View Full Version : Favorite Coffee

cheferson
01-18-2006, 08:15 AM
WHats your favorite coffee? SO far i like the starbucks Gold coast the best.

RIROCKHOUND
01-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Blue Mountain; expensive but when the shop near my office (bagelz) has it once a week it's worth it to get a cup...
My buddy brought back some local coffee from the Domenican in Nov. that stuff was killer; bold yet fairly smooth. He also learned that 8 bags of coffee is the limit; more than that and they search your luggage :D

Nebe
01-18-2006, 08:54 AM
williams and sonoma old money blend. Roasted and ground by one legged naked peasants in Bogota.

Bernzy
01-18-2006, 08:57 AM
Tanzanian Peaberry, Honduras or Peruvian:drool:

Bernzy

redneck24
01-18-2006, 10:00 AM
DUNKIN DONUTS:drool:

reelecstasy
01-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Local- StarBucks Verona bold

All time- Jamaican Blue Mountain...:humpty: :drool:

janiejones
01-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Three Star Diner.... practically doesn't even need a sweetener! :uhuh:

Sgt_Nutz
01-18-2006, 10:31 AM
DD here too. :buds:

denport
01-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Jamaican Blue mountain at 40+ bucks a pound is a nice treat, Bute the hot chocolate sparrow's contractors blend[vienna roast] is jam packed with flavor and go juice. 2 cups of that is my limit.:shocked: :bounce:

RIJIMMY
01-18-2006, 11:05 AM
:drool: Pete's

spence
01-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Blue Mountain is nice coffee, but it's not worth the cost. Not when the money could be better spent on my son's early education or handmade salumi.

There are too many great coffees to mention really. Just make sure it's freshly roasted, fair trade, stored and brewed with utmost care and you simply can't go wrong.

I'd take Starbucks over DD any day, but they tend to go overboard with the roaster on many coffees. Don't know if this is how they want it, or if it's just to mask bean or freshness issues.

Pete's is much better than starbucks, but for even money you can get better beans roasted locally at Coastal Roasters in Tiverton. Please patronize them whenever possible.

-spence

Clogston29
01-18-2006, 11:10 AM
Starbucks Sumatra

The Starbucks Christmas Brew was good this year too.

fishsmith
01-18-2006, 11:36 AM
IKEA - not only a 99 cent breakfast but a damn good cup o Joe

reelecstasy
01-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Blue Mountain is nice coffee, but it's not worth the cost. Not when the money could be better spent on my son's early education or handmade salumi.
-spence

Mine gets sent direct from JA, I get fresh beans cheaper than buying a pound from dunkies :cool:
With 3+ trips a year to JA, I also bring home "several" pounds to give away to friends....

Sea Dangles
01-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Guatamalen,Sumatran,too many to list.Go to coffeereview.com it's to coffee what Wine Spectator is to wine.Complete with links for online purchasing.Tres expensive but do indulge!!!

cheferson
01-18-2006, 01:11 PM
Anyone ever try that coffee that the civet(think thats the animal) craps out??

basswipe
01-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Anyone ever try that coffee that the civet(think thats the animal) craps out??

http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Publications/Zoogoer/1996/4/coffeeluwak.cfm

Civet Crap Coffee.Mmm Mmm Good!:drool:

Raider Ronnie
01-18-2006, 02:16 PM
for me , Hot coffee :laughs:
I think ice coffee is the biggest ripoff going !!!

Mike P
01-18-2006, 03:01 PM
DDs :yak6: I'd rather drink 7/11 coffee for half a buck a cup less.

Starbucks---overpriced

I like Zabar's Continental Blend. Zabars ships mail order/online orders all over. About $5.99/lb as opposed to close to $10/lb for Lottabucks.

RIJIMMY
01-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Not to thread hi-jack, but I'm curous if anyone knows why the coffe at a shop (Sbucks, Petes) tastes SOOOO much better in the shop than when I brew it at home?
Sdangles, awesome coffee review site, thansk for posting, I read a few reviews and bought some !:wiggle:

Rappin Mikey
01-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Irish coffee of course

spence
01-18-2006, 03:26 PM
Not to thread hi-jack, but I'm curous if anyone knows why the coffe at a shop (Sbucks, Petes) tastes SOOOO much better in the shop than when I brew it at home?
It's probably because you haven't a clue as to what you're doing :humpty:

-spence

Backbeach Jake
01-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Eight O'Clock Columbian brewed strong and black.

afterhours
01-18-2006, 05:27 PM
i like to camp on the west branch of the penobscott salmon fishing and that first am camp coffee is the BEST!

