View Full Version : Firewalls

basswipe
12-17-2005, 09:28 AM
I've been using free AV programs like AntiVirXP with great success.

Are there any good free firewalls out there that are better than the firewall that comes with windows?

SolOmoN
12-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Nothing is "free"

take the time and invest in a router you will be glad you did.

sol...

maybe zone alarm....

you would have to check it out though...

Raven
12-17-2005, 08:14 PM
the free version of it....that is...the zone alarm pro is 29 0r 39 bucks

i like the lock feature thus far....stopping all internet activity...

the security warnings can be a pain especially if its trying to protect you from your "own" network ....

striperman36
12-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Buy a linksys router. Wireless or hard line.
I have several. Wouldn't have it anyother way. With a cable or dsl connection prior to the router and wep encryption I had several attempts a day.
It's worth the bucks.

basswipe
12-18-2005, 07:28 PM
A router does seem to be the best solution.Decent ones can be had pretty cheap these days too.

MoroneSaxatilis
12-18-2005, 07:40 PM
I have two machines connected to my Comcast High Speed Internet via a hardwired Linksys 4 port router. I've been paying for Norton Personal Firewall every year and find it well worth it, although I haven't "updated and upgraded yet this year. My Norton keeps reminding me that I'm not fully protected from the latest threats. I like it because I can see real-time network activity. The main reason that I like the Norton firewall, however, is because it's got a built-in Pop-Up/Web Add blocker that is the best I've seen. I get exactly Zero Pop-Up adds, yet I can access services that I need to which would often require me to shut off a pop-up blocker.
I've been using the Comcast free McAfee Anti-Virus and it's been an adventure getting the Norton Firewall and the McAfee Anti-Virus to co-exist peacefully together. I'm thinking of scraping the McAfee and just getting Norton Internet Security Suite 2006 when it comes out.

macojoe
12-22-2005, 02:58 AM
If you get a router go with the best Linksys!! I have tryed Belkin, Netgear, D-Links, and the Linksys is by far the easiest and fastest of them all!!

You will not need anything else as a firewall as it comes with the router.

As for pop-ups, do Adaware all the time and keep them cookies and tempoary files cleaned out and you will never get Pop-ups!!

Works for me!

basswipe
12-22-2005, 06:09 AM
If you get a router go with the best Linksys!! I have tryed Belkin, Netgear, D-Links, and the Linksys is by far the easiest and fastest of them all!!

You will not need anything else as a firewall as it comes with the router.

As for pop-ups, do Adaware all the time and keep them cookies and tempoary files cleaned out and you will never get Pop-ups!!

Works for me!

I went with the Linksys BEFSR11 router.Will install tonight after work.

I run my av and Ad-aware daily as well as cleaning out cookies and temp files.