View Full Version : ? glass or graphite 4 eels

Goose
03-11-2002, 11:08 PM
What's your opion? When I throw eels with a glass rod I can load the rod without ripping the hook out of it's mouth, therefor getting a longer cast...I know I'm sacraficing sensativaty...is it worth it? Also, when I do get a bump I'm letting him take it for about 4 or 5 seconds before the hook set, will I hook up more often GLass or GRaphite?? .....thanks

JohnR
03-12-2002, 08:16 AM
Goose - I have never fished eels with a quality glass rod so I really can't compare. The only eel fishing I was doing with glass rods were on crappy cheap ones before I was introduced to graphite for eelin'.

With a soft tip, you won't rip off eels when casting. Going to the old general standby Batson/Sabre 1088 series rods, you'll be fine. Sometimes I like to fish a beefier rod with eels and I move to a 1089 which will occasionally rip the hook but I've gotten accustomed to applying as much pressure into the cast without ripping out the eel (I also have a quick thumb brake to stop the spool running over ;) ).

You can't beat the ability to feel what the eel is doing and when a fish hits with a graphite rod. Many people bring that to the next level and fish with braids (I have not yet). I suspect that with a graphite rod and better feeling to the fish you'll be able to adjust your timing on the hookset...

Hope this helps...

mikecc
03-12-2002, 08:25 AM
If you could find an old JK Fisher graphite that would be my choice.
as far as Graphite Rods produced today Lamiglas XRA 1204 ,GSB1201L All-Star 1208 or 1088
If glass would go with an S-Glass 11-1/2' cou down from the butt. to length desired.
or Ugly Stick Blank 10' ipc. :laughs: it is a good rod for spinning
I know a guy in plymouth that has gotten 5 over 50 on them with eels. (the Scag Mister):faga:

Saltheart
03-12-2002, 08:40 AM
Its the rod action that's importatnt , not whether its graphite or glass. Graphite rods like the lami 1204 ,Allstar 1265/2 , loomis 1266 , etc. have good actions for eeling.

I also find that the long sweeping gradual loading of a good conventiaon casting rod is usually not a problem ripping off eels. A too stiff grahite spinner is where I see problem.

There are very flexible graphite rods like Lami Steelhead GSH138-2MH that are graphite and are perfect for eels.