View Full Version : Slow PC

fishaholic18
12-27-2005, 09:36 AM
My pc is running slower than normal and hangs up once in a while. I run Spysweeper, Adaware, Spybot, and Norton daily. Could it be a registry problem? How can I fix it? I don't want to have to format the hd if I don't have to. HELP!!!

BigBo
12-27-2005, 09:48 AM
After running those programs that you mentioned. Run defrag. Power down. If you're on a wireless network, remove power from modem and router for a minute. Then reapply power to the modem, then the router, then reboot your PC. Mine was running a bit slow last week and after performing these steps, seems to be right back at peak performance. Hopefully it's just that simple.:wavey:

Raven
12-27-2005, 10:40 AM
if your running norton...make sure its not trying to run updates except for when your asleep... and watch closely everything thats running in the background.... usually with task manager.... re -schedual things that are hogging memory....or bandwith.

macojoe
12-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Did you get rid of all your cookies and temp files??

When youm run Adaware did you do it in safe mode?? I had a buddy that was getting some coolwave stuff. adaware said it was in the registery?

After running adaware he would be fine for a day then it would return and slow him right down.

The problem is that you can't make a change to the registery unless in safe mode, at least that was what i WAS told?

Ran adaware in safe mode and he hasn't seen it in 2 weeks now. So something worked.

give it a shot, can't hurt, and try all the stuff above aslo!!

Raven
12-30-2005, 03:53 AM
http://techrepublic.com.com/5138-10877-5878531.html?tag=nl.e101