View Full Version : Would you buy another ABU Garcia if they moved to Taiwan

mikecc
03-11-2002, 01:28 PM
Would you buy another ABU Garcia if they moved to Taiwan.

They seem to be shifting their production to Taiwan and just assembling the reels in Sweden.

questions

do you think the quality will drop off.

If they move to Taiwan what makes their reels any different than say Okuma ,Shakespeare,Tica

sence Pure fishing bought Abu have you been satisfied with their products.
(Berkley, Abu Garcia,Fenwick, Johnson, Mitchell)

Have there reels goten better or worse

has their customer survice gotten better or worse sence the buy out.
and last

If the price did not matter would you rather have a reel from Taiwan Or sweden.
:smash:

GBOUTDOORS
03-11-2002, 01:41 PM
There goes another good reel down the drain. I have abu's from back in 1970 that have lots of fish miles on them and they are still in great shape! I don't think they will be able to keep the quality up but thats just my opinion:( Mikecc the new field is in and I have a great spot all picked out for you on it and the new corn field also but lets not rush the fishing season away. I found a rub yesterday that is the largest and the highest I have ever seen. I will go back and take a photo of it for you. He must of made it thru the season as we would have heard about it if he had been taken!!!!!

mikecc
03-11-2002, 01:58 PM
Sounds good. :happy:

chris L
03-11-2002, 07:00 PM
oh thats not a good thing . I own mostly abus and mitchels . they have always worked well for me over the years ,have had next to no problems with either company . Maybe its time to stock pile a few reels before moving off to another brand .

I have only had to call them once at pure fishing and they did right by me . Never had a reel fixed by the either company .

give me a sweedish reel anyday !!!

JohnR
03-12-2002, 08:43 AM
I may be wrong but the earlier Abus were nice but a lot of recent Abus made in the eighties to mid nineties up until about 3-4 years ago were crap. The 5500 & 6500C3 reels that were out until being replaced with new models 3-4 years ago were very low quality. They weren't very smooth, had high plastic contents like plastic star drag knobs and plastic/nylon cast control knobs. Those reels were very poorly built. The more upgraded reels like the newer C3/C4/CL/CS reels are a certain improvement. But some of those reels are now assembled in the US, right? and the "international" reels like the CS/Sports Rockets/ Blue wonder, those are made in Sweeden I think.

Personally, I would like to see the manufacturing remain here or in Sweeden and moving them to Taiwan may influence my decision to further purchase ABU reels if the quality does suffer. I only say that the quality may suffer as some other less prominent reel manufacturers in Korea, PROC, & Taiwan - produce crap. Not that everything coming from Taiwan is crap. For political reasons, if I found out that the reels were made in the PROC, I would definitely NOT purchase them.

Now I am not against having parts sourced from other countries but I would like to see assembly remain in the current production countries. If full production were to switch, I'd probably think hard about purchasing them.

Saltheart
03-12-2002, 08:49 AM
Same design , same parts , just assembled in Taiwon instead if Sweden , I can go for that.

Everything that requires minimally trained labor will be going to Asia or Mexico. Get used to it.

mikecc
03-12-2002, 09:11 AM
A few of the newer reels say product of Taiwan , Assembled In Sweden :confused: