View Full Version : MV Times article on Oak Bluffs Shark Tournament

UserRemoved1
01-14-2006, 07:43 PM
http://www.mvtimes.com/content/20060112/weekly_stories/shark_tournament.php

NIB
01-14-2006, 07:58 PM
It's a joke they are even entertaining oposition to the event.Over 40 letters probably written by 4 people.
Screw em move it someplace else they will come.

dickmont
01-14-2006, 08:54 PM
if they don't have a tree to hug a shark will do just fine:laugha: you have to wonder just what rock they live under

Mr. Sandman
01-14-2006, 09:10 PM
This has been going on now for a while. You have a group of folks who don't fish, don't understand fishing and who have a persistant loud voice. IMO (and I repeat MY OPINION) I think most of these voices come from environmental whackos who are out of touch with anything connected to fishing. They think these shark fisherman are out of control drunkin trouble makers...ther may have been issues in the past that could be tied to some fishermen but in the summer OB is a meca for party animals...fishermen or not. I think the fisherman are pretty tame and not troublemakers. There is not that much trouble from the event. I like the event but think there should be some improvements. I think the cutting up of the fish by the scientists on the dock should be done elsewhere, this creates a blood bath in the parking lot that turns a lot of people off who take a peek at the event:yak6: . This should be done off sight in a warehouse someplace. The weigh in is very exciting but haul them away to do the autopsy. The harbor is packed and there is limited space now. I think they could use other island harbors to support the growth of the event.
You know how most ploverlovers are...they want to STOP this because it is WRONG! These are people who drive hybrids and gag at the sight of a 60'er pulling up to the fuel dock. In their eyes fishermen are overweight lazy beer drinking loud troublemakers. You are not going to change thier minds. Further, that new TV show that shows west coast shark fishing I think puts a negitive spin on the sport. It is not quite like that on the boats I have fished on.

MakoMike
01-15-2006, 08:48 AM
The merchants will sure rgret it if the BBGC moves the tourney to somewhere else. I'm sure they would be welcome most anywhere in Pt. Judith.

Swimmer
01-15-2006, 11:08 AM
I think it was in the American Fish Story, about the shad, that I read of the importance of these large fish tourneys to the scientific community. The skeleltal work they are able to perform is extraordinarily important. But as Sandman says, the autopsy work could be performed somewhere else maybe. The blood probably does draw some people though.

clambelly
01-16-2006, 01:24 PM
I think the cutting up of the fish by the scientists on the dock should be done elsewhere, this creates a blood bath in the parking lot that turns a lot of people off who take a peek at the event:yak6: . This should be done off sight in a warehouse someplace.

If you firmly believe in something, you should not compromise your values and beliefs! i believe this tournament, as others have said, is a valuable resource for the scientific community. by showing the gutting and measuring you can teach people exactly what they are doing. ive watched the show and am a big fan, and i love the fact that Greg Skomal (sp) is on there and describing exactly what they are doing. they could be inspiring the next generation of shark research.

Don't let a few loudmouths chase away another one of OUR traditions!!!!!

Saltheart
01-16-2006, 03:25 PM
In their eyes fishermen are overweight lazy beer drinking loud troublemakers.

I'm not loud!! :)

Mr. Sandman
01-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Greg is a great guy and has mentioned in public forums that this tourny provides the bulk of the shark data that they get. But most of the on lookers don't hear that or there is a disconnect between the science and the gore. They see a bunch of pumped up fishermen, a sea of blood and guys with their arms up the sharks abdomen. It doesn't bother me but if you look around most are turned off by this. I think it would be more public friendly if this part of the event was done elsewhere. In my view this is what is driving the problem. If they just came in weighed the fish and claimed the prize that would be enough of a thrill for the public...the blood they don't need. You have to understand the that general public although they eat, pork, chicken and beef, have never been to slauter house to watch them all die to produce it...maybe they should but I doubt the meat produces would be too happy. I think many people would be turned off to see that kind of thing. Even my youngest kid who does a lot of fishing and has seen me clean a lot of fish and knows fish have to die so we can eat them and is not put off by me cleaning fish but, is turned off to watch the spillage in the parking lot. I think it is the shear size fish and the volume of matter that spills out triggers some emotion in many. There are guys with knee high boots that are covered in blood and they look like they are having fun doing it. This is what is what is driving the negitive feedback from the public in my view.

Also, the OB merchants will be fine weather it stays or goes, the place jammed all summer. Another event of some kind will fill the open weekend in minutes. I think the harbor will stay pretty busy but not quite as jammed for a few nights. The harbor generates a lot of cash for the town this is the main money maker for the event. The problems are now that the contest is grown to the point where it is overflowing the harbor and the amount of fuel needed is a concern as well as boat docking. I think these can be resolved (and have been). Bad behavior can is not an issue just a complaint that they pile on to stop the event. I would like to see it stay as I think sharks and shark fishing have a great history here. Also, it is a lot of fun!