View Full Version : Saltwater License - State of Federal - Coming

Offshore
12-29-2005, 09:08 AM
I got a look at the Magnuson Re-Authorization bill last night at a CC Salties meeting. Senate and House will begin hearings on the bill early in 2006.

One key section is on what they call Registration of Saltwater Anglers.

Basically, what it says is that if a state does not have a SW license and doesn't enact one within a year, all recreational anglers will be required to carry a federal license.

Not the exact wording, but I'm sure you get the point.

And what state will not enact a license if the alternative is to see $ go to Washington ?

Food for thought.

FishHawk
12-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Wonder why the pressure is on to get a Federal License? If we have a license will the money go into a general fund? FishHawk

Offshore
12-29-2005, 11:16 AM
I think the pressure is not so much for a federal license but to force those states who do not now have a SW license to enact one.

And, what state will not opt to do that. They won't get any part of the $ paid for a federal license. And the name of the game is $ as far as they are concerned.

Swimmer
12-29-2005, 11:42 AM
I wonder if they'll tie it into fed funds. In other words comply or we will withhold your money for the coming year.

basswipe
12-29-2005, 05:30 PM
I wonder if they'll tie it into fed funds. In other words comply or we will withhold your money for the coming year.

Absolutely.That's the point of enacting a federal liscense.

macojoe
12-29-2005, 07:47 PM
I will be in Jail before they ever see my money!! They get pleanty of it already!! :mad:

macojoe
12-29-2005, 08:06 PM
It seems to me the State is already doing them things on there own Karl!
Once we pay for a lic, what we going to get for it?? They going to let us on the beach for a reduced fee or no fee at all??
They going to give more access to the water??
More Boat ramps??
Repair Boat ramps??

Just what we going to get for all this money?? Just going to make the politicians richer!!!!!

OK OK I am starting to flip now!!:splat: :realmad: :af: :wall:

FishHawk
12-30-2005, 07:32 AM
Well let's see what happens. As we know the final bill will be watered down .The group that has the best lobbist will influence the final outcome. Money talks. FishHawk

Swimmer
12-30-2005, 12:14 PM
If they introduce the MPA's enforcement wont be as much of a problem for them, because they'll have less area to watch us in.

:tm: Thier is one good thing(if thats what anyone cares to call it) about SW licenses and that is the 10 % tax money returned to the state by the feds is based on the total licenses issued, both fresh and salt water. In Mass. obviously the return we received is based on sweetwater licenses only even though we pay that 10% sales tax on all tackle, whereas in some states that have salt water licenses also, so they receive a larger share from the 10 % tax pool because of the larger number of license holders for both sweet and salt water. I thought and I could be wrong here but isn't most of the 10% tax money returned to states for purchase and upkeep of facilities?

denport
01-24-2006, 06:10 PM
I remember at last years MSBA show, there was an unmanned table by the speakers room that, in essence, was looking for signatures to approve registration of saltwater anglers to increase federal grants so state and local goverments could receive grants based upon the number of previously unregistered sportsman. Or something like that. I asked around, but could not find anyone who had any info about it. Anyone have any idea what it is? It seemed a little hinky.

Raven
01-24-2006, 07:40 PM
very good points you have there....better to list what you think
should be the pre -requisetts of granting all those improvements
before anyone even thinks about proposing the fed SW license.

use the numbered list feature and
channel your rage into a petition.:kewl:

Swimmer
01-29-2006, 11:51 AM
Denport, I am a member of msba and worked that show two days in a row as a staff volunteer and I dont remember any table that was setup at least specifically for that reason, that is SW licenses. A table that we rented to a vendor may have been soliciting those signatures, but I believe thiere would have been an uproar because we are as a club just about 100% against this measure as of now. Might change in the future, but given the strong opinon of many of our members I doubt it.