View Full Version : Ringtones for fishermen...where can I find?

Mr. Sandman
12-08-2005, 01:49 PM
I was looking for a screeming drag ringtone for my phone, has anyone ever seen anything like that?
You know, the sound a 50W makes when you hook up to a giant.

MakoMike
12-08-2005, 01:57 PM
If you find it please let me know!

Mr. Sandman
12-08-2005, 02:01 PM
I know of this sound but I would have to capture it and convert it and I think the quality would suck.

http://www.outdoorsmagazine.net/store/audio/REEL.wav

MakoMike
12-08-2005, 03:15 PM
If you weren't so far away I could just bring one of my offshore reels over and we could record the sound as one of us stripped line off the reel.

Mr. Sandman
12-08-2005, 03:22 PM
I have not tried very hard but I have not been able to convert a .wav file to a nokia ringtone and upload onto my phone. (So many other things to do ahead of this) I just a soon purchase it for 2 bucks someplace.

I will try to convert that wav file above.

My purpose is to have this reel sound only tied to my fishing buddies in the address book, so when someone calls me relating to fishing I know from the screaming drag that it is important, otherwise I get the standard ringtone which means it is not important.

The Iceman 6
12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I like the way you think Sandman...

chris L
12-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Id rather have a screaming drag than the crap they give me to chioose from .

MoroneSaxatilis
12-08-2005, 04:17 PM
I HATE cellphones, yet I feel like I can't live without mine. I upgrade to a new phone about every 18 months. I've had cheapo "free phones" and top end expensive ones. Price seems to make no difference in the way they perform or whether or not they will crap the bed.
I have my current one set up so that when I turn it off or on, it makes NO sound, such as some annoying jingle tone thingy. If I have a voice mail waiting, it vibrates ONCE and never makes any sound.
Regurdless of what model phone I may be using, my ringtone is Always just the simplest telephone ring sound. I find custom and/or "whacky" ringtones to be Very annoying.
Having said all this, I think having a screaming reel ring tone set for calls from fishing partners may be the best idea I've ever heard reguarding cellies. Maybe it would be possible to add someone screaming "Fish On!" in the background!

;) :call:

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2005, 09:07 AM
I am getting close..last night I got the screaming reel/fishon wav file, edited it somewhat and converted to a ring tone and even had it sent to my phone but I am having some minor cell-internet trouble downloading to the phone itself, I will work on that later tonight. I think I can do this. :musc:

If I get it working I'll tell you the steps, it sounds awesome.

Slipknot
12-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Jim, check your voice mail :faga: :hidin: :D

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Jim, check your voice mail :faga: :hidin: :D

:fishslap: LOL!
I heard it go off in the other room, listened to the screaming reel voice mail you left (and heard the chuckle in the background)...I didn't recognize the number but did a reverse search and saw it was you.

Your name will be set to a screaming reel ringtone

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2005, 11:31 AM
I am not a ringtone expert but I thought there should be a way to separate the important (fishing) calls just from the tone itself. I have it working now.

There are a couple of ways you can have your phone ring to a screeming fishing reel with a fellow yelling FISHON! when one of your fishing buddies calls.

I captured the wav file above , and edited it as needed. (go to the link and right click and do a "save as") You can then use a one time free program call xingtone.com to convert the wave file and send it to your cell particular phone. It works OK but can be troublesome at times and takes a little while to get it all working.

Another (simpler but slightly poorer quality but still OK) way is to just play the tone over your computer speakers and record it on your phones voice recorder, then set it as a ringtone. (Slip told me about this...I was unaware you could do this)
Then simply create a fishing "group" on your phone and link all your fishing buddies to this fishing group. You can then assign a unique ringtone to this group..assign the fishing reel ringtone. Everyone else gets the deflult tone.

So if I hear "BZZZZZZZzz..FISHON!!! BZZZZZZ" I know that it is someone very important.

OK enough time on this, BTW who do I bill all this time I spent this morning to?

MoroneSaxatilis
12-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Neither my carrier (Verizon) nor my phone (LG VX4500) are supported by Xingtone.com

:hs: :mad: :realmad: :splat:
:bsod:

MoroneSaxatilis
12-09-2005, 12:07 PM
I found several ringtone makers on Tucows, but everytime I try to D/L, I get a "Temporary Network Error" message. Tried disabling AntiSpyware & Firewall to no avail.

:huh: :bsod:

Swimmer
12-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Really cool idean, Jim.........This could revolutionize fishermens' phones.:happy:

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2005, 01:18 PM
MoroneSaxatilis,
I feel your pain. However, can you record a brief (15 sec or so) voice message on your phone? If so, you can probably record the reel sound and set it as a ringtone without downloading anything.

there might also be other software that does this as well that works with your provider, again, I am no expert.... I think the problem is that each company has their own format for playing music or tones. Some newer phones will play mp3s, others require special encoding. Your best bet may be just to record it if you can with the phone directly as Slipknot suggested and avoid the entire format issue.

MoroneSaxatilis
12-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Sandman...
I sure appreciate all the help and I see what you mean about the time and effort that goes into this. I was able to D/L a shareware ringtone maker from Tucows on my other machine and email it to myself. I was able to use it to create a ringtone using the last part of the .wav and it sounds really cool. I was able to use the software to send a text msg to my phone containing the URL for D/Ling the file onto my phone. there's just ONE little problem: My phone SUCKS! :biglaugh:
I studied the users manual for my phone,and it's either the phone, Verizon's web service, or both that seem to be very proprietary and I am unable to D/L the file from the txt msg to the fone. It seems to only run the "Get It Now" stuff and the web service is 5 bux/month and proprietary as well, from what I can see. My phone is not record capable either. None of this really matters anyway. We are beyond our 18 month replacement cycle and we are planning on getting new phones right after Christmas and adding our oldest (13 year old girl) to our Family Share plan and getting her her first phone. I'll make sure that the one I get is capable of doing what I need it to do. By the way, the proggie I used is called CreateRingtone! and had a 3 Cow rating from Tucows. It's really simple to run and has a 15 day trial period.
All this from a guy (me) who claimed in an earlier post that I hate annoying custom ringtones! BAHAHAHAHAHA!
:p :tooth: :doh: :jump1: :smokin: :D :confused: :bo:

Mr. Sandman
12-09-2005, 01:33 PM
zipped wav file I used:

MoroneSaxatilis
12-09-2005, 01:38 PM
I chopped it down to this...

SolOmoN
12-09-2005, 06:15 PM
that has to one of the funniest things.... I d/l it... used camtasia studio to edit it.... then converted it toan mp3 to keep the quality.... now all i have to do is get everybodies phone number and I'm all set.... lmao.

sol...

toddonbi
12-10-2005, 10:14 AM
try free ringers .net. read through all the bs first so it goes smoothly. you can have up to four or so different numbers for an account.