View Full Version : Anyone else listen to Howard on Sirus this morning?

zacs
01-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Good Stuff!
Glad to have him back.
Anyone else???

BigFish
01-09-2006, 03:18 PM
I think Hopward is the biggest waste of air space going...satellite or otherwise! Takes real talent to parade naked women around and talk about nothing but sex and naked women! He offers nothing but gets paid a ton...unreal....but hey, glad you like him!:)

Katie
01-09-2006, 03:43 PM
howard kinda reminds me of talk shows like jerry springer.. all controversy :hihi:

basswipe
01-09-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm with BF.

Stern breathes air that the rest of us could use.The guy's a waste of flesh.

BigFish
01-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Basswipe....you are funny!:rotf2:

01-09-2006, 05:56 PM
I used to like the guy but the past couple years he has become to political. He needs to do what he does best talk about smut.

Backbeach Jake
01-09-2006, 05:56 PM
I've never understood the attraction. He plays on those girls low self esteem and talks of Howard only. POS as far as I'm concerned.

Squid kids Dad
01-09-2006, 06:25 PM
That will be the day I pay to listen to Stern or anybody else for that matter...:rocketem:

Redsoxticket
01-09-2006, 07:43 PM
There was an episoide when he used a whole fish as a spanking paddle, talk about mojo.

Mike P
01-09-2006, 08:57 PM
The last time he was funny, he was still on WNBC. And that station's been WFAN now for almost 20 years :doh:

Pete_G
01-09-2006, 11:00 PM
There was an episoide when he used a whole fish as a spanking paddle, talk about mojo.

Must have worked, I remember him talking about a couple successful striper fishing trips over the summer.

Skip N
01-10-2006, 01:14 AM
I hope he fails on Sirius. He's nothing but a piece of trash. A total dirt bag in my opinion.

missing link
01-10-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm a proud stern fan,,, you eather love the guy or hate him, i have no problem with other people hateing him

carry on:bgi:

Karl F
01-10-2006, 12:00 PM
:kewl: ML :D

janiejones
01-10-2006, 12:29 PM

A certain smiley reminds me of this....

:fishslap:

tlapinski
01-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm not a Stern fan, but I am a HUGE fan of Satellite radio. Regular FM radio to satellite is like comparing bunny ears TV to full digital cable. The programing blows away regular FM, hands down. There is no outlet in mainstream FM for the music I listen to. That fact, couple with the crap on the air in RI where I fish, convinced me it is worth it.

zacs
01-10-2006, 12:48 PM
whatever, I think the guy is hilarious. maybe you guys should actually tune in and listen instead of instantly dismissing. its not exactly what you think.

and TLAP is right, i have had sirius for over a year, and the programing is awesome.

Rappin Mikey
01-10-2006, 12:53 PM
I like Howard. Then again, I also like scratching my........s. Make what you want out of it.

spence
01-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Listen to him if you like him, no problem with that...but I'm glad he found a home off of the public airwaves...

-spence

Pete_G
01-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm not a Stern fan, but I am a HUGE fan of Satellite radio. Regular FM radio to satellite is like comparing bunny ears TV to full digital cable. The programing blows away regular FM, hands down. There is no outlet in mainstream FM for the music I listen to. That fact, couple with the crap on the air in RI where I fish, convinced me it is worth it.

I agree, at $12.95 or so a month, if you enjoy radio you'll love satellite. I have several weeks worth of music in iTunes but satellite is great if you enjoy discovering new music.

fishsmith
01-10-2006, 05:17 PM
I'm a day late and a dollar short on the stern bandwagon, I started a Laquadaria fan on BCN, followed him to ZLX, then I stayed with Sweeney's Neighborhood when they took over. When they got booted last year, the nitwits that took over for that show stunk, so I started listening to Stern, I thought I hated the guy, but after listening to the last few months of his show, I was converted to a non hater.

My buddy's got Sirius on his boat and needed to get the stronger antenna to get the signal offshore.

You gotta admit he's got some funny shows lined up on satalite:

Tissue Time with Hieidi Cortez :humpty:
Crack Whore View (he gets a panel of crack whores to go over the topic used on the talk show 'The View' ) :rotf3:

To each their own, but I say good luck to the guy. $500 million for 5 years, he's doing something right.

Raider Ronnie
01-10-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm a day late and a dollar short on the stern bandwagon, I started a Laquadaria fan on BCN, followed him to ZLX, then I stayed with Sweeney's Neighborhood when they took over. When they got booted last year, the nitwits that took over for that show stunk, so I started listening to Stern, I thought I hated the guy, but after listening to the last few months of his show, I was converted to a non hater.

