View Full Version : Daiwa Emblem Pro 4500/5500

JohnR
12-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Whooze got 'em and what do you think about them? Especially how they hold up after getting dunked and then drag on fish?

Thanks!

John

Slipknot
12-13-2005, 06:08 PM
I am not sure of the exact model I have but I use it jigging the canal since it can't take getting dunked according to fishweewee. It casts great and has awesome drag so it works in the canal for me. No surf there to worry about.

CANAL RAT
12-13-2005, 08:20 PM
it casts great but dont even think of dunking or getting sand in it.it has lots of nooks and cranies to get sand into so watch out. one down side is that is is made of alot of plastic

t.orlando
12-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Absolute no dunk, other than that decent reel for money

BasicPatrick
12-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Great for distance....question as to when it gets wet...absolutely no sand...might be a wicked pissa football reel also

JohnR
12-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Is this the same with the newer Z series??

chief10
12-14-2005, 11:20 AM
I have 2 of the 5500's. get the 5500 it's the same weight ,same specs as the 4500, but more braid capacity. never dunked it at the canal but the drag is excellent.with 30 lb braid you can launch a plug.no complaints here.

Steve K
12-14-2005, 12:42 PM
might be a wicked pissa football reel also

I second that. I have a 5500 that I use at the canal and when chasing tuna. Fantastic reel. I have used mine on the sand too with no issues.

BasicPatrick
12-15-2005, 12:55 AM
John,

The usual suspects at the canal are using the emblem pro 5500 on Lami "L" blanks with incredible distance

JohnR
12-15-2005, 08:44 AM
Steve - what about when wet??

Is there anything proactively that can be done to mitigate sand and water issues on it??

Steve K
12-15-2005, 01:55 PM
John,

I have gotten mine wet but not dunked and it has been flawless. Would it be my first choice when wading out to a rock, no but I would not hesitate to use it from the sand. I have not opened mine up yet to see if any water got in.

Steve

CANAL RAT
12-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Steve - what about when wet??

Is there anything proactively that can be done to mitigate sand and water issues on it??
rinse it good with soap and water and run a Q-tip along parts that look like they could collect sand

t.orlando
12-15-2005, 03:57 PM
John, 1 night getting dunked and then rinsed. Still rusted. Had a sand issue also. Lost 2 big fish due to sand getting into reel. A really snotty nite at Nauset, so not a big, or all the time issue. If your that concerned with where your gonna be fishing it I would advise against.

JohnR
12-15-2005, 05:26 PM
rinse it good with soap and water and run a Q-tip along parts that look like they could collect sand

I serve all my own conventionals so fairly well versed in cleaning reels (though I should finnish putting my Stradic together :whackin: ). I was looking more for tricks beyonf the N.I.B. approach that might make it better...

John, 1 night getting dunked and then rinsed. Still rusted. Had a sand issue also. Lost 2 big fish due to sand getting into reel. A really snotty nite at Nauset, so not a big, or all the time issue. If your that concerned with where your gonna be fishing it I would advise against.

You know some of the places I fish so they can get wet - I guess this might be out...

Any comparable reels casting wise that are more friendly getting soaked?

basswipe
12-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Any comparable reels casting wise that are more friendly getting soaked?

Most reels like the Emblem Pro are very fickle when it comes to dunking it would seem.

Forgive me for saying this but...I've spoken with more than one person who uses an Okuma Axeon reel and they swear by them.

Who's to say.

justplugit
12-15-2005, 08:37 PM
John, have 5500 and 4500's ( capricorn models) luv e'm both.Built to cast braid and has a very smooth micron drag. Wet no problem, rinse real good. Dunked one and it lasted 2 more trips. Sent it back to Daiwa ($10) and they sent me a new reel.:D