Backbeach Jake
01-18-2006, 07:07 PM
i like to camp on the west branch of the penobscott salmon fishing and that first am camp coffee is the BEST!
Coffee perked on the fire is true Heaven!

spence
01-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Coffee perked on the fire is true Heaven!
Cowboy style with the large coffee can and a stick?

That brings back some memories...

-spence

sok
01-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Sdangles, awesome coffee review site, thansk for posting, I read a few reviews and bought some !:wiggle:

Commercial brewers have constant hot water.
Always-on heater.
They start with hot water.
Home brewers have the same coil for heating the water and the pot.
They start cold.

spence
01-18-2006, 11:55 PM
That certainly is a major factor.

Jimmy, think of making coffee as an equation with various factors. I'll even (intentionally) over complicate this a bit just to irk PIEMMA ;)

1. Water quality - A commercial machine will have a water filter, so use filtered water at home. Remember coffee is 99.9% water.

2. Proper water temp - Get a machine that brews at the proper temp, there are reviews online that will often indicate this. It's not always a function of price.

Insulated carafes work great, but you do need to pre-heat the carafe before the brew. If the machine has a hot plate, don't let the coffee sit and bake...drink it quickly.

3. Grind size - Make sure the coffee is ground to the proper size for your filter configuration or brew method. If you're grinding at home you may need to play around to get it right.

4. Grind consistancy - Ideally the grind should be as uniform as possible. If it's uneven you will have smaller particles that will release too much bad stuff and larger particles that won't release the good.

Burr grinders are best, and I've found I like to just let the coffee shop do the grinding. They keep things tweaked properly and sharpened. As long as you consume the coffee quickly (< 1 week) there's not that much loss in flavor, assuming you're having a cuppa and not cupping.

Blade grinders are evil, unless you're grinding spices :)

5. Storage - Coffee likes to be sealed up cool, dark and humid. Since you really don't have anywhere in your house like this, just keep it in a sealed container. Don't put it in your freezer.

6. Good beans - Freshly roasted good quality coffee beans really do make a difference. There are a lot of global politics in coffee production. Buying Fair Trade coffee from a specialty roaster isn't just eco-friendly, it will ensure there's good coffee at a reasonable price for the future.

Assuming you hold things as consistant as possible, there's still plenty of tolerance to ensure it comes out great every time. Pay attention to what you're doing and note what works...then do that!

But hey, if you like cheapo coffee made over a camp fire...by all means do what feels good.

-spence

Squid kids Dad
01-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Dont drink much coffee But DD'S does it for me...Especially ice coffee

Pete_G
01-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Guatamalen,Sumatran,too many to list.Go to coffeereview.com it's to coffee what Wine Spectator is to wine.Complete with links for online purchasing.Tres expensive but do indulge!!!

Clearly you've been holding out on your coffee knowledge and experience all these years. We will discuss this further over a few beers in the near future...

Your brother says he's coming down Saturday. Are you game?

Skip N
01-19-2006, 01:46 AM
I like Coffee milk :hidin: Never aquired the taste for real coffee for some reason.

BigFish
01-19-2006, 02:05 AM
Starbucks blows! Just give me the Dunkin Donuts......I drink instant Maxwell House at home and love it! I am a coffee-o-holic....must have it now, just the way I like it, and by the gallon please!:gu:

Yeah....you heard me right! Instant at home!:cool:

Slingah
01-19-2006, 06:55 AM
Starbucks blows! Just give me the Dunkin Donuts......I drink instant Maxwell House at home and love it! I am a coffee-o-holic....must have it now, just the way I like it, and by the gallon please!:gu:

Yeah....you heard me right! Instant at home!:cool:
that swill you drink aint coffee...but if you like it thats cool:laughs:

afterhours
01-19-2006, 07:07 AM
[QUOTE=spence].
But hey, if you like cheapo coffee made over a camp fire...by all means do what feels good.

