View Full Version : ROTD: being too nice while driving

Pete_G
12-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Rant of the Day:

What the hell is with stopping 20 cars just to let one person out onto the roadway? Or even worse the guy who sticks his nose out to stop an entire line of traffic. Do you realize cars burn the most fuel while accelarating? Do you enjoy supporting terrorists, wasting the gas, and burning the brakes of 20 vehicles behind you just to let 1 person out who could have pulled out easily AFTER the train of vehicles passed? I don't get it. If I'm trying to make a difficult left or right I just wait my turn.

I'm tempted to go on a tear about jaywalkers being responsible for half the traffic in Newport too, but I'll save that for spring when the tourists return.

My favorite bumper sticker I've seen in Newport so far this year: "I'm not on YOUR vacation"

spence
12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
Pete,

I think you really should have got out of your car, and jumped on their hood screaming they were a terrorist.

You could pull it off, I know you have it in ya.

-spence

vineyardblues
12-15-2005, 01:17 PM
I have to agree with Pete, And I think it's against the law in Ma to stop on a main road to let someone pull out! Any copper J's out their to chime in ? Uncle Matt ? Anyone!
VB

Krispy
12-15-2005, 01:51 PM
I hate the people on the highway who need to squeeze into the 1 & 1/8 car length I leave between me and the car in front, esp. when theres no-one behind me for a 1/4 mile.
They get the most uncomfortable car ride of their life for 5 min. :behead:

Redsoxticket
12-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Rhode Island is probably the only state where motorist pull out in main traffic and stop expecting you to give them the right of way. Little do they know they do not have the right of way.
I see this all the time. There are motorist in every state but why this driving behavior only in RI.
Could it be that there was no mandatory insurance ( or just plain mentality of RIders) at one time and people developed bad driving skills and generations that followed practiced the same habits. I think that if MA and RI were one state then motorist of RI would see better driving habits.

At least in MA they don't pull out and stop then just pull out and continue in good timing.

hank8001
12-15-2005, 04:41 PM
I think that if MA and RI were one state then motorist of RI would see better driving habits.

:laughs:

:hs:

I take it you haven't driven in MA lately....

1 & 1/8 car length I leave between me and the car in front.

That's not enough space, especially on a highway. If he stands on his brakes you're kissing his bumper.

Brings to mind my biggest driving gripe - when somebody comes roaring up to your rear bumper on a highway and just sits there tailgating, when there's other lanes there if they want to go faster. As an experiment, in this situation I've pulled into the lane to the left and the person will pass you then, in the lane they are in. Other times I just take my foot off of the gas and start going slower and slower, to see at what point the person finally will pass. Sometimes I've been down to 20mph on the highway before the person will pass.

Are they too lazy to change lanes? Do they think that their car is a train (on one track)? It drives me crazy. It's interesting that it's mostly women that do this. Herd instinct?

Raven
12-15-2005, 05:42 PM
My favorite bumper sticker I've seen in Newport so far this year: "I'm not on YOUR vacation"

thats rich Pete.....and thanks for posting it....you made my day
and its been a rough one.... thats for sure...

in fact i have to change my signature now...... too. :wavey:

basswipe
12-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Pete,
Gotta love Newport!

My favorite sticker is still the oldie but goodie "Welcome to Newport,Now go Home" or "Tourists.They're not just for Breakfast anymore".

Mike P
12-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Aw, stop your griping---move to Lawn Guyland where you'll REALLY have a reason for grumpage :D :hihi:

Backbeach Jake
12-15-2005, 08:03 PM
I love it when you're doing 85 in the left lane and the jerk that you're towing flashes his headlights for you to move over. That's when he gets to see what 35 looks like. I slow down gradually so everyone on the right is wizzing by and flashy can't pass. He soon learns that I'm driving the car in front of him and not he. Only happens once a year, word gets around... I used to flash a blue light in reply to their headlights, that was fun but I figured it was only a matter of time before that trick backfired.:shocked:

Raven
12-15-2005, 08:09 PM
quote: Sometimes I've been down to 20mph on the highway before the person will pass.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i just put on my emergency flashers.....works much better and i loose no time.....or if i am driving my 20 year old car i slam on the brakes.

hank8001
12-15-2005, 09:34 PM
quote: or if i am driving my 20 year old car i slam on the brakes.

