View Full Version : Salt Marshes

Plum Island
03-10-2002, 11:43 PM
Will stripers and other BIG fish come into salt marshes?
I found some in my area. The water isn't deep, but when low
tide comes it drains all the water out. Please give me your feedback on this area.

happy fishing everyone

KEV

Fish_Eye
03-11-2002, 03:49 AM
Yes, big bass will come into skinny water...but that's a relative term. If your mash only has 2 feet of water in it at high tide, then go look somewhere else. You might find the deeper channels that lead into the marshes more productive.

Plum Island, you might want to consider joing a local club like
The Plum Island Surf Casters -- you can contact the membership chairperson Plum Island Surf Casters, P.O. Box 364, Newburyport, MA 01950.

Meetings are held every 3rd Tuesday of the month at the Newbury Fire Hall.

Plum Island
03-11-2002, 06:55 AM
I will take the information you gave me, and look around more.
Also I will be contacting the fishing groups around here.

HaPPy <><ing :)

Kev

bloocrab
03-11-2002, 07:40 AM
:D...you'd be surprised at whats lurking in that 2 feet of high tide water...around 3 in the morning...;)

..but Fish_Eyes' right, they head for that channel if your noisy while trying to get to em'.....

Fish_Eye
03-11-2002, 09:13 AM
bloo,

I know what you're talking about...I'm a big advocate for skinny water fishing, but usually where there is deeper water nearby. After looking at a few charts of the Plum Island area, there are some pretty impressive mosquito and green head breeding areas...perhaps a little to thin a pocket of water to invest too much time...Now dem there breakwaters look pretty intersting!

Plum Island
03-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Hey what about break waters? E-mail me the charts your looking at....or the site you got them from. Thanks :)

Fish_Eye
03-11-2002, 09:59 AM
plum,

Learn more about ANY spot you might want to fish, courtesy of the folks at Maptech

Here's a satellite view of the breakwaters:
http://mapserver.maptech.com/homepage/index.cfm?lat=42.89612003544195&lon=-70.8123889003547&scale=20000&zoom=100&type=3&icon=0

Fish_Eye
03-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Next thing you might want to learn about is "Korkers".

Plum Island
03-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Korkers = water shoes?

Fish_Eye
03-11-2002, 11:25 AM
No!

KORKERS = NOT IN THE WATER SHOES ;)

http://fisheye.striped-bass.com/images/march/laptewflysurf.jpg

Plum Island
03-11-2002, 11:29 AM
Thanks again!!!

I have a hard time figuring out the water level off plum island.
Got that information handy?

Kev

Fishpart
03-11-2002, 11:32 AM
http://www.korkers.com/

Mikecc and DonM both carry them.

bloocrab
03-11-2002, 12:11 PM
LMAO:D

....Fisheye, thats a great Advertising photo for "Korkers"....... :)

....Mosquitos and Horseflys???......whats wrong with em?...

..they remind you your alive!!.....:laughs: :happy: :laughs:

Fish_Eye
03-11-2002, 03:04 PM
Kev,

Everything you need is at the Maptech site, short of a local pirate map with the buried treasure "X" marks the striper spot circled in red.

Learn form local talent, learn how to read the water and do some homework at the local library -- half the fun is trying to figure it out for yourself.

You'll soon learn that there are simple basic techniques for finding stripers that will work up and down the coast. Reading the water in your area is no different than NJ -- it's just that you have more fish in your backyard.

Good luck,

Mike

Fish_Eye
03-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Bloo,

I never worried about Killer Bees, I figured the greenheads would eat them for breakfast.

Here's a good question...what do you do to keep them off when you dare to enter their domain?????? I've heard of all kinds of tricks.

Mike

bloocrab
03-11-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Fish_Eye

Here's a good question...what do you do to keep them off when you dare to enter their domain?????? I've heard of all kinds of tricks.

Mike

.....Fish Eye.....I'm living proof that NOTHING!! works for sure...:rolleyes: ..From "#^&#^&#^&#^& to "Skin So Soft"...to "Raid!!"..to smoking cigars :laughs: ...they've developed an anti-bug spray shield!!..:D

...I'll tell ya what works for me.....CLOTHES!!...I try to cover up all exposed areas when I know I'm going to a "Flying Vampire" zone....I may sweat a bit, but I don't get bothered much...:)..a good ol' rainsuit does wonders.....they can't penetrate rubber...YET!!!:af:

Jenn
03-11-2002, 11:30 PM
I never worried about Killer Bees, I figured the greenheads would eat them for breakfast.

hahaha! almost psst myself laughing so hard!

Jenn
03-11-2002, 11:37 PM
..From "#^&#^&#^&#^& to "Skin So Soft"...

I 'm not bashing the SSS...:eek: :eek: :eek: go ahead :rolleyes:

when the tough gets going and I am sick of being eaten......I grabs the ben's 100!!!!! I am not planning on children so I dont mind all the deet :eek5: and the green glow......really its not bad...........the twitching goes away after a few days after use.....

still doesnt stop them really.....but it seems to help a little......

Jenn
03-11-2002, 11:38 PM
..................oh never mind...I wont even go there.......

JohnR
03-12-2002, 08:20 AM
Ahhh - the Ben's 100 ;) - it's scary when the stuff rolls off your head and onto your neck light. Then your mouth gets numb from holding the neck light when you're removing a fish - you now realize that it's time to invest in a Petzel....