View Full Version : Why are you here?

Backbeach Jake
01-10-2006, 06:51 PM
No, not planet Earth,but here at S-B?
Personally, I'm here because of Striped Bass. That was first. But most importantly, it's become the friendships that I've developed and the social skills that needed desperate attention. My social skills. And my writing skills.

Karl F
01-10-2006, 06:59 PM
All of the above :D

Also, I post on a few other boards as well,
lurk on a couple too, excommunicated from one :hihi:
But......
S-B, feels more like home, complete with putting the FUN in DysFUNction ;) ;) Just Kiddin'... in a way :)
I see at times some of the good vibes slippin away, at times and it saddens me.
However, this place is still the Best, and I will hope, and try to help it continue that way. Growing pains? :huh:
A lot to learn, still, for me, and as JPI would say,
"You guys (and gals) keep me learnin'"
Thanks all!
Lot of good info here, and sometimes some good discussion :hihi:
occasional hi-jack and left turn, on some of the threads, but, I kinda like that too :D

Good Idea for a thread, Fred, Thanks!

tynan19
01-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Jake you summed it up well.

Striperhound
01-10-2006, 07:26 PM
In todays world we lack a sense of community, keep to ourselves. I enjoy the site here for the sense of community it provides. There are some quality people here willing to share thier knowledge and experience expecting nothing in return but a simple thank you.

shadow
01-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Well i'd have to say theres alot of good reasons for coming to s-b. my first reason was to get plugged in and meet some guys. I've always fished alone and still do,however this past year I've decided to be alittle more social.There is also alot of good friendly advise here. It is always good and sometimes entertaining to hear other fishermans opinions.

crash
01-10-2006, 07:46 PM
This board is great, The members have great info and are willing to share it. I'm a newbie, and the only person in my familly that chases fish, and I have learned a lot just from reading others posts. I also like the fact that I am within close proximity to many of the members.

Clammer
01-10-2006, 08:07 PM
CUZ John pays me the Big f @#$%^&*( Bucks:uhoh:

great people on the site / I,ve had great times with alot of the members ..fished new area,s /made good friendships ,.,..,.,<<><<

Just a great bunch of people , plenty of info , great sponsors, a F @#$%^&*( ball are some of the F #$%^&*() thread,s :bounce: :bounce:

tlapinski
01-10-2006, 08:11 PM
CUZ John pays me the Big f @#$%^&*( Bucks:uhoh:

great people on the site / I,ve had great times with alot of the members ..fished new area,s /made good friendships ,.,..,.,<<><<

Just a great bunch of people , plenty of info , great sponsors, a F @#$%^&*( ball are some of the F #$%^&*() thread,s :bounce: :bounce:
I'm here because I always wanted to learn a second language and Clam-talk is just what I was looking for! @@$bloooofish^#>>>???///

Mike P
01-10-2006, 08:42 PM
One cold winter day about 6 years ago, John left the door open and I walked in to warm myself by the fire. I didn't really know anyone except John and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, both of whom I met on a fishing board in a faraway land, over the rainbow somewhere. But it seemed like a friendly enough place, so I started hanging around. Finally it got to the point where John told me if I was gonna hang around so much, I might as well earn my keep, so he tossed me a set of keys so I could let myself in when the shop was closed :D :rotf2:

scoobe
01-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Jake I am here to buy your old equipment :)

Nebe
ive been building plugs for about 5 or 6 years. totally self taught for the most part, then one day a few years ago i went in to kingcove in stonington to pick up a couple plugs. Don and i got to talking and i showed him some of my plugs and he wrote down the adress of this site on a napkin and the rest is history. Ive learned a lifetime of info from the plug building forum.. met some friends, met some people i will never trust agian.. live and learn.
great site john :D

Goose
S-B has that tackle shop atmosphere, if you know what its like having a good shop with a good owner then you'll feel right at home.

Christian
01-10-2006, 08:56 PM
i joined here for plug building about 3 or 4 years ago.
but its been alot more. over the past few years ive gained friends, new tactics, skils, and saw there were alot of people just like me, who are seriously addicted to fishing for striped bass.
this was my first year fishing alot, and fishing harcore, and its pretty nice to come here in the off season and keep learning even while off the beach. i get pretty depressed this time of year not being able to fish and this is kinda like a substitute to fishing.

Diggin Jiggin
01-10-2006, 09:02 PM
I like it because it kind of keeps you thinking about the fishing year round. Plus its nice to know there are a lot of other guys as committed to it as I am, and sometimes you guys even go a step or 2 beyond where I would go.

I've learned quite a few things, lots of small tips on gear and techniques that have actually helped me land a few fish I would have lost.

From a plug building perspective the guys in there are a lot of fun, and I like to drool on all the pictures.

afterhours
01-10-2006, 09:03 PM
good community spirt here, :btu: john. what clammer and striperhound said. made a few real good friends here.

ThrowingTimber
01-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Where else can you go to meet obsessive complusive anglers, that like hooters n wings in the slow (no off) season??

thefishingfreak
01-10-2006, 09:16 PM
ditto what everyone said. small comunity here whear people care and help each other out even if it's in secret hanshake code.
i started in the plug forum as whell :lurk: :eyes:

JohnR
01-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanks guys - you are like a second family - disfunctional and everything :hihi:

You guys hit the nail on the head. Community. The Brotherhood of Suds. Whatever you want to call it. But community. Personally, some of the best experiences I've had, certainly in fishing, have come from a lot of you. A lot of the admiration I have from people have come from you and a few of your family - here and no longer here. I think this has grown a little past the "hobby" stage but it has also gelled as a community that shares a common interest. I have not chased the quick buck with S-B and have truly tried to do the best I can by the community without totally sacrificing my real job or family :conf: . We've had our goods and bads but they were mostly good. And we (usually) try to do the right thing. That's important. Sure sometimes the squabbles get a little petty and half of those can be chalked up to miscommunication.

Above all, I take personal pride in the friendships I have created as well as knowing that a few of you have made some longtime friendships because of S-B, and many have shared and become better anglers.

I've seen this 14 year old kid making cross-eyed plugs for 4 years now :btu: and caught fishies on them.

I've seen some young and fledgling builders go out and produce some fish catching product.

I've seen some guys ever wondering when they would get their first twenty pounder to now wondering how many 40s they would get this year.

I've seen groups of people getting together to support dear friends in need and to support people they have never before met.

I've gained the experience of seeing bass tailing in Scorton's creek near the end of the drop into the rising sun in early June. Bluefin Tuna slicing thru peanut bunker so thick you could walk on 'em. I've been to the back beaches in a snot storm for a lone nice fish. I've been to Cuttyhunk with some class people having a classic time that I will always cherish (twice). I've gotten more than a few plugs from you builders that I happily feed to fish (and my appologies for not thanking you as often as I could have or telling you how I've caught with them). I've gone to Maine, to Nantucket, to the Cape, to the Vineyard, to Naps, and everyplace in between and enjoyed every minute with many of you... So if it has been a while since saying so - thanks!

And big round of thanks to the guys that make this place tick: Saltheart, Slip, Fishpart, Billy, and Mike!

I've even seen a perfectly functional boat lying crossways in the middle of the street //*&$:af:FF

What else can you ask for?? Just a great group of people doing great things for each other!

tattoobob
01-10-2006, 09:27 PM
I come here because I love to catch striped Bass, and this site is no BS. ask a honest question and get alot of great answers. The admin. is not a hitler and pretty much lets everyone do what they like to a point. But don't try to get any spots LOL.

I met a great number of surfcasters and fished with alot of them.

justplugit
01-10-2006, 09:32 PM
I would have to say two words, "the people". Solid, down to earth people here who make me feel "right at home". I feel like i've known alot of you my whole life. :) The best of the best, some who have helped me, in more ways, than they will ever know.:)
Thank you.

Slingah
01-10-2006, 10:12 PM
Im here for the free food.............and lightning storms

ThrowingTimber
01-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Im mostly here for the health and dental plan. :cool:

NIB
01-10-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm here because other than fishin I have no life.
So this gives me more life.

I think.
Plus i can piss people off an not really give a sh!t about it.
Ah, all the good reasons where already takin. So I made somethin up..

fishaholic18
01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm here because..Well..I Love U &^%$#@! Guyz...:lm:
Seriously, thanks John.
Met a lot of great guys here...

Slipknot
01-10-2006, 11:32 PM
I followed ChrisL in
he left the door open

now I can't find my way out
and I don't know what day it is

Bob Thomas
01-11-2006, 12:32 AM
This site is better than the rest because it's still small and, like Goose said, a "Tackle Shop" atmosphere! Great information and no one seems to be tearing apart posts like other sites!

I just love you guys :love: :love:

gone fishin
01-11-2006, 12:32 AM
Flies Ties & Lies - Plugs too. And all of the above!:bgi:

lurch
01-11-2006, 01:35 AM
I am on this site because of equipment. I was looking for a replacement of a conventional rod I had for many years. I searched on the internet and found tackle direct.com. After reviewing the rods they had for sale I then looked for a review on some lamiglas rods which led me here. I registered and read some of the reviews bought the rod then got involved with some of the discussions. I can honestly say that there are only 5 sites I visit on the net and 3 of them are striper sites.

This site and others has turned my hobbie into an addiction and my wife thanks all of you for turning me to the dark side.

I hope to go to some of the events so I can meet more of the folks here and tap into the expertise as well.

macojoe
01-11-2006, 01:44 AM
I did a search on rod building and found this place. And MikeCC had a rod building class at his house and thats were I built my first rod!! From there I moved from the rod building to the rest of the board.
Its a great place to hang!! Even if I don't post as much as I use to, but I am here several times a day everyday!!
I have also met some real nice people here!! and have made a new best friend also!
Also met bassmaster, Lives 1/4 mile away!! what more could I guy want!!:rotf3:

Thanks John!!

MakoMike
01-11-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm here mainly becasue of the people, and also because most of the people are local to me. I'm on a lot of fishing boards, but this place is more like my "home waters."

Offshore
01-11-2006, 08:29 AM
I came here a few months ago because a couple guys I fish with mentioned the site. I came and looked and liked what I've seen and plan to stay around awhile - at least till the fishing starts up again.

vineyardblues
01-11-2006, 08:30 AM
I found this place after buying some antique lures from a freak and he told me about this page. :jump:
VB

chris L
01-11-2006, 08:31 AM
why am I here ? hmmmmmmm a very good question . well I think either I was drinking and fell through the door or slipknot pushed me in the door . I dont remember it seems so long ago . either way Im not going anywhere !

no wait I know why Im here . I like to hold long roads in thunderstorms . no no no thats not it . I like to wrastle allig oops striped bass . no no no thats not it . I like to take long walks on beaches late at night with men I barely know . no no no thats definately not it . The stars brought me here ( dave mental ) . no no no thats not it . let me see ................
Oh hell I have no clue why Im here .

maybe Im just the class clown !!!!!

Flaptail
01-11-2006, 08:42 AM
'cause I like to fish.

Saltheart
01-11-2006, 08:43 AM
I clicked here and I clicked there and I ended up here. Then I didn't want to be here so I clicked something that said "blah blah blah homepage". Now everytime I turn the computer on , it comes here on its own. Been trying 6 years to go soemwhere else but no matter what , it still comes here when I turn it on. I'm stuck in the Twilight Zone!

Rappin Mikey
01-11-2006, 09:10 AM
My brother, Rick Bomba, some how suckered me into helping him cater at what I think was the first TFCTFN. He told me I had a good chance of winning some cool stuff at the raffle, and I'd meet a bunch of good people. Well he was right. I had fun, won stuff, met people, and even did a lil rappin on the mic. A few days later, I heard my brother had signed me into the web-site as Rappin Mikey. Hence that is the story why I am here, as well as why I am Rappin Mikey.

Pete F.
01-11-2006, 09:32 AM
This site is like a good sandwich, less bread more meat. I came to learn how to make plugs and I am...learning
Oh yeah I came for spots too...but that did'nt work cuz I mostly fish in Maine and there are no fish there or is it fisherman there.

RIJIMMY
01-11-2006, 09:36 AM
I basically have no one to talk fishing with, even those people who I know that fish think that surf fishing at night is nuts. This site allows me to communicate with people with a similar passion, learn some new things, share some knowledge and kill time when I am not fishing. I've been extremely imperssed with the quality of the people I have met out here and in the surf. This is a great community of great people

janiejones
01-11-2006, 09:42 AM
A mean man introduced me to it.
And then I stole one of his plugs.
The End.

Squibby17
01-11-2006, 09:43 AM
My family likes to say that I have a "fishing problem" to the point where they joke about having interventions to make me slow down.
When I told them I joined a "striped-bass fishing website" needless to say that generated some laughs.

It was said before but, we all share a passion, and in my case none of my immediate family and friends have it. Its nice to interact with people with the same interests and I'm hopeing to meet some members and wet a line next season :kewl:

MoroneSaxatilis
01-11-2006, 10:20 AM
I came for the "Hottie Thread".

No wait. Seriously.

I have an affinity for large women. I Googled "big girls" and wound up here.

Ummm...no.. that wasn't it either.

Actually, after using "yo-yo" baits successfully for the first time this past year, I needed additional info on them. Google led me here. I had been striper fishing for about 10-12 years from a boat, and thought I knew what I was doing. I have subsequently discovered that sometimes, "you don't know what you don't know", and now I eagerly absorb any and all info, hoping to improve my fishing skills beyond googan status.

chris L
01-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I have an affinity for large women. I Googled "big girls" and wound up here.

its only fair that everyone gets lovin . Im just glad your taking care of that group .

Jimbo
01-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Actually, it was about four years ago. I needed to get some experience with the internet. A guy in my IT department suggested I pick an "appropriate" topic I knew reasonably well and see what I could find. It was at a time when I'd taken a hiatus from fishing, my kids were older and I wanted back in, so I typed in "striped-bass fishing". Why I stayed is many-fold. Because the site offers so much in so many different forums. I can express an opinion or seek advice or just read what the more experienced are saying or doing (like the plug builders work I am daily in awe of). There's other sites here in NJ I look at on occasion, but S-B is up on my laptop from the time I get to work until I leave, maybe in part it's because I have a history and strong family ties on Cape Cod and that's ultimately where I will to be. I can jump back in from time-to-time and see what's new and it relieves the stress of my day. Because of the underlying theme we all come here for, I've formed friendships I don't have with people I regularly see face-to-face. The way members support each other in times of crises is practically unimaginable. The site has an integrity that's highly regarded and rarely broken and no matter the level of expertise of the person making a post, it's generally received and responded to with equal integrity and respect. Unless warranted, no one is ever made to feel bad or stupid about asking a question or giving an opinion. I can ramble on for a paragraph and not put into words all the reasons I come back each day. Maybe the better question to ask would have been, "Why aren't you here?"

Krispy
01-11-2006, 12:04 PM
:bsod:

steelhead
01-11-2006, 12:28 PM
The community
The razzing
The meaty threads
Both plugs and flies
The incredibly helpful people
The Ho'ing.....
:-)

Clammer
01-11-2006, 12:59 PM
YO YO FISHING ?????????????????????????:angel:

MoroneSaxatilis
01-11-2006, 01:12 PM
YO YO FISHING ?????????????????????????:angel:
are ya not familiar ///wit (yo-yo's////?????
there F%#&(*@ Xpensive (///// take a loottaa werk to make
F@!$%^& SUX when the bloooooooofish grab em!!!

:crying:

Gloucester2
01-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Beats workin' for a livin' :D

libassboy
01-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Striped bass brought me here.
The community made me stay.
Thanks JohnR!

RickBomba
01-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Same reason people take up guitar!!!
For the babes!!!
Oh, well...maybe not!!!
I'm here for the jugs, I love jugs!!!
Later,
Vegas Rick

NIB
01-11-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm here because there's a MakoMike an a macojoe.
Where else can ya get that.
An because I also don't know what daY IT IS.

Jungledog
01-11-2006, 07:03 PM
I stumbled here some time ago after a search on the net for striped bass. I live in the mountains, several hours from the ocean in a couple of different directions. Due to the distance and life things in general, I only get the opportunity once in a while to go salt water fishing. I love the ocean and fishing in general. Fishing is always a great experience, whether it is in the ocean or in a mountain brook. For salt water fishing I lack information on tackle, technique, "spots" (grins, I pay attention to spots) etc. I have found this site to be very informative and am very glad and proud to be a member.

BobT
01-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I'm here because I like to listen to all the lies the people tell. About all the big fish that got away. All the war stories. I think I'm in fantasy land. Wait..........I need another drink.

Bazza
01-11-2006, 09:22 PM
John's site has great people associated with it, lots of fishing knowledge/wisdom, great sponsors, get togethers for fishing and BSing, lots and lots of plugs to drool over.... Always learning something new to try.

striprman
01-11-2006, 09:47 PM
To learn a few things, to pass on my minimal knowledge and to have fun.

oh, and to be inane too

castn4bass
01-11-2006, 10:07 PM
I came for the info , and ended up with an addiction! You dirty bastages got me addicted to plug building, and i want to thank each and every one of you in the plug forum , because all the detail and experience dealt out freely is amazing!

BigFish
01-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Its the only place I can use the word inane!:laugha:

Whats up Steve?:)

Also I was promised free all I can eat plover wings and seal ribs!

striprman
01-11-2006, 10:56 PM
I've been good lately:angel:

jugstah
01-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Well, I don't know about you guys but I'm here for the porn.... ehhh... not of the naked women varieties but the centerfolds of striped bass, these make my winters go by...:bl: :bl:

Fishpart
01-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Snuck in about the same time as MikeP and Saltheart and I can't get out. I've met some good people here and fished with some. Youe #^$&$ers have got me wrapping rods, pouring plastic, making plugs, tying teaser flies and I can't #$^*(%$ escape HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Rock Hopper
01-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I don't remember how I came here but I came to learn about the NE mentality towards us ("Yankees") or non-NE'drs since a business was launched that would need this community if it was going to go anywhere. I still haven't figured out the whole thinking process thing but that's what makes it interesting.:gf:

I stayed because as so many have said, this is by far one of the most close knit group of down to earth, genuine people anyone can ask for. :kewl:

John, has said it best, this site seems to bring out a lot of the good in what we as fisherman and sportsmen are, in so many ways. Personally I feel honored to be welcomed here and to have made so many friends and aquiantences that I wish I could see more often.

As a business owner, I have also learned a lot about what the public thinks and wants and it has helped in defining our path to a degree. I have gotten suggestions, feedback & ideas that are invaluable as well as help and guidance from a few guys here that I would consider good friends and who I cannot thank enough. We have gotten your support and I believe we have gotten your belief in AquaSkinz and I want to take this opportunity since it seems so appropriate, to thank each and everyone one of you for it.:thanks:

Oh, and John, you seem to have hit a lot great spots over the years...but you are missing one :uhuh: ... The "Mecca" awaits your arrival sometime in June or September of 2006...so load er up and hop in your:ss: and head South my friend soon: :point: :wave: .

Sudsrat
01-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Seems like a friendly bunch here at S-B.com,so I joined up :uhuh:

Plus,I would really like to broaden my fishing horizons, to learn more and fish more places.
Being in PA.,I mostly fish local(Jersey)water with a yearly trip to the Cape's.
Cod and Hatteras.
Week long trips.Not alot of time to get really,really familiar with the beaches.I've done alright,but I'd like to learn more to get into that "big fish" or 10% club ;)

Steve

Mr. Sandman
01-18-2006, 09:52 PM
ditto. I just like the smell of this place. It smells like a bait shop. I know we don't all agree on everything (it would be boring if we did) and sometimes we get po'ed with some posts...but that is what is so great about this place. The fact that we can disagree on somethings yet fully agree on other things and pick up a few tips along the way. I don't think anyone can say that have not learned something from this site.
I for one have learned a thing or two over the years (and I am very greatful to those that have helped me...you know who you are) and more important to me, I have made many good friends along the way.

Besides as odd as this may seem to you, this is actually a big part of my "social" life.:wiggle:

Slingah
01-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Besides as odd as this may seem to you, this is actually a big part of my "social" life.:wiggle:
:wiggle: not odd at all Sandman.....big part of mine as well

Newboater
01-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Me. I'm trying to learn how to catch fish rather than just go fishing.
Sarge

mekcotuit
01-20-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm along with Newboater... fairly new to the site and want to learn all about all there is.....as an old guy on the Cape told me: it's not called catching, it's called fishing...

ProfessorM
01-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Because I have an addiction and there is no such thing as FA yet so this will have to do. It's all about the people. I could care less if someone caught a 50 lber or a 10 lber or 20 50 lbers everyone has something to share of equal merit. You'll never know everything and to me learning is what life is all about and you will get that here, and if you are lucky you might just help someone out and to me that is what makes this site tick. The constant ball busting is icing on the cake. Paul