View Full Version : WIND

spence
12-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I'm heading out right now to see if I can put a giant pikie cleanly over the Sakonnet River.

Ron Arra my :faga:

Nearly 60 mpg gusts!!!

My yard looks like a freakin war zone.

-spence

rhodyflyguy
12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
i just heard from my grandparents who have a place on ninigret pond in RI, they have this like 4" duameter flag pole, it snapped in half earlier.

Pete_G
12-10-2005, 12:32 AM
The flag pole at the Fisherman's Memorial on Brenton Point snapped in half today as well. I haven't seen any wind like that since Bob.

It was scary to drive around Newport, between the traffic lights being out and the tree branches falling everywhere.

basswipe
12-10-2005, 08:24 AM
The flag pole at the Fisherman's Memorial on Brenton Point snapped in half today as well. I haven't seen any wind like that since Bob.

It was scary to drive around Newport, between the traffic lights being out and the tree branches falling everywhere.

I'm working on a house near the Newport CC so I had a birdseye view of the Pt. during the full rage of the storm.What a mess.

Hooper
12-10-2005, 08:34 AM
That was awesome yesterday! I was working patrol, looking forward to getting down at 4pm, and thinking at 2pm as the sun came out, "Maybe I'll go running outside after work" Then between 230 and 3pm it got dark and what a wind! The all hell broke loose! Wires down causing fires everywhere, car crashes, trees fallen across main roads having to be shut down, total chaos!

At one point yesterday we had 21 officers out on the roads and we could have used double that, what a day! I love wild weather, when the boat is out of the water that is...:bl:

JohnR
12-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Yeh - was nasty. When the Newport Bridge was shut down I was debating the Mt Hope or just head to a gettogether in Marshfield. I waited it out a little and got traffic reports from RI and Boston and neither would work. The Scenic Highway along the canal was a supposed impassible sheet of ice, 5 mph traffic, roads still snow covered :eyes:

spence
12-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Head there were a few places, Sakkonet Pt and on the Cape that registered 70+mph...

-spence

Karl F
12-10-2005, 10:03 AM
try 80 plus.. I just got power at my house, probably due to the underground wiring in the area... took a ride, town looks like a war zone wires down everywhere, trees, signs, chimney top blew off one house went through the deck.
Wild at the store yesterday, we could watch the transformers blow up down the street, sky would light up blue for each one. One guy watched the pole go over, stopped so it wouldn't hit him, and the wires ended up all over his truck, he sat and waited 15 minutes till NSTAR showed up...
heard that Brewster and Eastham got it worse than Orleans.. all them locust trees... no roots.. and them pines that are all loaded with borers now, snap about halfway up.. bunch came down around me, thankfully hit nothing of value...
look at CCTimes online, I hear they have pictures posted, or will soon.
My digi puked, or I woulda snapped a bunch... I'm still a bit shocked by the stuff I saw this AM... was like a hurricane... we even had like an eye pass over, no wind, blue sky, everybody was like, it's over... then bamm dark sky, and wind like it was coming out of the back of a jet motor.. blew the ligh fixtures off the roof of the store, they was swing by the wires in front of the door... I roped them and tied them off to the upright posts... we stayed open right thru it for a few hours, no power and all.. was busy... :hihi:
might go in for a while today.. waiting to hear fom the boss....

MoroneSaxatilis
12-10-2005, 10:52 AM
WHDH Channel 7's high weather tower in Nantucket Sound recorded a 90 MPH gust last night.

tattoobob
12-10-2005, 11:26 AM
I heard Plymouth had 9 MPH winds yesterday
We had high winds and 15 inches of snow I
have to go clean up the driveway now