View Full Version : Your Preference?

BigFish
01-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Topwater or subsurface? Which type of fishing gives you the most jollies?:huh: I, for one, am a bonafide topwater junkie! Pencils, chuggers, spooks.....it doesn't matter.....if it brings a striper crashing to the surface, and sends the plug flying through the air with repeated follows and strikes culminating with a nice firm hookup and a tight line.....lots of thrashing and splashing....:drool:...oh yeah! Thats what I like!:uhuh:

But I also love the hard jerk after dark on a swimming plug......the slow, delibererate retrieve......the rod tip bouncing ever so softly to the thrumm of the plugs movement....and....then.....SLAM!!!! Its fish on and fight!:cool:

thefishingfreak
01-17-2006, 07:58 PM
i'm a bottom bouncer.

BigFish
01-17-2006, 08:01 PM
:sleeps: Come on Freak.....spice it up here....we talkin' plugs not jigs!

afterhours
01-17-2006, 08:03 PM
topwater rules in my book!

BigFish
01-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Spin your version of topwater heaven o' Afterhours!:uhuh:

afterhours
01-17-2006, 08:11 PM
bass up to 25 lbs blasting spooksters and pencils out of the water for hours on end! that be a piece of heaven.

BigFish
01-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Would that be a rocky spot....perhaps?:drool:

afterhours
01-17-2006, 08:19 PM
........maybe :pop: :wiggle:

Slipknot
01-17-2006, 08:37 PM
I love topwater action also but I prefer to fish at night and am addicted to fishing needles on the beaches or sometimes bombers. Anyway to get a fish on the other end is fine by me. Jigs have gotten me my largest fish though.

jomlt9@AOL.COM
01-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Top water junkie at birth:wiggle:

riverrat2
01-17-2006, 09:32 PM
I do 99% of my fishing in the dark so I rarely get to see the fish hit. I would say my favorite type of fishing is with needles. Crawling a blurple Habs with a nice NE wind in your face, letting the plug roll around in the surf and then feeling that light pick up, almost like fishing eels. Or fishing a blorange afterhours needle on a fall night when the surf is basically flat but there is a strong current due to the moon. Fishing it a bit faster than the habs and adding a very light twitch and pause every once in awhile. Or fishing a big 3oz black and gold Mac Pikie. I tuned this plug to perfection and it swims PERFECT. Toss it around this one rock pile where fish consistently hold. The water moving around the rock from the incoming and outgoing waves cause the plug to swim with out any reeling. I hold it there and repeat. When the fish takes during this situation it is a lot different from fishing needles, at times it can be furocious(sp?). Is it May yet? I like this thread bigfish

libassboy
01-17-2006, 09:50 PM
I love fishin spooks/howdys bass just nail those things. Redfins are annother thing i just love to fish, you can really make that plug do some nifty tricks, i guess they would be considered topwater also.

Young Salt
01-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Up top for fun.........

Down low for ##

Nebe
01-17-2006, 10:10 PM
my favorite is fishing dawn.. the water is glass calm and im crawling a danny in at the slowest possible retreive with a little twitch here and a pop there. The coffee hasnt set in yet and i can hardly stay awake and then it happens. The heavens open up and the great bass god drops a 20 lb cinderblock out of the sky onto my plug and theres a cow bass in the mid 2o's shooting halfway out of the water only to crash back in. It sounds trying to remove the plug from its mouth any way it can. it takes about 20 yards on its first run, and then i slowly winch it in carefully paying attention not to pull the hooks. I beach it and slowly make love to it while a sweedish looking blond cheers me on smearing herself with bunker oil.

yeah i like topwater :smokin:

Squid kids Dad
01-17-2006, 10:19 PM
I love top water..Nothing better than following the plug along the surface and see it EXPLODE....But with braid below surface especially at night is awesome

capesams
01-17-2006, 10:20 PM
i'm a bottom bouncer.

snicker not at his answer......lead and plug's do go hand and hand,,,,take a floating/ semi-float 4" needle,,,put 2' of leader on,,,then enough lead [sinker]forward of that to get the plug down on the bottom,,,bounce it along.....enough said.

steelhead
01-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Nebe, You Hedonist!!!!

Top-o-water for yah-yahs for sure! Big spook from the yak worked slowwwwwly over a submerged boulder field...... BAM!!!! Who says Bass don't jump!!!! Nothin' like a Nantucket Sleigh Ride with a 20/30 pound bass as your mule team :-)

But I love the mystery of the night as well. Those dark ones where every once in a while the hair on the back of your neck stands straight up on end for no reason, and you just have to get your a** out of there right now kind of nights.....

Nebe
01-17-2006, 10:25 PM
Up top for fun.........

Down low for ##
:boots: :wiggle:

BigFish
01-18-2006, 01:13 AM
Ahhh....my apologies to Bernzy as I hastened to mention the fabulous Howdy!:drool: Thats one grat plug!:uhuh:

ThrowingTimber
01-18-2006, 01:30 AM
My love is topwater my mistress is dark of night foggy, or a nice driven rain blastin needle fish out to gawd knows where and you start to fall into some sort of rythmic retreive then WHAM ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing... ahh love it..:uhuh:

Tagger
01-18-2006, 06:28 AM
Favirote plug is a needle.. catches fish if they are in tight or out on the end of your best cast . great with a teaser or without.. I like when the fish just follow the needle in, then fear its meal is escaping into the shallows,, Then all hell breaks loose right in front of you. On a slow ,quiet night it will get your heart going real fast ..

Karl F
01-18-2006, 06:35 AM
needles at night, dannys at daybreak.

NIB
01-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Third week of june in NJ.Bass to 40 lbs on pencils.One time three yrs ago after a good storm big bass had bunkies pinned on the north side of a jetty just me an 3 o my buds bass to 41 lbs absolutley crushin pencils.for 90 mins.we all had fish over 30 lbs.U ain't seen notin till u seen big fish blowin up right in front of ya.That happens for like 2 weeks out of the yr when the wind is an stars are right.

Other than that give me a good jig bite anyday.I like it down an dirty.

redneck24
01-18-2006, 06:51 AM
Top water junkie at birth:wiggle:

:uhuh:

Jigman
01-18-2006, 07:53 AM
The largest portion of my stripers are caught on jigs. Also throw some subsurface plugs and catch on them. That said, I'm still a topwater junkie :uhuh: Spring time, at night, some good topwater action on swimmers. Very quiet on the lake, right up against a rock cliff, you can just barely make out the V-wake of a small swimmer coming oh so slow on top BLAM!!! it gets hit :tooth: Right up against the rock like that creates an extra loud echo. Real :kewl:

Jigman

Bronko
01-18-2006, 07:55 AM
I beach it and slowly make love to it while a sweedish looking blond cheers me on smearing herself with bunker oil.

yeah i like topwater :smokin:[/QUOTE]

That was great, I was just laughing my a** of Nebe

The Dad Fisherman
01-18-2006, 08:35 AM
You're standing on a rock about a 1/2 hour before sunrise, where the sky is almost a slate blue color. Thick fog to where you can only see 15-20 feet in front of you and the water is like glass. Your working a popper back out of the fog 1/2 asleep and then BAM!!! 20 lb'er hits it and suddenly you feel like you just drank 20 cups of coffee. Your line starts to peel and is running to the left. you play your foe until he finally submits and you drag him up on the rocks.

You drag your prize back to solid land and are greeted by Jessica Alba wearing a "barely there" string bikini. She walks over to you. looks up and says in a whisper "I want you to make me feel like a woman". So I gaze deeply in her Eyes and say firmly " OK.....Go Clean this fish and make me some breakfast"

OK so I took some creative license on the 2nd paragraph but the 1st one happened, and he was released to swim another day. That was the was the coolest morning I ever had.....to me Topwater is a blast. Just watching them crash that lure is a rush

eastendlu
01-18-2006, 09:25 AM
Yes i'll admit it i'm a topwater junkie.So what if i always need a fix.:smokin:

Lower
01-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Top water for me too.

This gets me every time, Freshwater or Salt. Sitting in the kayak woking a topwater plug. Just towards the end of the retrieve I start reeling a little quicker already looking to where I'm casting next...BAAAAAAM! Right at the side. From a boat you get a startle, from a kayak you literally piss your pants.

ThrowingTimber
01-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Posted by TDF says in a whisper "I want you to make me feel like a woman". So I gaze deeply in her Eyes and say firmly " OK.....Go Clean this fish and make me some breakfast"
:buds: Right on dude!

steelhead
01-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Lower, I can relate to that!!!
:-)

RI Popper
01-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Staying Fishing related there is absolutely no rush greater than fishing top water. You get the feel of the line, the sound of the splash and the sight of the hit. Great combination. And the topic of my seminar at the Saltwater show! :cputin: working on it now:pop:

RIROCKHOUND
01-18-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm a jig junkie as well;
but in the surf give me a loaded redfin running just underwater; when it gets blown out of the water by a bass that then nails it one crank after it splashes back down.....

RI Popper
01-18-2006, 03:09 PM
needles at night, dannys at daybreak.

Karl, your theory is a very very good one that many agree with. However, I know one man named Paul L. who fishes the Quanni breachway many dark nights who just kills them on poppers :) Gotta love the old "Blup, blup, blup"

Armand:uhuh:

Clogston29
01-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Top water is fun but give me a dark, foggy night where I can't see anything and a needle, swimmer or sluggo worked just under the surface any day. Just that instant between when you set the hook and the fish realizes its hooked, when it could be anything on the end of your line as far as you know, is the best feeling on earth IMO. Top water action is too visual and just doesn't have the same thrill to me.

Raider Ronnie
01-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Up top for fun.........

Down low for ##

Thats a great way to put it !!!

Striperhound
01-18-2006, 07:51 PM
Pencil Poppers and Danny's. I find myself fishing them everytime Im on the water.

Young Salt
01-18-2006, 08:21 PM
I gaze deeply in her Eyes and say firmly " OK.....Go Clean this fish and make me some breakfast"

classic bundyisim :laughs:

blastin needle fish out to gawd knows where and you start to fall into some sort of rythmic retreive

that would be the 'needle trance' :uhoh:

striperondafly
01-19-2006, 07:19 PM
topwater is the most rewarding due to the visuals but I catch alot more on swimmers. I really like diving swimmers like Tattoo's (white with pink stripe) :bounce:

shadow
01-19-2006, 08:35 PM
I'm a jig junkie as well;
but in the surf give me a loaded redfin running just underwater; when it gets blown out of the water by a bass that then nails it one crank after it splashes back down.....
:humpty:

gldnbear93
01-20-2006, 10:37 AM
I love watching the boil and splash when a fish hits a plug riding right up on top.