View Full Version : Good Bye Buoys

relentless
12-09-2005, 07:12 PM
I just read the NTM (Notice to Mariners) for the First Coast Guard District. On or about the 15th of December, the Coast Guard will delete (remove) the Cape Ann LB 2 (east of Cape Ann) and further down the coast off Scituate and Marhsfield the "H" buoy.

BigBo
12-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Why is that Dave? Just to reduce maintenance costs? Just curious.

beamie
12-10-2005, 08:45 AM
Where will everybody go fishing now:huh: What a decent spot for everything from Tuna on down to Mackeral. Good thing we got those numbers marked:D

I do remember last summer when I cruised by that closely it didn't look like it had been out of the water and serviced in quite some time. Probably going for cost cutting,.... plus what is it really marking?

riverrat55
12-10-2005, 06:18 PM
test:D

relentless
12-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Well,

Here is how it works and why these buoys will be gone. The CG is often looking a tevaluating waterways, it is called a WAMS process. When they do, someone may decide to delete, change or add aids to navigation in and area. ONce decided, it goes out to public comment. Usually if no comment is recieved the project goes on. WHat happened here (speculation) it was published in the NTM that the CG was considering deleting the two aids and no one responded, so let's do it. This saves substantial ATON $$$ whcih can be reprogrammed in another harbor.

Back to these two buys, what are they there for. They basically were offshore aids used for the tug and barge fleet and coastal tanker trades running towards Portland and Bangor from the canal. With today's GPS and plotters they really are not needed anymore.

Dave