View Full Version : PLOVER mating pairs numbers down!

Swimmer
12-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Allright lets have a big aaaaawwwwwwwwww shucks.

But this does have serious implications for us overthesanders. Knowing this year that fox, racoon and other predators decimated the plover numbers translates in longer and wider area closings next year. And that SUCKS. This was in the herald this week.

MikeTLive
12-18-2005, 11:06 PM
They should make the predators get oversand permits and limit when they can be on the beach. I am sure they have a biiger impact....
:scream:
Heck, I know that when I am out in the wilds with noisy folks, I see very little in the line of predators (skunk, raccoon, fox, etc.)
However, when it is just little ol me walking along, the numbers of predators seen goes way up.

Maybe, JUST MAYBE.... There should be MORE people out there to scare off the predators???

Karl F
12-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Ya know, it has been proven, if you let people and vehicles in the areas, the predators-----> Leave, and, if you clearly mark the nest areas, the little birds do fine..... it can, and has worked where tried.

Backbeach Jake
12-19-2005, 07:04 AM
Ya know, it has been proven, if you let people and vehicles in the areas, the predators-----> Leave, and, if you clearly mark the nest areas, the little birds do fine..... it can, and has worked where tried.
I think that you're on the right track there, Karl. If they want this program to work, get the fishermen to participate. Instead of excluding them (us) let us help. Why do these Naturalists (? no, not nudists) forget that people are part of the ecosystem? If the birds didn't run us off the beach, maybe they wouldn't be viewed as the enemy. Just a thought.