I only reserve stuff like that for the really flagrant, aggressive tailgaters. A lot of the time it's more of a passive thing, when the person clearly was going about 15 mph faster than you until they get up to your car. Then, rather than taking a little bit of initiative and passing you, they just hang behind you at the same distance. You speed up, they speed up. You slow down, they slow down. :splat:

Krispy
12-16-2005, 09:16 AM
If you guys are in the left lane and tried that "slow down" %$%$%$%$, youd have a real fun time with me.
If someone wants to go faster, get the %$%$%$%$ OUTTA THE WAY!!!!!
Who do you think you are?

LIers are a pleasure compared to the a-holes I run across in New England.

Pete_G
12-16-2005, 09:48 AM
If you guys are in the left lane and tried that "slow down" %$%$%$%$, youd have a real fun time with me.

I'll second that Krispy, the "high speed lane" is actually a passing lane. EVERYONE should basically stay out of it unless you're passing or really flying down the highway. There isn't any good excuse for riding up on someone in a slower lane though. Unless of course someone is roadblocking the passing lane. :nailem:

If you're in the high speed lane, matching the speed of the vehicles to your right, effectively creating a roadblock, there's going to be trouble.

Slower traffic to the right. It's always been that way as far as I know. :confused:

I'm going to ASSUME we all have somewhere we'd rather be then driving, observing basic traffic laws generally would get us there quicker.

fishaholic18
12-16-2005, 10:07 AM
when somebody comes roaring up to your rear bumper on a highway and just sits there tailgating
Drafting
Saves gas...:laughs:

Redsoxticket
12-16-2005, 10:21 AM
I would draft 18 wheelers in my younger days until someone descibed the meaning of decapatation. You would have to get pretty close to feel the vaccume. I most say I have a good head on my shoulders now.

BigBo
12-16-2005, 12:29 PM
I'll second that Krispy, the "high speed lane" is actually a passing lane. EVERYONE should basically stay out of it unless you're passing or really flying down the highway. There isn't any good excuse for riding up on someone in a slower lane though. Unless of course someone is roadblocking the passing lane. :nailem:

If you're in the high speed lane, matching the speed of the vehicles to your right, effectively creating a roadblock, there's going to be trouble.

Slower traffic to the right. It's always been that way as far as I know. :confused:

I'm going to ASSUME we all have somewhere we'd rather be then driving, observing basic traffic laws generally would get us there quicker.
That's fine, but I don't want to drive 50 mph in one lane nor do I want to drive 80 mph in the other. That seems to be your only choices lately.:poke:

Pete_G
12-16-2005, 12:37 PM
I suppose there is center lane abuse going on also on your average 3 lane highway, but if the passing lane was open you could just pass and then settle back into the center lane. But I agree, there are as many center lane hogs as there are in the passing lane.

Germany has drving figured out. Only recently have most German cars received cup holders. You're in the car to drive and get from point A to B. And you're harrassed mercilessly if you sit in the passing lane. It might even be illegal.

Thom
12-16-2005, 01:45 PM
I"m pretty sure in Mass if you are in the passing lane and driveing to slow they can and will give you ticket depending on the time of year and where you are driving. ThomT

The Dad Fisherman
12-16-2005, 02:24 PM

So If I'm driving in the fast lane and going faster than the other 3 lanes but you feel the need to go 90 mph.......I'm just supposed to get in a slower lane so you can get by.....I think not.

I agree that if I'm in the fast lane and driving the same pace as the rest of the traffic I should move over but if I'm going faster and just waiting to pass the slower traffic....then the guy driving up my ass and hitting the brights can basically pucker up and Kiss mine....I'm not moving.

Its like George Carlin said "Everyone going slower than you is an idiot, everyone going faster than you is an a$$hole"

Krispy
12-16-2005, 02:42 PM
So If I'm driving in the fast lane and going faster than the other 3 lanes but you feel the need to go 90 mph.......I'm just supposed to get in a slower lane so you can get by.....I think not.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats exactly what you are supposed to do!!
The left lane is not "the fast lane". ITS THE PASSING LANE :nailem:

The Dad Fisherman
12-16-2005, 03:34 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats exactly what you are supposed to do!!
The left lane is not "the fast lane". ITS THE PASSING LANE :nailem:

If I'm going faster than the other 3 lanes then am I not Passing them? :huh:

And aren't you just doing the exact same thing as me....I'm just not doing it as fast as you would like me to. so you ride up on my butt and expect me to move....again....not happening.

