View Full Version : Global warming

Raider Ronnie
12-15-2005, 08:19 PM
I can't remember the last time I heard it talked about in the news or elsewhere!!!
So much for all the talk about the ozone depletion and global warming!
It's frigin cold out!!!
I think we are heading for the 3rd straight winter of record setting cold!!!

Bassman18
12-15-2005, 10:53 PM
global warming leads to global cooling, ironic, ain't it?

BigFish
12-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Science has more theories than facts....I think global warming is more theoretical than fact...what do they base it on? The fact that the average yearly temperature has increased by 1 degree in a hundred years....yeah, gonna hang my hat on that one! Pass the 45 factor please!:hihi:

BigFish
12-15-2005, 11:25 PM
And 100 years ago they were using what to get the air temperature??? :poke:

Skip N
12-15-2005, 11:54 PM
It all depends on who you want to believe i think. You can find 100 scientists to say one thing and 100 to say another. The media reports global warming as fact all the time so i think its been drilled into everyones heads that its totally true. Who the hell really knows!? the earth has had different climate changes for ages right? so why all the hype now? All i know is it is NOT warm out right now!

Bassman18
12-16-2005, 02:39 AM
Science has more theories than facts....I think global warming is more theoretical than fact...what do they base it on? The fact that the average yearly temperature has increased by 1 degree in a hundred years....yeah, gonna hang my hat on that one! Pass the 45 factor please!:hihi:

Global warming is more than a fact, it's a reality that we need to deal with. We may hear about global warming, temperatures increasing...blah blah blah, but it doesn't have much of an effect to us since we don't understand how it affects the world in general. Glaciers are shrinking, the polar ice cap is melting, and more storms are occuring due to global warming. Again, how does that affect us? I'm assuming most of us have seen "the day after tomorrow", and in theory it's pretty accurate, though it can never get that extreme that fast. The fact is that glacial ice is melting and more freshwater is being added to the ocean, which in turn decreases the salinity of the water. When the salinity decreases, the deep ocean current slows down, which makes the gulf stream slow down as well. The heat that the gulf stream contains is responsible for warming northwestern europe and greenland, but if the currents slow down, then the heat will be lost before it reaches the northern latitudes. Over the last 50 years or so the strength of the gulf stream has decreased approximately 30%, and still is decreasing. In a few decades, the temperature in western europe could drop about 18 degrees. Imagine what that would do to the fish...that's how it affects us.

basswipe
12-16-2005, 06:23 AM
One thing is a fact:before all previous iceages the earth warmed dramatically.We are at that point in the cycle that we are approaching another iceage but this time around man has had a direct hand in the warming process.How this will affect things who's to say.

In an aside we are also fast approaching another phenomenon(?) scientists have dubbed a "flip-flop".This a reversal of the magnetic poles.
We are so close in fact that it could realistically happen within our lifetimes.

Nebe
12-16-2005, 09:52 AM
imagine our planet is a car. we can drive it nice and slow and baby the car thus making the car last to 300,000 miles, or we can stomp on the gas pedal, stomp o the brakes, grind the transmission and never change the oil... maybe the car will last 75,000 miles.

In the end this planet's fate is chosen daily by all of our actions, and just remember, GREED is a huge factor in why our government is saying global warming doesnt exist, and Greed is why we are in Iraq, but i digress.. All you have to do is think to yourself, do we wait until there is a serious problem, or do we change things for the better now and not have to worry.
This argument goes for many things including our loved bass. it was greed that almost brought stripers to the brink of extinction. :hs:

BigFish
12-16-2005, 10:01 AM
I think all those glass blowing ovens are the cause for the supposed global warming...at least in the Rhody area!:laughs:

Nebe
12-16-2005, 10:05 AM
I think all those glass blowing ovens are the cause for the supposed global warming...at least in the Rhody area!:laughs:

I use no more gas and electric than a small resteraunt :D

JohnR
12-16-2005, 10:13 AM
There are a lot of scientists that beleive heavily in the existence of human impact on Global Warming, paid to study it and not paid to study it. There are a lot of scientists that are skeptical of human influence on global warming, paid to study it and not paid to study it. There are a few scientists that believe there is no human impact on global warming, of course, they are paid to study it :tm:

Most of the evidence points to man's impact on global warming and the extremes in weather that comes as a result. Unfortunately, "science" is disregarded more by those that also believe that humans are NOT having an impact on "global warming".

Barring wonderful develoments of "SCIENCE" that dramatically increases our life spans, none of us will likely be around for the definitive answer on how much impact humans in the past 100 or so years have had on global climate change. But our kids, grandkids, and great grandkids will.

Is that a chance we can afford to take? Are you willing to let future generations suffer the consequences we can control today?

I remember back in the 70s or 80s, TV commercials showing people wearing dust masks because we razed the forests and polution was rampant, and the moral was what would we leave for our kids and grandkids. It is important that we err on the side of caution so that our kids and grandkids inherit a better, more stable earth and environment. Am I going to live in a Redwood for a year to protect my tree brethern, uh no. But I am going to be at least somewhat proactive to reduce my impact on the environment...

