for stripers . Then start traveling for them in June .

GBOUTDOORS
03-08-2002, 03:08 PM
Glad to hear that they are that good Mike. I have not used them at all yet. Picked up some this winter Knowing that the fish would like them as much as I did.:D

Tattoo
03-08-2002, 03:09 PM
Bloo, NO the other one.

bloocrab
03-08-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Tattoo
Bloo, what is that hunk of metal called?

....I call it my "Baby".....:D

schoolie monster
03-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Chris L,

How was the weakfish fishing last year? I know two years ago they seemed to be back strong to the point that I saw a couple articles about them.

They seemed to be poised to become a viable fishery again... then they were declared recovered, the regs were loosened and I didn't hear squat about them last year.

I need to dig the On the Water article out... it detailed some florida flats style site fishing in some RI estuaries and rivers. Sounds pretty fun to me.

chris L
03-08-2002, 03:34 PM
I caught a number of them last year .The biggest couple topped 9#s . I walked the beach a couple times and the beach was littered with large weaks caught . And of course everyone said you should have been here last night . Last year was the best I have ever seen at West Haven sandbar or antwhere in Ct for that matter . They are a blast especially cause you have to careful not to pull loose from their soft lips . I caught them on 1 and 1.5 oz Krocodiles . Any thing flashy or yellow was working good .

bloocrab
03-08-2002, 04:17 PM
How else is GB "accla-mating" himself for the schoolie season???....

.....:D:D:D

chris L
03-08-2002, 04:19 PM
fishhead fishhead rolly polly fishhead . fishhead fishhead eatum up yum !

good one Mr Crab !

03-08-2002, 04:21 PM
3/8oz white jig with a 4" Berkley white power grub softy.. usually works well on the early stripers...

Tattoo
03-08-2002, 05:04 PM
1/2 oz lead head with 4 inch white shad body.

Hey BLOO, just went for a "test" run....seems like someone has been togging in that spot we talked about dropping some silver bullets in.....but on my side of the bridge....

Got Stripers
03-08-2002, 05:20 PM
I'll be throwing plastic, not the bigger split tails, but the 6-1/2 inch Half Jerks in smoke/glitter. I'm also hoping to get together with someone that knows the islands to try my luck on the flats this year.

Goose
03-08-2002, 05:44 PM
In the past, first week on may seems to be the month keepers start showing. I've done well throwin 1 1/4 Atoms (white) or the simular size creek chub in (yellow/red head). Right now and for a number of years I've found that "Gill Rackers" (fresh water bait) is the deadliest thing on the schoolies. I bite off 1 inch of the head and rig it on a 1/4 oz jig. METAL?? small mega bait, silver W/ black back, kicks buttox....but never tried early season....I,ll give it a shot this year.

GBOUTDOORS
03-08-2002, 05:55 PM
Good one Bloo if I could hold my breath that good my name would be FISH_EYE