View Full Version : Awseome sight.

fishaholic18
12-08-2005, 07:00 PM
This was cool.

Swimmer
12-08-2005, 07:22 PM
Was that really an eagle? What town do you come from?

afterhours
12-08-2005, 07:25 PM
bald eagle, don't see many of those.

Raven
12-08-2005, 08:04 PM
been wanting to see a wild eagle all my life without having to go to nova scotia.... thanks for the pic...

BigFish
12-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Saw one in Plymouth a couple years ago....landed in a tree above where I was fishing! I could not believe it...just a beautiful moment!

justplugit
12-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Beautiful shots F18. :kewl: He/she probably has a mate and will winter over near some open water. You may get to see some fledgelings in the spring. :D

BigFish
12-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Hopefully they will nest near some plump, helpless plovers!:drool:

seabass
12-08-2005, 08:59 PM
saw one in Middleboro on Tuesday, maybe they're on the rise?:huh:

Redsoxticket
12-08-2005, 09:44 PM
One day will riding a dirt bike in the Rutland, MA I saw a eagle on top of a pile of rubble that someone had dumped.

Slipknot
12-08-2005, 09:57 PM
been wanting to see a wild eagle all my life without having to go to nova scotia.... thanks for the pic...

try Long pond just across rt.105 from Assawompsett pond in Lakeville ,
you'll see a nest up on a pole.

or try Quabbin, there's plenty

vineyardblues
12-09-2005, 07:22 AM
Quabbin, Is unreal. They follow you around and then dive for the fish you release :rotf2:
They also have many many other birds. If you have never been out their .It's time!
VB

MotoXcowboy
12-09-2005, 01:05 PM
That is cool. I had no idea they even lived near us. Thanks for sharing the pix..

Swimmer
12-09-2005, 01:19 PM
I had a huge hawk in the trees that are at the back property edge two days ago. Snapped a picture of it facing the other way overlooking a ten acre field. It usually is in the 100' tall pine trees about five hundred feet northeast of my house. That is a sight to see but not like the eagle.

The hawk that I saw or one of its relatives a few years ago swooped down about five feet from me in my front yard and scooped up and then ate the baby titmouse bird on the grass. I was just about to reach down and pick up the baby bird and put it back in the nest that was in the male holly bush but the hawk beat me to it. Scared the living bejesus right out of me. It took two swallows as it flew off and that was it.

Only time I have scene an eagle up close was Edison Lake in Califonia. Three of them flying around at the lakes edge near its nest. Absolutely breath taking.

nissan200sx
12-09-2005, 02:39 PM
Quick eagle story. A Friend was flyfishing in Maine. He was packing up near the edge of the water and was greated by an older woman and her lapdog. During the conversation she let the dog wander a bit knowing it wouldn't go far.

To her horror, an eagle swooped down and seized the dog. My freind had to comfort the woman as the eagle flew away with a screaming dog in it's claws. She fainted from the horror and had to be taken to the hospital.

whiplash
12-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Watch along I 195 east bound in the spring during the herring run and you'll see eagles along the wee wee and sippican rivers. Had a similar experience in Maine up on Junior Lake a few years ago - saw an eagle swoop down and take a small dog that was out on the ice while its owner was pulling his tilts -dog had to have weighed 8-9 lbs . Now if they would only eat plovers

PP/TLC

Raven
12-09-2005, 03:28 PM
off that story...a friend and i were climbing this small mountain in upperstate new york near the canadian border when we came apon this guy who was extremely alergic to bee stings and had stepped
on a (in the ground) white faced hornet's nest.....and had been stung...on the trail about 3/4's of the way up the mountain.

By the time we found him he was nearly dead and could barely speak
so we had only two options....either run to his car and get him the anti-venom syringe in his glove compartment and run it back up the mountain or....carry him semi -firemen style down the mountain to save time...in essense a one way trip...which is what we decided to do...ok...anyways we each grabbed limbs and were running i mean running as fast as we could to his car....and sadly he had passed out
but was still breathing but just barely....so we knew he was almost out of time or life... but we were exhausted already as this guy was heavy...so I said: don't worry about dropping him or banging into trees so much! as much as possible get him to his freakin car ASAP. well we must have crashed him ,dropped him 6 times on the way down....laughing our heads off too, :hee: but it was either that...or he was a gonner for sure. Anyways we finally made it
and injected him with anti -venom and gave him water and he revived in short time....well enough to drive off on his own. :wave:

RI Popper
12-09-2005, 06:13 PM
great pic's thank you for sharing it with us. :)
Armand

Uncle Matt
12-10-2005, 08:01 AM
I saw one land above me in a tree at the Wachusett Reservoir last week. I've worked that area for 5 years now and that was the first one I've seen. The bird was huge.

Thom
12-16-2005, 11:12 AM
We Have four nests within an hour of my house all are located on the CT. River. If you want to see some birds later this winter take a drive up to the big Q in Belchertown go to the enfield lookout usally good for a few birds depending on the weather. Oh yeah every once in a while they have a Golden eagle there as well as the Bald eagles. ThomT

striperman36
12-16-2005, 11:22 AM
They have been on Long Pond in Plymouth since at least 1988. Big animals. Go to Alaska they are like seagulls.

Bill

InTheHole
12-16-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm with striperman36, that's an alaskan seagull, known to carry off unsuspecting poodles and other small wothless 4 legged pets in the middle of winter.:hihi:

NJTackle
12-16-2005, 05:39 PM
Did a cruise from Seattle to Alaska a few years back and loved it!!! On one of the excursion in Skagway we did a river boat ride to see some eagles. Beautiful county there!!!

Here are some pics.

http://photo.danecker.com/data/530/1IMGP0730.JPG

http://photo.danecker.com/data/530/1IMGP0737.JPG

http://photo.danecker.com/data/530/1IMGP0750.JPG

PI guy
12-16-2005, 05:48 PM
We've got a few up here on the Merrimac, next time any of you are on their way up to NH or ME on 95 check near the bridge that goes over the river just after the Newburyport exit. They have been hanging out in the trees by the river for quite a few years now. Only problem is once they start frequenting an area Uncle sam has a habit of labeling anywhere they go "nesting habitat" and all of a sudden its near impossible to do anything w/ your land. I have a side job on a farm not too far from this bridge and we cannot cut any trees down w/out having an official come down and approve that what we are going to take down is not "habitat". That being said, they are definately beautiful birds. (I had to rant for a bit)

"uffah!!"
12-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Have only seen one this past year flying over Gorden's Pond in Apponaug. Right behind the Warwick Police station.

Thom
12-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Saw one this afternoon on the way home from work/

sok
12-16-2005, 10:41 PM
PI guy, Chain Bridge? Or the other side? Ran over that bridge about a million times. Never saw one. Always made a point of looking out whatever side I was on. Just to see if anyone was fishing when I was at work.

Same idea, different bird.
Pretty sure I saw an osprey on Sluice pond in Lynn about two months ago.(Trout fishing; sorry)
Best I can tell it was an osprey from what info I could find.
Did not look like a golden.
Seven foot wingspan? Came in toward the pond from behind us, right over our heads. He got skunked too.

Rappin Mikey
12-16-2005, 10:56 PM
I see a Bald Eagle (no, not my brother or me) every once in a while at Coast Guard in Truro. I also sometimes see one fishing on the Ct river in western MA during the Spring. They're cool. When I was little kid, I climbed a huge pine and found an aerie. I remember I could stand on it. That is a mazing to me.

PI guy
12-17-2005, 12:14 AM
95 bridge. You might see one from the Chain though.