When I get past the slower traffic I'll move....Flashing your brights is'nt going to get me to a) Go Faster or b) Move out of the way.

BigBo
12-16-2005, 04:19 PM
You got it TDF.:tm:

hank8001
12-16-2005, 04:32 PM
I suppose there is center lane abuse going on also on your average 3 lane highway, but if the passing lane was open you could just pass and then settle back into the center lane. But I agree, there are as many center lane hogs as there are in the passing lane.

I wholeheartedly support the "get out of the passing lane if there's someone who wants to go faster" concept, but I have a hard time understanding the "center lane abuse" concept.

If A) I'm in the center lane and B) going at least the speed limit, which is hard not to do, and C) the lane to the left is clear, then I'm going to sit there all day if I please. If somebody else is going faster behind me in the same lane, they're free to use the lane to the left to pass me, as I would do in a heartbeat if I was in the center lane and coming up on them. If they want to make some kind of power game out of it where they're going to tailgate me until I get out of "their" lane, then let the games begin.

Incidentially, the grump I wrote about earlier (people come roaring up and then won't pass) most often happens when I'm driving in the rightmost lane, so that has nothing to do with being a passing lane (or even center lane) hog.

As far as the leftmost lane, like I say I completely support getting out of that lane to let somebody who wants to pass do so - when I can do so without screwing myself over. And when the person behind can maintain a respectful distance until that's possible it's a beautiful thing. More often than not, though, the person behind is a pushy A-hole who tries to intimidate you into getting out of the lane with tailgating. Again, turns into a power game at that point.

Backbeach Jake
12-16-2005, 04:41 PM

If I'm passing everything in sight and you glue yourself to my back bumper, who do you think you are? You think I'm gonna get stuck in the middle lane behind Ma and Pa Kettle just for you?

Krispy
12-16-2005, 04:48 PM
To clear this up. Im not talking about moving out of the center lane to pass the car in front of you and moving back to the center lane. (unless you do it as Im coming up or you squeeze in when there is not enough room) Its the folks doing 75mph in left and sit there, thinking their Speedy McSpeed and wont move when I come up on them, because they are "already going fast".
The courteous thing to do is move into the center for those who are faster, and back into the left lane to pass.

Otherwise you could go from Boston to Miami in the left going a little faster than the center lane.
In traffic, alls fair..

Krispy
12-16-2005, 04:51 PM
If I'm passing everything in sight and you glue yourself to my back bumper, who do you think you are? You think I'm gonna get stuck in the middle lane behind Ma and Pa Kettle just for you?

Who do think you are? I gotta get stuck behind you?
Thats why we love you Mass guys down here. :lasso:

MoroneSaxatilis
12-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Over the course of say... 50 miles, the difference between going 75 MPH and 95 MPH is gonna be what... 10 or 15 minutes? With much shorter distances, significantly less. It is also unlikely that anyone is going to maintain the higher speed for the entire length of the trip. I suppose such a small difference in time is important if you're on your way to work, and you work at one o' those places with really strict attendance rules, or if you're trying to get to some store or something that's going to close if you don't get there on time.
You could always leave a little earlier.
And let's not forget those skyrocketing gas prices that we all b*tch about.
:hee:

Backbeach Jake
12-16-2005, 05:15 PM
Who do think you are? I gotta get stuck behind you?
Thats why we love you Mass guys down here. :lasso:
Ya know I think that you'd fit right in with the Mass crowd. You've got the basic philosophy down pat.
Now this thread is a great example how the driving situation gets out of hand real fast. I'm hoping that you realize that I'm not advocating reckless behavior and just horsing around. A vehicle going 80 mph will eat your butt like a pride of lions if it gets out of control. No offense meant or taken..

Pete_G
12-16-2005, 06:24 PM
I wholeheartedly support the "get out of the passing lane if there's someone who wants to go faster" concept, but I have a hard time understanding the "center lane abuse" concept.