My buddy's got Sirius on his boat and needed to get the stronger antenna to get the signal offshore.

You gotta admit he's got some funny shows lined up on satalite:

Tissue Time with Hieidi Cortez :humpty:
Crack Whore View (he gets a panel of crack whores to go over the topic used on the talk show 'The View' ) :rotf3:

To each their own, but I say good luck to the guy. $500 million for 5 years, he's doing something right.

Hey,
What happened tgo Steve Sweeney on wzlx anyway?
That guy was a funny bastard!!!
I can't take listening to the 2 clowns they have on there now, I think they want to be another Lorn & Wally show!

Pete_G
01-10-2006, 06:22 PM

Stern's an aquired taste, no question. I think it takes at least a month or two before you REALLY see what he and his show is all about. If you think his show is just about strippers, being outragous, and pushing the political correctness envelope you haven't really listened to it that much. It's the discussions about day to day life, parenting, the tearing apart hippocritical public figures, and Robin's news and the discussions that come with it that always keep me tuned in.

Most guys, in an average day, are saying and doing things FAR less p.c. then what Stern does on an average day...

NIB
01-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Big Fan.Got it for christmas.
INstanly enjoyed the satelite format.I listen to music thats a little off the beaten path.So tired of the stuff they feed the sheeple on the radio everyday.It all sounds like "Ramblin Man" over an over.Never mind NY Radio when I travel it gets worse..
I like how I can listen to the east coast feed Of the show. Then durin commercials I go to 101 an get the West coast show an get stuff i missed.plus my unit has a rewind.I go in the store i miss nothin.
If I talk to some one for ten minutes I can tell if the are a Howard fan or not.
People who like Howard are cool.
People who don't are squares, hilbbily's or clergy..I say F um.
More for me.
Say what u will but I think its cool a guy can come from nothin an make so much doe.500 mil contract.218 in stocks for exceeding signup goals.Plus what he has made.got to be close to a billion dolllars.
Must be somebody listnin.But they never show themselves in public.
Peter G, I expect to be able to listen to howarD in the store now.Uncensored...

Pete_G
01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Big Fan.Got it for christmas.
INstanly enjoyed the satelite format.I listen to music thats a little off the beaten path.So tired of the stuff they feed the sheeple on the radio everyday.It all sounds like "Ramblin Man" over an over.Never mind NY Radio when I travel it gets worse..
I like how I can listen to the east coast feed Of the show. Then durin commercials I go to 101 an get the West coast show an get stuff i missed.plus my unit has a rewind.I go in the store i miss nothin.
If I talk to some one for ten minutes I can tell if the are a Howard fan or not.
More for me.
Say what u will but I think its cool a guy can come from nothin an make so much doe.500 mil contract.218 in stocks for exceeding signup goals.Plus what he has made.got to be close to a billion dolllars.
Must be somebody listnin.But they never show themselves in public.
Peter G, I expect to be able to listen to howarD in the store now.Uncensored...

We've got our very own Howard Stern. He sits behind the back counter most days after 3:30PM. Some people know him as Iron Mike. Always uncensored, unless I yell out "family show!" because kids enter the store.

The new sat radio devices with rewind and recording features are really going to increase the popularity of the format. Being able to record and listen to radio the same way you do TV with a Tivo is a thing of beauty. Traditional radio is in big trouble...

Skip N
01-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Listen to him if you like him, no problem with that...but I'm glad he found a home off of the public airwaves...

-spence

we agree. Stern should have never been on public radio with kids listening to that garbage.:yak4:

janiejones
01-11-2006, 09:55 AM
I want to listen.

But I don't have a bloody satellite "radio." :huh:

MoroneSaxatilis
01-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I use my Sirius Sportster unit on offshore scallop boats from anywhere to 50-150 miles offshore with the antenna that comes with the home instalation kit and have no reception problems at all. It's all about placement.

janiejones
01-11-2006, 11:32 AM
I use my Sirius Sportster unit on offshore scallop boats from anywhere to 50-150 miles offshore with the antenna that comes with the home instalation kit and have no reception problems at all. It's all about placement.

Thanks, Morone! That's helpful to me, too! :hee:

zacs
01-12-2006, 08:49 AM
...People who like Howard are cool.
More for me.

LOL

:rotfl: :rotfl:

CLASSIC!!!!

Still laughing.

Nebe
01-12-2006, 09:04 AM
I like howard.. but then agian i am a liberal who thinks that everyone should be allowed to say whats on their mind and should also be able to do what they want.

