View Full Version : fish artwork...

Mr. Sandman
12-07-2005, 07:40 PM
One of my fishing buddies knocks on my door today (no one ever knocks on my door) and says he has something for me.... hands me this. He has been doing this Asian fish art called goyataku, kind of a Japanese fish print thing. He goes to Hawaii in the winter and learned it there. He is in a few galleries here on MV and Nantucket. We fish together a bunch of trips on each other’s boats all season. I have provided him many of his specimens he uses for his work (generally species that most people don't catch) On my last tog November trip I asked him if he ever printed a tog...he said no but he would love to, I ran this over to his "studio"...which is the coolest fishing shack you have ever seen. (6' from the waters edge). Anyway I have a few of his works now fluke sea bass and now this tog. If ever you want some interesting fish related artwork that is reasonably priced...look into goyatako.

tattoobob
12-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Very fine indeed

vineyardblues
12-08-2005, 07:39 AM
Very nice artwork :D

We used to do it for years after reading about it in a fishing rag.
I will try and post a pic tonight.

The best part was it's a family event on the beach.First catch a bluefish. The easy part on the Vineyard:bl:

Dig a small hole in the sand and lay the fish flush with the sand,take some tooth picks and fan out the fin's. Next paint the fish with ink and then lay the rice paper over the fish and rub. Peel off and you now have a work of art! The kid's had more fun then us and used diff colors. You can also use a star fish and shells as add ons.
VB

maddog2020
12-08-2005, 09:30 AM
There is a store in Chatham that sells t-shirts like that. Nice lady who owns it. She gets her specimums from a local fisherman who comes over now and then w/ neat stuff her has netted/caught.

She told me she has to keep the almost fish frozen for the most part. Some of her fish she uses were several yrs old. She can only work w/ the fish for about 45 mins before it has to go back in the freezer.

Hardware store in town is pretty good as well. :D

MakoMike
12-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Cool! I have been toying with the idea of having Nebe make me something. I may get around to it after the holidays, when he isn't so busy.