View Full Version : What is...........

Flaptail
12-14-2005, 02:47 PM
the most bouyant wood to feasibly make plugs out of? I am trying to gather materials for the after X-MAS plug building time with the new lathe and tools. I want to spin some birds for tuna trolling and most birds are highly compressed foam or Balsa. Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for your help.

RIROCKHOUND
12-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Flap gonna try the same thing; thinking AYC or Pine should work OK... lexan wings and extra heavy wire....

Bernzy
12-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Western Red Cedar would get my vote. It's readily available,inexpensive, very buoyant ( moreso than AYC ), naturally water repellent (I would still seal it) and it turns nice.

1 note of caution though.......wear a respirator as the dust is not very good to breathe.

Bernzy

UserRemoved1
12-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Alabama Swamp Cedar Steve. Next time you going thru my area lemme know and I'll throw a few sticks to you. The good stuff is chocolate in color. Wicked pretty bare too.

BassAssasin
12-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Alabama swamp cedar? Is that another name for swamp cypress? If you're looking for a buoyant wood I would go with white cedar.

UserRemoved1
12-14-2005, 08:23 PM
BA,It's a cypress that grows in some sections of Alabama and the Mississippi Delta area. It is a very slow growth wood, very similar to red cedar but properties are closer to a white cedar. Because it's slow growth the grain is very very tight on the heartwood, in some cases you cannot distinguish the grain lines from one to the next they are so close.

Jigman
12-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Red and white cedar and basswood. Red and white would probably hold up better.

Jigman

Flaptail
12-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks to all that replied! Scott that sounds interesting, next time I am up at my Uncle's in Uxbridge I will call you.

BassAssasin
12-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Is it hard to find? Expensive?

BA,It's a cypress that grows in some sections of Alabama and the Mississippi Delta area. It is a very slow growth wood, very similar to red cedar but properties are closer to a white cedar. Because it's slow growth the grain is very very tight on the heartwood, in some cases you cannot distinguish the grain lines from one to the next they are so close.

JHABS
12-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Good Old Jersey Cedar would work just fine, Played with Tuna birds years ago used pine.

justplugit
12-15-2005, 12:46 PM
Good Old Jersey Cedar would work just fine, Played with Tuna birds years ago used pine.

Ya got a source for the white ceda, Flapster. :huh:

winchmaster
12-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Flap would you like to try some old growth redwood?
I'll ship you some if you send me the lengths you wil need.
If not the western red is very bouyant but the stuff really is a batch to get it smooth.

UserRemoved1
12-15-2005, 03:01 PM
BA hard to find yes sometimes because it's a old growth wood and because of where it lives it's not a big production wood because of what it takes to get it. It's not usually expensive to get it if you can hook up with the right guys. It's a popular wood for outdoor furniture down south.

Is it hard to find? Expensive?

Tagger
12-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey Scott.. I been getting this pine its 2x2.5 say and the put it on the floor as dunnage to pile steel stud on during building construction .. I was told it was swamp pine .. Pine that grows in the swamp and the grain was all screwed up in it ... well the grain is tight... turns excellent ..U ever hear of swamp pine ?

UserRemoved1
12-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Tagger I think swamp pine is also known as southern yellow pine (syp)

capesams
12-15-2005, 05:25 PM
I think there's like/up to 6=7 different kinds of pine that can live/grow in low wet area's..they tend to lump them all together under one name,,swamp pine...long leaf and s. yellow is two of them in that group. but you wouldn't want that to turn with..could be you have either loblolly- -slash.

steelhead
12-15-2005, 05:43 PM
My limited experience with southern yellow pine was that it was pretty heavy. Now I'm wondering what it really was....

Vermonter
12-15-2005, 06:24 PM
SYP is fairly heavy Steelhead, in fact while its a pine and a softwood its heavier than several hardwoods(poplar, elm and maybe chestnut are all I can think of right now). And there are definately no shortage of different pines east of the Miss.

Tagger
12-15-2005, 08:58 PM
this swamp pine is pretty light stuff..

Slipknot
12-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Balsa

UserRemoved1
12-16-2005, 05:33 AM
Ed so is the cedar too. It floats pisser.

RIROCKHOUND
12-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Slip;
Is it easy to get 2x2 Balsa? and if so do you actually turn it or just sand it on a lathe?

Slipknot
12-16-2005, 10:15 AM
I don't know how easy it is to get.
I would think that birds would be cut on a bandsaw and edges rounded over. But if they are turned , then yes you can use chisels and then fine sand on lathe.

JHABS
12-16-2005, 10:33 AM
I think you would go crazy deciding what wood to use, You are troliing these birds at how many knots, It would not really matter..................Pine, Bass ,Cedar, Portageee Marble.......They will all work.

Slipknot
12-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Pourtague marble :D hmmm where does one get that wood?
and will it make good floaters?

Habs is right
just make the damn things