View Full Version : Unexpected trip to Mexico.....advice?

Squibby17
12-16-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey guys I found out today I'm going to the Cancun/Mayakoba area in Mexico for only two days next week on business. I of course immediately thought perhaps I could try a few casts for Tarpon and Snook.

I have to travel light so I'm bringing my 4 piece 9# flyrod down with me. Anyone have suggestions as to flys or tactics to try? Let me know I would really appreciate it.

Squibby17
12-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Just got back never did get to toss a line. It was all Business, Business. It was very sad seeing some of the devestation from Hurricane Wilma. Weather was bad too.

To be honest I'm a little dissappointed I never got any feed back from fellow sb members. I'm may have had a better idea as to what I should do. :confused:

Saltheart
12-22-2005, 02:44 PM
I think if I wanted to fish 1 day in cancun , i would arrange a guide or charter through someone you can count on like the hotel , etc and go where the guide says and do what he says and if possible use the equipment he provides. You can't figure it out for yourself in just a day so to maximize the oppurtunity , pay someone who knows what's going on to get you into fish.

OOPs sorry I guess my reply is too late. This didn't catch my eye first time through , Sorry.

Roger
12-22-2005, 03:15 PM
As you probably noticed, there are not too many places to wet a line in Cancun. At least I did not notice any when I was there. You could have hired a guide for fishing the Isla Blanca area, but that would require a day set aside and your post seemed to indicate that was not an option.
OTOH, I didn't want to tell you to forget it since I'm not ann expert on the area.
Perhaps no one knew of a good answer?

missing link
12-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Dont drink the water

missing link
12-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Dont drink the water
= pudding a$$
LINK SR.

Swimmer
12-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Don't drink the friekin water........

Swimmer
12-22-2005, 07:40 PM
Tobe honest Squibby17, nop self-respecting s-b.com member would have fished Cancun. Cabo San Lucas, Cozumel, but not Cancun. Maybe thats why no one replied to your question for info. Cancun is beneath us........:bgi:

Squibby17
12-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Tobe honest Squibby17, nop self-respecting s-b.com member would have fished Cancun. Cabo San Lucas, Cozumel, but not Cancun. Maybe thats why no one replied to your question for info. Cancun is beneath us........:bgi:

Point taken. Honestly I'm more bitter I didn't get any time to relax at all, let alone fish. I was in Mexico City Monday, than Cancun Monday night and Playa Del Carmen Tuesday day. I guess that’s why they call it a business trip.

Playa Del Carmen is an hour south of Cancun and is nice and had some fishy looking water. That’s actually where most people leave to go to Cozumel. If I had the time or $ I would have hired a guide for sure. The two hours I did have were spent at the beach in the rain, drinking coronas and jumping in the tropical waters. So I made the most of my time.

Funny thing was I threw two flies in my fly rod tube which I carried on to the plane thinking if they catch me I’ll just play dumb and let them confiscate them. Well I went through security 4 times and never had a problem. Perhaps they didn't think I could highjack a plane with a lefty deceiver. :hihi: