View Full Version : Wood filler question

steelhead
01-03-2006, 11:01 AM
What do folks use to fill holes chips etc. on a turned plug and when. Before or after dipping and sealing?

Flaptail
01-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Famowood filler just before sanding. I have tried others but have had the best results with that stuff. Sears Hardware sells it. It drys fast and hold up really well and water doesn't seem to hurt it or it's performance at all.

justplugit
01-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Tagger turned me on to plumbers epoxy. Two part soild, just cut a piece off and mix with hands. Drys water proof in 1/2 hour and sands smooth. Before sealing ,as it's water proof and epoxy ,and also allows me to put it back on the lathe to sand smooth.
Thanks Eddie. :)

Sudsy
01-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I used to use Famawood, unfortunately acrylic paints wouldn't bond to the stuff, at least the one I was using. That was fine so long as it was covered by the primer but it meant that every time I had to fix a blemish I'd have to prime again.

Went to Elmers white interior/exterior wood filler in the blue and white tube. Great stuff, easy to use, no acrylic bonding issues. The only issue is that you have to be careful not to over sand it and leave an indentation.

I recently started using QuikWood wood repair epoxy putty stick by Polymeric Systems, Inc. Found it at Loews home improvement. Cut a bit off, kneed it in your fingers until the color is uniform and apply (I suspect it's the same as plumbers epoxy stick just with some wood colored pigment added). Hard, easy to shape and sand, no paint bonding problems and dried in 30 minutes.

I still use the Elmers for small quick fixes.

steelhead
01-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the input guys! Big Help!