:rollem: you got a problem with that sweetpea?

spence
01-19-2006, 07:22 AM
[QUOTE=spence]
:rollem: you got a problem with that sweetpea?
Nope, just showing deference to various forms of coffee production honey pie :cputin:

-spence

fishweewee
01-19-2006, 07:59 AM
Some find even the mild Starbucks blends too strong.

I'll drink Starbucks, but truth be told, Dunkin Donuts hazlenut is my fav (and yes you can take it home).

NIB
01-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Quick check premium ground coffe.2 13 once cans for 5 dollars.
Not really a fan of starpuke tried it twice an had to toss it.
Coffe in my perkulator is the best bar none.Hot water is the key to good coffe.Try putting some grings in a sock an pouring some boiling water over it for a nice flavor.

JoeP
01-19-2006, 08:42 AM
That certainly is a major factor.

Jimmy, think of making coffee as an equation with various factors. I'll even (intentionally) over complicate this a bit just to irk PIEMMA ;)

1. Water quality - A commercial machine will have a water filter, so use filtered water at home. Remember coffee is 99.9% water.

2. Proper water temp - Get a machine that brews at the proper temp, there are reviews online that will often indicate this. It's not always a function of price.

Insulated carafes work great, but you do need to pre-heat the carafe before the brew. If the machine has a hot plate, don't let the coffee sit and bake...drink it quickly.

3. Grind size - Make sure the coffee is ground to the proper size for your filter configuration or brew method. If you're grinding at home you may need to play around to get it right.

4. Grind consistancy - Ideally the grind should be as uniform as possible. If it's uneven you will have smaller particles that will release too much bad stuff and larger particles that won't release the good.

Burr grinders are best, and I've found I like to just let the coffee shop do the grinding. They keep things tweaked properly and sharpened. As long as you consume the coffee quickly (< 1 week) there's not that much loss in flavor, assuming you're having a cuppa and not cupping.

Blade grinders are evil, unless you're grinding spices :)

5. Storage - Coffee likes to be sealed up cool, dark and humid. Since you really don't have anywhere in your house like this, just keep it in a sealed container. Don't put it in your freezer.

6. Good beans - Freshly roasted good quality coffee beans really do make a difference. There are a lot of global politics in coffee production. Buying Fair Trade coffee from a specialty roaster isn't just eco-friendly, it will ensure there's good coffee at a reasonable price for the future.

Assuming you hold things as consistant as possible, there's still plenty of tolerance to ensure it comes out great every time. Pay attention to what you're doing and note what works...then do that!

-spence

Spence,

Where do you find the time?

This is easier & faster:

1. Just use water out of your faucet or hose - its getting heated anyway, that will kill all the bacteria...

2. If your machine doesn't produce hot enough coffee just stick the cup in the microwave after its brewed...

3. Grind size & consistency. No problem. Just get some beans, put them in a strong bag like the ones that Storm Shads come in, and beat the hell out of them with a hammer; or if you want to get fancy use a meat tenderizer. Just get good filters that keep the chunks out of your coffee...

4. I store my coffee in the frig'...

5. Only buy beans that come from rain forests that have been slashed & burned. They taste the best are have been "pre-roasted". Don't be fooled by "fair trade". That's a democrat-created misnomer for coffee that costs more. I even think some of the proceeds go to Hillary. I digress.

:rotf3: :rotf3:

You know I'm just kidding of course. I like a good cup of coffee as much as anybody. Do what Spence said...

RIROCKHOUND
01-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Spence;
Never ever look at my office coffee pot or coffee mugs again, if you do you may never talk to me again...
If you read JoeP's thread above, thats basically what I do.. I make a pot in the morning then mircowave it during the day when I need a cup... no milk or sugar, oh and I rarely wash my mug....