Plus anyone who can make a woman have an orgasim over the radio is a god in my book :hihi:

NIB
01-12-2006, 09:22 AM
See I knew ebbie was kool.
He has a fellow female pesonality on air know takin her top off.
with a nice dirty list of things she will do to get a talk show.
She says she will lick benji's ballon knot to get a show.
Thats funny.

Nebe
01-12-2006, 09:37 AM
oh debby ohhhhh debby :kewl:

JohnR
01-12-2006, 10:47 AM
See I knew ebbie was kool.
He has a fellow female pesonality on air know takin her top off.
with a nice dirty list of things she will do to get a talk show.
She says she will lick benji's ballon knot to get a show.
Thats funny.

That is funny, and some of it really was funny but some of it was just stupid too

I am glad you have to pay for it now so that it has it's time and its space. I don't think that free speech means some 10 year old kid should be able to sneak and listen...

I was a big BCN guy for years - listened to Stern for 3 months after the switch and have listened maybe once or twice since - and before you call me old and stogy, I was in my mid 20s at the time :hihi:

Ruined BCN in my opinion...

Jimbo
01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
MikeP brushed over it, but anyone who remembers Howard (and Imus) on WNBC back in the day, probably remembers creativity and humor without the F-bombs for effect. Like Sandy Becker on the radio. He was very funny back then, but I find him sort of boring now. Seems like he dwells on things for too long.

Hooper
01-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Someone already said it, if you enjoy radio, get satellite! It will make you very happy. I won't pay for TV, HBO, Cinemax, etc, but SIrrius radion is work the 12.95 anyday.

Swimmer
01-16-2006, 11:55 AM
I am glad that the people who like Stern have him and I defend thier right to listen to him but, why would anyone pay $12.95 a month to listen to someone who only dishes cynicism, has contempt for everyone that appears on his show, (shown through his verbally disparaging and patronizing remarks to his shows guest both retarded and alledgedly normal) and has never had an original thought in his entire life. Its easy for someone to cast dispersions at anything or anyone. I don't think I'd want my children holding Sterns to any higher regard than the lowest level of the deepest abyss. But hell , who am i?:sleeps:

MoroneSaxatilis
01-16-2006, 12:16 PM
I am glad that the people who like Stern have him and I defend thier right to listen to him but, why would anyone pay $12.95 a month to listen to someone who only dishes cynicism, has contempt for everyone that appears on his show...
I think what is more likely, is that many/most people already had Serius and have been enjoying the enormous wealth of programming they offer. Stern fans (I prefer Imus although I haven't listened to him in quite some time) probaby saw/see his move to Sirius as just an added benefit to their subscriptions.
I know that when my shipmates and I are far offshore, out of range of any broadcast radio, sat radio is indespensible. Even if we have 100 CDs between us, they eventually get old to listen to, get scratched and skip, and don't play very well in 10-20 ft seas anyway.
:jump1:

zacs
01-16-2006, 12:36 PM
... But hell , who am i?:sleeps:

summs it up

Swimmer
01-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Morone I can understand the live show aspect of Stern relieving the drugery of the long days at sea. To clarify something further about Stern, I don't have kids but if I did I would hope they would find other types of entertainment, one that promotes free speech in every form as found in Stern's forum, but on a higher literative scale of much greater social value to them than Stern's shows. If I was Zacs age, I'm assuming he's in his twenties, I would probably listen to Stern with zeal. But as the younger guys find out age gifts you with greater understanding your taste will change as will your choices.
Stern pray on everyones weaknesses. Its much the same as watching Springer. What is the facination about watching people beat themselves senseless because thier transgender boyfriend is dating a female prostitute that dresses like a guy but really isn't but really is.

spence
01-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Stern pray on everyones weaknesses.
Exactly...

-spence

MoroneSaxatilis
01-17-2006, 03:12 PM
Morone I can understand the live show aspect of Stern relieving the drugery of the long days at sea.... But as the younger guys find out age gifts you with greater understanding your taste will change as will your choices.
Its much the same as watching Springer....
I appoligize if I was unclear.
The advantage of having Sirius satellite radio offshore, is radio that goes 24/7 without the signal cutting out. Music, news, sports.
I imagine now that Stern is on Sirius, and many boats already HAVE Sirius for the music, news and sports, some guys will listen to him.
I have never listened to Stern.
I have never watched Springer.
I'm 49 years old.

Swimmer
01-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey Morone your only six years younger than me. Next year you'll start getting the AARP chit in the mail. Satelite entertainment 24/7 is a huge thing no doubt.

MoroneSaxatilis
01-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Hey Morone your only six years younger than me.
You Old Bastige.

:smokin: ;)

Raider Ronnie
01-18-2006, 03:44 PM
There was a time when Stern came on WBCN (at that time he was on delay at night)
I thought he was funny/cool, and I listened to him, but I was younger then,
Now being in my early 40s, and have kids, I think he is stupid and NOT funny!!! and certainly don't want my kids to hear him !!!
As for Sirus and other satelite radio, I don't want to pay,
but I hate most all tv and radio today because it's all about how many commercials they can shove in front of you !!!
The people who put Stern on the radio, I would guess don't like him or his act either,
But smutt sells and that adds up to advertising dollars for them,
so as long as he gets ratings, they love him!!!

Pete_G
01-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Listening to Stern couldn't be further away from watching Springer. As soon as someone makes that comparison I know they've never actually listened to Stern for an extended period of time. Comparing the two is ridiculous, imo.

It's risky making assumptions about the "average Howard Stern listener". Way, WAY more then most people assume are educated and older. If you could find demographics (and I'm trying, only I'm not going to spend the money for a Scarborough Report to prove my point) it would show they are more educated then the average radio talk show listener.

Stern article (http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2MjcmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4MzM0NjkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk3)

You can add both of my parents, both of who have Masters degrees from BU to the list of Howard Stern listeners. Mom's the head physical therapist of her agency and Dad works in the cancer research department at RI Hospital. They're far from 18-34 years old and uneducated...

Lifted from Bill O'Reilly's Stern interview:

STERN: I have always envisioned the guy I'm doing the show for is driving to work. He's a buddy of mine. We're in the locker room, and man, we're talking reality. We're not talking politely. We're being honest, we're being real.

The secret to my show isn't dirty words. The secret to my show isn't potty humor. The secret to my show is honesty, reality — that I will say the truth.

I was interviewed by "60 Minutes." They asked me, "How did you wish death on a guy?"

I said, "Do you mean to tell me that you never wished that somebody was dead? When you saw those planes go into the Twin Towers, did you wish that Usama bin Laden was caught and killed?"

Well, I feel the same way sometimes when my back is up against the wall. I want Usama bin Laden dead. Our whole country does. And I've wished death on people on my show. People go, "That's outrageous!"

I go, "No, I'm just willing to admit it."

O'REILLY: All right. So your audience is blue-collar guys, working guys, regular guys?

STERN: No. It's not just blue-collar guys. People like to think it's like a bunch of beer-guzzling guys. There's a thing called "The Scarborough Report" and maybe you're aware of it, because you're doing radio now. They analyze not who's listening by age...

O'REILLY: Yes, demographics and everything.

STERN: They find out income, college education, and I have probably the most educated audience and highest grossing income audience. Dare I say more than you, Rush Limbaugh, anybody else. It is a phenomenal audience, a brilliant audience.

Swimmer
01-19-2006, 02:54 PM
PeteG
I have done both of the above and while Stern comes off as smarter than anyone who appears on Springer and he probably is. Be that as it may but my comparison is in the way he gets women on the show to strip and talks about thier body parts and ranks on them in the most unseemly way while they sit there and take it. They sit there because they are selling themselves in hopes of some kind of career or just plain notoriety in show business. So anyone who can't find similarities in both shows is missing something. Stern is just a higher caliber smut.

Raven
01-19-2006, 03:33 PM
although he pretends to be.....and there is absolutely nothing brilliant about his audience.... and personally i would never pay to listen to something i wouldn't listen to for free.

Rockport24
01-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Someone already mentioned it, but you guys that say Stern is all about naked women and smut have probably not listened to his show that much. I'd say nakedness and other such things are only about 25% of the show, plus it's radio anyway, what do you care if someone is naked on the other side of your radio? :).

To comment on Sattelite Radio, the Sirius stock hasn't been doing great lately due to the analysts thinking that in the future (when there is actually a chance of them turning a profit) there will be new technolgies such as affortable in-car computers with wireless high speed internet that let you listen to streaming radio from all over the world, they also think Ipods are major league competition. That is interesting so we'll see what happens with sattelite, I am going to give this Howard/Sirius thing about a year before I jump in though.

Pete_G
01-19-2006, 06:37 PM
PeteG
I have done both of the above and while Stern comes off as smarter than anyone who appears on Springer and he probably is. Be that as it may but my comparison is in the way he gets women on the show to strip and talks about thier body parts and ranks on them in the most unseemly way while they sit there and take it. They sit there because they are selling themselves in hopes of some kind of career or just plain notoriety in show business. So anyone who can't find similarities in both shows is missing something. Stern is just a highercaliber smut.

Like a sheep in wolf's clothing is how I describe it. More often then not they inquire as to how they got the point of sitting in the studio naked. Maybe it doesn't do anything for the girl sitting there, but without fail it's a textbook case as to how they got there and also how to NOT raise your kids. And like Rockport said, it's really a very small part of the show. They spend the normal amount of time discussing women if you ask me. Hell I spend more time in 4 hours discussing women then they do. Not only that, but in their personal lives, which are discussed regularly, they're all loyal dedicated husbands, fathers, boyfriends, etc. First hour of many shows on Monday (and at random points during the week) is talking about what they did with their kids during the weekend. Most of the staff on the show are far better parents then most people, it's sad to say. Model parents even. Countless people who have called the show and done something stupid to their girlfriend or kids get torn apart by the crew.

I'm not saying they're inncocent, just that they are anything but what the common perception tells you they are. With all the REAL problems with the world, I just find most of what goes on on the show to not really be that disturbing.

Chris in Mass
01-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Pete, Thanks for carrying the weight here. Loyal fan since 86. Until he got to BCN, had tapes shipped up after I moved from Jersey in 87. I can appreciate if folks don't find it their cup of tea. And you do have to listen for an extended period of time to get the full flavor. Sounds like RRon listened for a long time and just got tired of him - that's fair. To stereo-type his show into a smut genre is a little hasty. For twenty years, I have found their observations and behaviors about everyday life captivating, honest and very humorous. Their news segment is my favorite part of the show. I've had to pull over many times because I was laughing so hard I couldn't see. I can't tell you when the last time the TV, radio or the big screen pulled that off for me. Their show was crippled for most of the last five years on terrestrial radio due to the FCC focus. This new format is perfect for Stern. I don't mind paying as long as he has the freedom to do the kind of show he wants. I get more than my 50 cents worth a day. Especially with the other programming that is available.

If activists start to focus on the content that I'm paying for (just like buying a book), and folks like Stern have no other medium to air their kind of show - it will be the first time I get off my A ss and get involved in politics beyond voting!

Swimmer
01-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Its not as disturbuing as some other shows and I don't really find it to be so. I just posted an opinon I have had for some time about him. I think his producers script much of what he says as far as politics go. He reads the AP, UPI, CNN, and FOX newswire and comments on everything. Everyone else does the same thing. Maher, OReilly, liberal or conservative. The thing that bothers me the most is that after all the commentary is aired whether by him or anyone else not much if any of it was his own opinon. A certain percentage of his show is supposed to be outrageous and thats that.
You talk about WBCN, I have to tell you about a weekend I think in the fall of 1967 when my buddy and I were heading to the cape on a Friday night with the surfboards on top of the VW to spend the weekend surfing. He had BlauKpunt radio (probably spelled wrong) and he turned on this new FM station called WBCN. He said it had only started broadcasting that week and as a student at Northeastern he had picked up on it from the other students. It was really something. It was like the station was an outlaw station or something at the time. I listened to BCN until three or four years ago when the format changed completely to strictly kids stuff. There will never be another radio station in this area ever again like BCN use to be.

Pete_G
01-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Its not as disturbuing as some other shows and I don't really find it to be so. I just posted an opinon I have had for some time about him. I think his producers script much of what he says as far as politics go. He reads the AP, UPI, CNN, and FOX newswire and comments on everything. Everyone else does the same thing. Maher, OReilly, liberal or conservative. The thing that bothers me the most is that after all the commentary is aired whether by him or anyone else not much if any of it was his own opinon. A certain percentage of his show is supposed to be outrageous and thats that.
You talk about WBCN, I have to tell you about a weekend I think in the fall of 1967 when my buddy and I were heading to the cape on a Friday night with the surfboards on top of the VW to spend the weekend surfing. He had BlauKpunt radio (probably spelled wrong) and he turned on this new FM station called WBCN. He said it had only started broadcasting that week and as a student at Northeastern he had picked up on it from the other students. It was really something. It was like the station was an outlaw station or something at the time. I listened to BCN until three or four years ago when the format changed completely to strictly kids stuff. There will never be another radio station in this area ever again like BCN use to be.

BCN was and is to some degree still a great station. More then happy to agree to disagree on Stern Swimmer. :kewl: