View Full Version : Hook Hanger ?

outnumbered
12-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Hey guys how do you make the hook hanger? Does it attach to the thru wire or is it just epoxied in without attaching to anything? I searched and I couldn't find the how to. The new addiction grows.

gone fishin
12-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Wire runs thru from front of lug to rear - all hooks are attched to thru wire.:fishslap:

Karl F
12-19-2005, 09:41 PM
most use swivels, run the thru wire thru the top loop, hook, or split ring and hook, thru the bottom loop of the swivel... if your going to epoxy your holes, you cand ben up hangers out of the same SS wire you thru wire with, but you still run the thru wire thru the hanger.

FlukinUki
12-20-2005, 07:49 AM
I posted a pic of how I do the hook hangers in a thread a while back called "wood bomber".

Here's the link to the pic.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=12948&d=1133627006

Not saying this is the correct or only way to do it, there may be others on the site with a better way. I started through wiring using swivels and grommets but wanted to try something different. The belly loops are pretty easy to figure out. I first make a few wraps of stainless around the end of my center punch (anything with the right diameter will work). I trim the tag end ans put it in thi hole, this shows me where I need to fold the wire back. Put the first loop twisted back on the punch and do my last wraps. I tried holding the loop in the vice and pulling on the punch to see if I could unwrap it, I couldn't do it. I also filled the holes with epoxy which I think really firms everything up.

Hope this helps.

Jigman
12-20-2005, 08:17 AM
I think if you do a simple U-shape for the part that goes under the thru-wire you will be ok once the hole is filled with epoxy. I know some guys used to put brass sinker wires in epoxy for hook hangers. Have to admit, I do like Flukin's method.

Jigman

FlukinUki
12-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Thanks Jiggy, It's not that hard to do it my way if you leave yourself enough of a tag end when your wrapping the loops. I can twist one in less than a minute.

Striperknight
12-20-2005, 09:35 AM
I do it the same way. I wrap it around a finish nail.

outnumbered
12-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Thanks all once again you have all cleared it up for a rookie.
:cheers: :cheers:

thefishingfreak
12-20-2005, 10:12 AM
that one i sent you has a hook hanger.

i like them because you don't need a ton of different size swivels.

they'll never break or sieze up like a swivel can sometimes do.
good reason to save those two inch scraps of wire.

outnumbered
12-20-2005, 12:38 PM
:fishslap: Guess you have to hit me over the head sometimes to get these things. I only thought they were used when you filled the hole with epoxy. I just looked at it and now it is perfectly clear how its done. Now if I only had all those little pieces of wire.:spin:

FlukinUki
12-20-2005, 01:38 PM
If you decide to use hangers I would definately recommend filling the hole with epoxy to firm things up a bit. Good luck and dont forget to post some pics.

Jigman
12-20-2005, 01:39 PM
You could use Flukin's method without the epoxy. The one I mentioned you would need to fill the hole with epoxy afterwards. That is often done on plugs that are fully sealed up rather than having an open swivel hole and holes where the line tie and rear hook hanger come out of the plug.

Jigman

thefishingfreak
12-20-2005, 09:13 PM
:fishslap: Guess you have to hit me over the head sometimes to get these things. I only thought they were used when you filled the hole with epoxy. I just looked at it and now it is perfectly clear how its done. Now if I only had all those little pieces of wire.:spin:

those are scraps from thru wire... two inches is enough. just need some good round nose plyers or wrap arround a nail....
you can fill the holes with epoxy if you want ?
good thing is they come in any size you need :)

gary2
12-27-2005, 09:13 AM
I have been making my own hangers for over three years.I make them the same as shown in the picture,two wraps to each side of the loop.I think you can not get a better or stronger hanger.On the handcarves I fill in and seal but all the other plugs the hanger comes thru a grommet exposed and has been a very good system.I use 1/32 SS wire and have not had a failure that I know of.I use a 6D finish nail for the hole diameter in the hanger.
good luck
gary2

FlukinUki
12-27-2005, 09:39 AM
WOW, Gary and I do it the same way :happy:

I will also say that I've just started making hangers and I am learning something all the time. I just started leaving more of a tag end when I make the nose and tail loops and twisting the tag end of the bend back around itself. After being epoxied in place there is no way these are pulling apart, and if it does someone had a heck of a fight for a while :hihi:

Sudsy
12-27-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks all once again you have all cleared it up for a rookie.
:cheers: :cheers:

Actually that's unlikely - you're now stepping into one of the most hotly contested arguments in plug building since the great screw eyes vs through wire wars of 2001.
On one side are the guys who say that a properly epoxied in hanger can never fail.
On the other side are the guys who say that without the hook being able to swivel you're going to drop more fish that manage to get the leverage to twist themselves free. (I'm with this group).

FlukinUki
12-27-2005, 02:32 PM
On the other side are the guys who say that without the hook being able to swivel you're going to drop more fish that manage to get the leverage to twist themselves free. (I'm with this group).

Funny, I'm also in this school of thinking but I'm playing around anyway just to see how they work. Kinda fun to build. I'm doing a batch of those needles all with hangers.

gary2
12-27-2005, 05:58 PM
I think that no matter what we do as builders to try and make the perfect plug,ther will ALWAYS BE FISH THAT WILL GET AWAY.As far as leverage I think that is a very little possibility.Also how many plugs are built with epoxied hangers to barrels,it is not even close!!!!And last but not least,how many put the best barrels in ther plugs????I have more concern with the quality of the split ring,I see that as the weakest link
gary2

thefishingfreak
12-28-2005, 01:55 AM
gary:wavey:

winchmaster
12-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Im another that is starting to rethink the barrel swievel vs the hanger theory. Lately I have been seeing too many swievels failing in plugs. Also when reconditioning used plugs I find the swievels are showing a ton of wear.
I'm now building some of my plugs with hangers that I dont even epoxy and have had none fail me yet. The best thing about hangers is how you can vary them in lengths to fit each plug. No need for 10 different swievel sizes. Just bend to fit. I am using 1/16th wire so the chances of a fish pulling them free is next to zero.
I also have been thinking if two hooks are buried in a fish the swievels really can't turn but get the same torque as a stronger hanger. The chances of swievel failure are real.
Anyway for now I'll use both systems further testing will reveal if the hagers are strong enough.