If A) I'm in the center lane and B) going at least the speed limit, which is hard not to do, and C) the lane to the left is clear, then I'm going to sit there all day if I please. If somebody else is going faster behind me in the same lane, they're free to use the lane to the left to pass me, as I would do in a heartbeat if I was in the center lane and coming up on them.

Doing what you're describing isn't the problem, people who crawl in the center lane create the problem. They are the reason a lot of people are unwilling to get out of the high speed, which is really the passing lane. Then that of course frustrates those who are traveling faster.

People seem afraid to pass these days. Or maybe they're just lazy, I don't know. I always try and travel in the center lane and then just pass as needed.

Backbeach Jake
12-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Pete G, i.ve noticed the afraid to pass trend myself . Especially if there is no one ahead of you for miles. They seem to want to be first but are afraid to lead and take responsibility as point man. Point man watches for Staties.

Karl F
12-16-2005, 08:48 PM
I drive Highway at 75-85 depending on flow of traffic, truck just feels "right" at 80...I try to stay in center lane most of time. what really frosts my cookies is the guy who passes me, then pulls right in front of me... and dies down to 65.... OK.. left lane, go by, resume speed, return to center lane... here he comes again left lane, same chit, pulls in, cuts speed... WTF... is that his way of trying to slow me down?... Don't work, sorry... I play the game 2- 3 times, then it's left lane, Hi-Ho silver, away...blow the carbon out real good for a couple miles, than back to my usual pace. what really gets me, is dang if he don't show up again 40 miles down the road....
Staties.... last 6-7 days of the month, keep the eyes real wide, and the detectors on high... seems to be when they need to fill the quota, even though there "is no such thing" ;)
Anybody sitting on my arse at 75-80 in the center lane... and the left, or right, lane is open and available... well, they get the Brake Test, Pronto.. not enuf to get them to hit me, just enuf to get their attention. I truly believe there is a special place in Hell for tailgaters.

hank8001
12-16-2005, 10:24 PM
I play the game 2- 3 times, then it's left lane, Hi-Ho silver, away...blow the carbon out real good for a couple miles, than back to my usual pace.

I used to take this proactive approach to annoying drivers too, until I went though a speed trap while "blowing the carbon out". This happened on RT24 in Portsmouth/Tiverton, which has to be the most heavily patrolled stretch of highway in the United States. Now I just let it go....just too many out there to avoid them.

Raven
12-16-2005, 10:36 PM
on my old ford van so at night driving across country i could flip a switch....complete the ground and make my brake lights go on without slowing down....this usually drives em crazy...

but to totally avoid road rage....i simply tune into classical music

the music that calms the savage beast within (for me)
hard rock and roll and i wanna crawl up their tailpipe..revenge mode
and then i think of the finer things in life and rise above
the whole....... getting bent out of shape experience.

castn4bass
12-17-2005, 11:05 AM
I used to have a hose running to the back bumper on my 66 lesabre that would shoot windshield wiper fluid at anyone that tried to climb up my Arse!! Worked great!!:cheers:

Mike P
12-17-2005, 11:35 AM
For future reference, Karl and Krispy---when and if I finally make it up to Mass, I do handle DMV matters :D :btu: :rotf3:

In these parts 75-85 is an impossible dream between say 5 in the morning and 10 at night.

Swimmer
12-17-2005, 12:19 PM
This post is kind of funny in a way. Some of you guys are trying to straighten out krispy for driving 75 m.p.h. in the high speed, more appropriately known as the passing lane, when 75 m.p.h. is 10 m.p.h. over the maximum speed that your supposed to be traveling. The middle lane use to be referred to as the travel lane and the inside lane was where all the slow pokes should be. If someone wants to travel 75 m.p.h. in the passing lane and that person is in fact passing all the cars in the travel lane then whats wrong?

A friend of mine went to MIT and he and his civil engineering clasmates conducted a study of person driving from point A to point B. Some went the posted speed and sone drove as far as they could to point B. Result was that thier was no discernable difference in the time it took for everyone to arrive, none.

As far as driving to slow in the passing lane and getting a ticket. Thier is a minimum speed law in Mass. but it is not clearly defined and has never been used. Besides wtf, who drives belkow 65 m.p.h. in the outsidelane.

