View Full Version : SEA WORM FLY !

saltydog
01-05-2006, 10:01 AM
I don't believe I posted this one yet. Im doing realistic tying on a nother site an this is one Im going to FISH WITH this season. they are my SEA WORMS. sea worms come in 3 diffferent colors. so here thay are. I should have them at the fly show if any one is interested in seeing them LIVE.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN!:jump:

SAXATILUS
01-05-2006, 10:11 AM
WOW!! What material are they made from? Are they livley looking in the water?

STRIPERSTRIPPER
01-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Saltydog those worms look great ,but I have to play devils advocate,what makes this creation a fly,you could fish these worms Texas style with a spinning reel.

Raven
01-05-2006, 04:52 PM
they look more realistic than the common plastic seaworms
are they more durable?.....not just turned into a stub by a bloofish:rolleyes:
...looks like they could be used on the end of a trolling tube
if scented... nice!!!!

saltydog
01-09-2006, 02:03 PM
Some breeeef info, on the sea worms,THIS being my 1ST REALISTIC FISHABLE FLY.
I tied these guys up during the SUMMER!
to answer one queston about the SUN,DUNES. the fly came about cause of BOB MARTIN,
I was on BOB'S site during the summer,THEY DO REALISTIC FLYS, I don't do FREASHWATER
so SALTWATER was for me. I decided to try something easy,(not). this is what I
came up with. they do come in 3. different colors we around here mostly the BROWN.

PATTEN!
HOOK--> your favorite LONG SHANK

BODY---> now it get interesting!
1.tie some MONO the lenth of the fly, to the bend of the hook (yes) back.

2.DEER HAIR lay FLAT along MONO an tie it in. ( now your going to need some GLUE)
NOT head cement!SOFTEX will work fine.(tip) I used FLEX-CEMENT you can get it in a CRAFT SHOP
BIG BOTTLE for less money.

3.NOW if you intend to FISH this fly you will need some LEAD WEIGHT to attach to the BOTTOM.
you can find FLAT LEAD WEIGHT an cut into strips an lay along the bottom 2/3 of the way UP.
you don't want the fly to DIG into the sand.BUT you do want it to LAY FLAT an PUSH ALONG
the BOTTOM, moving some sand as you pull it.

4.time to shape a body, you will need some TISSUE an your flex cement.your going to RIP
small amounts of TISSUE (thumb nail) size an LAY it on the deerhair an coat it w/ FLEXCEMENT
to start forming the body. after you have it the SIZE you want, LET DRY!!!

5.now shape the HEAD, an PINCHERS.

6.COLOR---> this is where MARKING PENS come in, the best pins for the job are PRISMACOLOR
they have 2. ends to them an work GREAT. ( or use what ever you like).

7.next COAT EVERYTHING with flexcement. to get it waterproof.

8.LEGS.---> OSTRAGE PLUME, lay along bottom. cut to lenth.
some of the PURRRRIST will say it's NOT a fly. BUT that ok. taking tying to another step
makes it a LITTLE more interesting.(to me ).

THAT's IT, go fish it or display it.

I want to thank TIM WOHLAND (the MASTER) in saltwater realistics.an all the outher tyers
for taking time,interest in my tying an helping me along W/TIPS to the process of creating
some new FISHABLE REALISTIC FLYS.
GOOD LUCK GOOD
P.S. you can see some of TIM'S flys on the covers of FLY-TYER MAG.:skulz:

steelhead
01-09-2006, 08:18 PM
Holy Chit!!!!
Hope you have them at the Show!!!!
I want a lesson....
For them, I'll sniff glue :-)
Cheers,
Steelhead

striperman36
01-09-2006, 08:19 PM
I am tying at the UFT MA booth Sunday Morning. Stop by, please.

Bill

steelhead
01-09-2006, 08:20 PM
With the lead, does that make them ride hook up? The lead lays on the top of the hook shank, making the hook flip over? How about doing a bend back hook?

saltydog
01-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Steelhead, if your using LEAD it will be placed on the bottom of the fly.1. it weigh more than the hook.
2. it's at the back 2/3 of the fly.
3. the hook if upside down in the fly, it's facing UP. as it is in the PIC.
does that help. they will be w/ me in a frame.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN:cheers:

steelhead
01-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Yep. So it rides hook up, like a clouser. Perfect for bottom dredging....
I fish some docks here late at night that those buggers free swim and I've seen bass come out of the shadows and nail them. I bet that would be good unweighted for those situations as well!