View Full Version : Bunker spoons

SolOmoN
12-20-2005, 09:02 AM
A friend gave me a couple of theese and I have no idea how to troll with them... they are pretty big I know the whole leader deal and getting them down deep enough but what speed should i drag theese things at and so on...

Thanks for any replys and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

sol...

Cod Hunter
12-20-2005, 09:47 AM
I troll them on lead core line. You definitely want them down deep and trolled slowly. I've never done super well with them but know some guys hammer the fish on them.

thefishingfreak
12-20-2005, 09:59 AM
wire works well.... slow as you can go.
best bet is on a really long {like 11'} soft tip rod to get the best action.
you won't catch a ton of fish on them but the'll be bigger fish.

ProfessorM
12-20-2005, 11:17 AM
I like wire, 300'. Like Freak said the rod really makes the lure. You need the flex of the long rod to give the optimum action to the lure, but they will still work on shorter rods just not as good. Troll so you can see the rod give you the tell tale pumping, pulsating action at the tip. Very easy to see. It is kind of fast. I also recommend the rod holders that lay the rod out horizontal to the water. Gives you a wider spread if you are fishing 2 spoons. I like the keel weight all the way forward. The only negative I have found is you will lose some fish because of the fast action of the lure. You don't always get a good hook up. I never count a spoon fed fish until it is in the box. Lost too many. Keep hooks sharp. What fish you do get will probably be big though. Good luck.

MakoMike
12-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Wire, slow as you can go, and you need a special rod to make them work properly.

SolOmoN
12-21-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks for all the great input.... I guess what I will do is take my 7' pinacle medium rod and throw my lead core on it when it comes time to use it. I have used this rod with a tube and worm set up so I can understand the pulsing movement that you were talking about, anywaythere are still to many days between now and then...

sol...

SBASS1
12-21-2005, 07:00 AM
What P M said, and I'll add replace the treble hook with a stainless double as sharp as possible. Always fish them out of the holder with lighter than normal drags. The drags are set lighter because they usually hight with purpose, and a properly set drag you'll often pull the hook... Let them dump some line. Also always from the holders because they will slap the spoon rod goes down and pops back up, natural reaction to swing at first hit, so when they come back to grab it, you've swung and the lure is gone. As far as line use wire .028 or.032 you'll need the weight to keep the spoon down. On the same note trolling in and around the slack will greatly increase your chances of keeping said spoon near the bottom. Once the tide gets running in earnest your spoon will rise up in the water colunm.(or for that matter umbrellas do the same thing) Good luck, Bunker spoons catch a ton of bass and don't let anyone tell you they don't work at night!

Van
12-21-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the great input.... I guess what I will do is take my 7' pinacle medium rod and throw my lead core on it when it comes time to use it. I have used this rod with a tube and worm set up so I can understand the pulsing movement that you were talking about, anywaythere are still to many days between now and then...

sol...

7' is actually too short, like prof moriarty and "the freak" said you need a long rod to get that "swaying" action. An old sharpie showed me the rod he used from the boat, I could not believe my eyes, it was like 9' long and had the bend of a wet noodle. But thats what they use. I have a crap load of old unused b-spoons, and I have yet to use them .. GOOD LUCK..