View Full Version : Fishing the Neponset River

fishsmith
03-13-2002, 09:18 AM
Anyone out there fish the Neponset River on the N.Quincy/Dorchester line?
I was over at the new park they put in across from the Adams Inn and there is plenty of room for fishing there, but are there any fish??

schoolie monster
03-13-2002, 11:42 AM
I've fished over there once and again :rolleyes:

The river sees its share of fish (mostly smaller schoolies), especially early in the season. Last year was pretty spotty and I actually think the park was partly to blame. The water was very muddy with the least bit of wind.

I imagine alot of that was from the new sediment from the park. Hopefully, it will have settled a bit this year.

Swede
03-13-2002, 01:56 PM
A great spot is squantum point park out at marina bay. Walk out to the end, you'll be across from the gas tank. There have been some BIG bass taken there..:D

fishsmith
03-13-2002, 04:13 PM
Schoolie and Swede,
Thanks for the replies, I work next to the Neponset river and I'll be posting the results of my attempts this spring.

Goose
03-13-2002, 11:50 PM
Have you ever fished the North River in Marshfeild? The river has some good depts and can be fished with a small boat and lite tackel. Some years ago there was a show called "fishing the Northeast with Mike Alprin".....one of his episods was him fishing live eels from shore, that day he landed three good keepers to 35pds, I just happened to record the show that day...... My best fish there is a 36 inches on a slug-go, first two hours of the out going seems to produce. Once the tide picks up it's like fishin in the canal..... There is a very steep and slippery boat ramp on the river, 4 wheel drive is a must. I'ld scout it out first.

fishsmith
03-14-2002, 06:54 AM
Goose, I caught a tagged bass in the north river last year, when I saw the word "reward" on the tag I thought I was going to win $$ or a boat, nope, I got a hat. The fish had grown from 26" to 29" and was tagged in the south river 3 years earlier (hopefully he's on his way back now) The furthest down the north river I've been is Marys boat yard, the fishing was good in the spring (on weekends there is alot of traffic), the mouth of the river was very angry the last time I was fishing there so I stayed inside, and I agree with you about the ramp, I had to tie off and give the incoming tide an hour to get my boat out.

Got Stripers
03-14-2002, 09:31 AM
I cut my teeth striper fishing in the North River, since I grew up in Scituate. Years ago, each May you could go in the river with small poppers and catch 50-100 schoolies without breaking a sweat. Every year I'm forced some days to launch in the River because it's too snooty outside and I've seen the fishing inside the river go downhill dramatically over the last couple seasons. Still you can find them in predictable locations, with some of the better ones actually far up river. On in particular is a killer spot during the herring run and is a rough section of river just below the narrows and is located above the Bridge Street bridge in Norwell. There is a small park just south of the bridge and you can park and launch a canoe or car topper there. But you shore guys can just walk up river a short hop and fish from shore.

Ironic some 8-10 years ago, I was forced inside one day in May and during the peak of the herring run, which I never really paid much attention to. I had a friend with me and I was bummed, since this was his first striper trip ever. Well we caught some out by the spit, the turtle creek inflow and then moved up to the faster water just above bridge street. Well he puts on a 1 once rattling spot and almost gets the rod pulled out of his hands as a fish pushing 40 inches slams his spot. Over the next 1-1/2 hours we landed about 6 fish over 36 inches and had a ball.

Canalratt1
03-14-2002, 12:01 PM
Goose I remember that show! What ever happened to Mike? My couson moored his boat at Mary's and the amount of bass in the river sometimes where staggering! Many spring days were 100 fish days on light tackle.

Goose
03-14-2002, 03:06 PM
If I remember correctly that show was on Fox, sunday nights at 11pm but then they changed it to either saturday or sunday mornings (damed if I watch tv around that time). His ad's always said most watched fishing show in area, I don't know what happen. The river does have it's share schoolies but the locals know what's up....west of Mary's is where I'ld be.....anyone who has see's the river on a low tide and then on a high, will know the place has potential. It reminds me of the grand canyon..lol..If your thinking about fishing the river in the summer months "BRING BUG JUICE". It's the kinda place where there's 1.9 million biting nats above your buddies head.

JohnR
03-14-2002, 03:21 PM
There are some nice fish in the North River and I've fished Damon's Pt. when I haven't been run out of parking there but you're right - the bugs are nasty and Ben's 100 doesn't minimze their appetite :rolleyes:

(at least we're no longer talking about the Neponset River, home of the Telescopic schoolie rod ;) )