You could put your car in frieking nuetral and get dragged along at close to the speed limit anywhere in Mass.

What about yielding entering the highway? That sign is a farce. Yield means stop if traffic is coming. The most selfish driving behavior in the whole country happens at the end of the on-ramps with people cutting you off. What about the guy who not only cuts you off but ends up in the pasing lane so fast from entering at the on-ramp you dont know how he did it. Its almost like the car he was driving dematerializes and the rematializes in the passing lane. No offense everyone but I reading many posts here written by people who make up the rules as they drive along. And thats why we all pay so much in insurance.

Swimmer
12-17-2005, 12:26 PM
One more thing. What about the trucks. Any commercially registered vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 lbs or more is always supposed to be in the inside, slowpoke lane, unless passing. Never are they supposed to be in the passing lane, unless exiting the highway from a high speed lane exit ramp. And when they are done passing in the travel lane the trucks are supposed to get back in the inside lane. You know how you are in the middle or travel lane and thier a tractor towing a 53' trailer and he is just staying even with other traffic, the truck driver is supposed to be staying even with traffic in the inside lane. In Mass. this includes trucks like F 350's or silverado 3500 that might be commercially registered.

Karl F
12-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks Mike :D... no tickets (so far) mainly cause I'm always getting passed (!)... 495, 24, 93 north of Boston, and certain parts of 3, if you are Not doing 75 in the middle lane, they will push you off the road, as long as it is not rush hour, in that case it's a parking lot... yeah, it might be over the "limit", but if you travel mass roads, you realize that, that, is merely a suggestion.
RI... 95, well, from what I have seen, they have more of a "prescence" there, and I travel accordingly... and the few times I travel 95 thru CT, the state of my birth ;), well, I think that is where aholes, learn how to drive, or what passes for it :hihi:, and I just pray that I make it thru the potholes alive, to get to the traffic jam in NY.

justplugit
12-17-2005, 10:16 PM
Depending on the traffic flow, the safest lanes to drive are either the passing lane or slow lane. Center lane is suicide, as when a truck or car drifts from either side, you have no where to go. I'll take my chances getting a speeding ticket in the passing lane any day rather than getting the crushing squeeze.

Surfcastinglife
12-18-2005, 01:13 AM
whenever someone is driving slow in the left lane i move to the right, and i switch back to the left lane with about 2 inches of clearance. they usually get the message and get the !@#$ out of the lane. and i like the ppl who put on their turn signal and just switch lanes regardless of how close you are to them. "but i had my turn signals on u knew i was switching lanes its ur fault u hit me"

Sea Dangles
12-19-2005, 08:18 PM
2 words;RAMMING SPEED. WTF Pete,You move 2 miles away from work and NOW you bellyache about traffic?

striprman
12-19-2005, 10:23 PM
I'm the guy in the old pickup truck doing 50 in the right lane.

Pete_G
12-19-2005, 11:40 PM
2 words;RAMMING SPEED. WTF Pete,You move 2 miles away from work and NOW you bellyache about traffic?

Some days my 2 mile drive to work takes 15 minutes. :sled:

mrmacey
12-20-2005, 12:24 PM
your sitting waiting to get out of the parking lot they pull in front of you instead of letting you out now the fifty other cars behind them wont let you out so you get a little aggressive and pull out and have to cut someone off to get in they beep and yell but I say wal mart will be there when you get there!:wavey:

MAC
12-21-2005, 06:21 PM
If I am in the left lane and going 75 MPH and passing everyone I stay there. If the middle lane opens up I'll get over. But if the middle lane is chock full and some one pulls up on my bumper expecting me to get over, tough cookies. My thoughts are that they should have left 10 minutes earlier. If you are late for work because you cut it too short timewise , oh well. Life is too short as it is to worry about somebody behind you. I used to get the road rage mindset but not anymore. Sometimes my wife even tells me I drive like an old man now. :hihi:

steelhead
12-21-2005, 07:50 PM
I've got an old Mercedes Turbo Diesel. 300 SD. When someone starts sniffing my tail pipe, I drop it a gear and floor it.... The black cloud that is produced is enough to scare the bejesus out of them! They always drop right back and give me plenty of room... :-) (Course, that means they have to be exceeding 85 to begin with....)