Nebe
12-16-2005, 10:25 AM
But I am going to be at least somewhat proactive to reduce my impact on the environment...
Someone keep him away from the chili at plugfest !! :hihi: :lm:

RIJIMMY
12-16-2005, 10:36 AM
I saw an awesome show on tv about this a few weeks ago. It all has to do with the amont of carbon in the air. Cars, factories, power plants and even our breathing puts tons and tons of carbon into the air. The earth can handle some of this through plants/trees which take in carbon and put out oxygen. Now, as more and more countries become industrialized, more carrs, more factories, more carbon, coupled with less plants and trees, teh earth cannot keep up with teh carbon. the carbon forms the "greenhouse" affect and the earth heats up. It seems pretty basic. I was blown away by the statistic that the earths populaiton doubled since the 1960s.:shocked:

JohnR
Someone keep him away from the chili at plugfest !! :hihi: :lm:

No chilli for me, or coffee in the morning when I'm outa the house :shocked:

bart
ask the polar bears if they believe in global warming :behead:

spence
12-16-2005, 10:38 AM
What disturbs me most about the whole global warming debate, is how corporate interests obfuscate the issues to simply delay any action they feel will impact profit. There's religious influence as well that's simply absurd. Just listen to Rush Limbaugh on the topic...

There's no debate that the Earth is warming, and alarmingly so. Regardless if it's manmade, if humans are exacerbating the issue or if it's completely natural...it's still a global concern that needs to be taken into account or we will make foolish mistakes that should have been quite obvious.

-spence

Swimmer
12-16-2005, 12:11 PM
I THINK GLOBAL WARMING IS MORE FACT THAN ANYTHING ELSE.

I THINK THAT IN ANOTHER 500 YEARS AT 1 DEGREE A CENTURY I'LL WORRY ABOUT IT THEN

I ALSO THINK THAT TECHNOLOGY CAN DEAL WITH ANOTHER ICE AGE; THAT IS, BOMB A GLACIER OUT OF EXISTENCE. THAT IS AS LONG AS IT ISN'T A PLOVER BREEDING GROUND.

I ALSO THINK THAT THE BLACK HOLE THEORY HAS SOME VALIDITY, BUT PROVE IT TO THE DEGREE THAT IT MOVES FROM THEORY TO FACT. WHO IN THIER RIGHT MIND WOULD FLY INTO A BLACK HOLE TO FIND OUT EXACTLY WHATS THERE? ESPECIALLY WHEN THE THEORY IS THAT IS SUCKS EVERYTHING IN TO HELP PERPETUATE ITS EXISTENCE.

THEORIES ARE NEVERENDING WORD EQUATIONS AND WE ALL REMEMBER THOSE FROM SCHOOL. TURN THE PAGE AND IT KEEPS ON GOING AND GOING AND GOING.

RIROCKHOUND
12-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Bomb the glaciers huh.. interesting...

I stay out of the global warming debate alot because as a scientist I dont study it, I am a geologist by trade, and get paid to do geology. I have theories on almost anything else, but they are basically my opinions and SWAGS (Scientific wild ass guesses) None of this is cited, I'm just pulling stuff I;ve read out my head, so dont quote me.

Spence is on the right track for once :D

There is more evidence that global warming is occuring than evidence to the contrary, much more.. To put politics aside and go past the US, the IPCC (Intergovernmental panel on climate change) has published numerous reports. their models and data change, the ultimate results change in scope, but the end result is the same; the earth is warming, sea level is rising etc.. This is 100's of scientists of varying affiliations coming to similar conclusions, thats a pretty strong piece of evidence in my book.

Are having an inpact on the earth as a species? I believe so. How much is just us amplifying an existing natural signal, and how much is just us? I have no clue.

Remember that yeah theories are theories, but I tend to believe the weight of evidence approach. I truly beleive that this administration is trying to bury and hide global warming as an issue.

Also remember that a few cold winters does not mean global warming is BS, in a lot of models some areas get colder with global warming. It's the average Temp of the earth, not just the north east....

"uffah!!"
12-16-2005, 04:49 PM
imagine our planet is a car. we can drive it nice and slow and baby the car thus making the car last to 300,000 miles, or we can stomp on the gas pedal, stomp o the brakes, grind the transmission and never change the oil... maybe the car will last 75,000 miles.

In the end this planet's fate is chosen daily by all of our actions, and just remember, GREED is a huge factor in why our government is saying global warming doesnt exist, and Greed is why we are in Iraq, but i digress.. All you have to do is think to yourself, do we wait until there is a serious problem, or do we change things for the better now and not have to worry.
This argument goes for many things including our loved bass. it was greed that almost brought stripers to the brink of extinction. :hs:

See!, its all Neben's fault. He keeps all the good fishing spots to himself. The rest of us have to ride around and look for the good fishing spots.