Oh and unless someone gives me a bag of good coffee, I generally use whatever coffee is on sale

Saltheart
01-19-2006, 09:10 AM
I drink 90% Dunkin Donuts. for gourmet stuff i brew at home I like two kinds. Hawaian Kona and jamaica Blue Mountain. I have the beans fedexed to me directly from the source both in hawai and jamaica. I pretty much have decided that i would prefer two bags of kona to one bag of blue Mountain (Blue mountain is like $40 a pound while i get the Kona for about $17 delivered)

the big trick with very expensive coffee is don't scrimp to save money. If you spend $40 a pound for coffee , don't use less , use an extra scoop if anything. If you are going to splurge on good coffee , go for it whole hog.

bottom line is that I can do without all the fancy stuff if I have to but if they close Dunkin Donuts , I'll cry every morning forever.

spence
01-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Spence;
Never ever look at my office coffee pot or coffee mugs again, if you do you may never talk to me again...
If you read JoeP's thread above, thats basically what I do.. I make a pot in the morning then mircowave it during the day when I need a cup... no milk or sugar, oh and I rarely wash my mug....

Thanks for reminding me...I completely forgot about cleaning!!!

7. Every month, white vinegar works well but CleanCaf works even better...

:wiggle:

-spence

spence
01-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Where do you find the time?
Seriously? My wife does it every morning :hihi:

-specne

NIB
01-19-2006, 10:04 PM
She does all that before coffe??

spence
01-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Yup, right before she starts yelling at me for the day.

-spence

paolo LI
01-20-2006, 05:49 PM
I quit smoking.... I'm drug free( well outside of medicinal). I don't drink as much anymore but I am addicted to 7 11 French Vanilla.
20 oz.:drool:

cheferson
01-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Go to coffeereview.com it's to coffee what Wine Spectator is to wine.

#%$ starbucks after trying some of these

Sea Dangles
01-21-2006, 06:37 PM
#%$ starbucks after trying some of these
Glad you enjoyed Chef,Italian Verona has been my all time fave.Spence had some good tips but I would like to add that if you put cold tap water in the reservoir the night before,all the chlorine will disapate and you'll get a better cup.NEVER use hot tap water to start.

ProfessorM
01-21-2006, 07:05 PM
When I did drink coffee I liked Kona by far. Been to the Blue mountains and it is very good but I like the Kona because it is so smooth and mild. Not the blend crap they sell as Kona. Pure Peaberry, whole bean, Kona. I will say one thing though it taste's way better when you are on the Big Island drinking it. This place I have toured personally http://www.konalea.com/ and if you are looking for authentic 100% pure Kona I would buy it here. They grow and roast it themselves.Small operation. The whole Kona operation is small. It is only a 7 mile by 15 or so mile wide area on the side of the Volcano that grows all the Kona coffee. That is why it is so expensive. I did notice it has gotten more expensive. I usually order it for the wife for x-mas. Sorry for the long winded version but I was born in Hawaii and love to think about it. :) P.

cheferson
01-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Damn $32 a lb!!!

ProfessorM
01-21-2006, 07:20 PM
You want the best you got to pay the big bucks. That is why I drink tea now. At least you know it is the real thing. You could always go there and get it. It would be cheaper.:)

Backbeach Jake
01-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Cripes, now we have Van Stall coffee!:hs:

spence
01-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Spence had some good tips but I would like to add that if you put cold tap water in the reservoir the night before,all the chlorine will disapate and you'll get a better cup.NEVER use hot tap water to start.
You really shouldn't use hot tap water for anything besides showers and washing pots...

Hot water contains more bad stuff that cold.

-spence

01-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Consider yourself lucky you can probably hit a good coffee shop with a stone throw. Down this way there are no Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, or any other chains within 60-miles......

Bigcat
01-22-2006, 11:44 AM
illy Italian espresso brewed in my machine:cheers:

Saltheart
01-22-2006, 01:53 PM
100 Kona peaberry for $23 per pound delivered.

http://www.fikefarms.com/

Sea Dangles
01-22-2006, 07:35 PM
I've been wanting to try Illy.Does it come whole bean?

spence
01-23-2006, 08:19 AM
I've been wanting to try Illy.Does it come whole bean?
Yea, but I think you'll find it pretty boring for regular coffee. Makes a decent espresso, but as it's not fresh you get limited crema.

-spence

cheferson
01-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Whats crema?

spence
01-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Whats crema?
Short answer = the creamy stuff on top.

Long answer = In a properly made espresso there is a dark brown film about 1/4" or so thick on top made air bubbles held in suspension. For it to be created, there must be a lot of surface tension from proper oil extraction.

It's what gives espresso it's mouthfeel, it's body.

Unfortunately the majority of espresso you will get in coffee shops has little unless they really know what they are doing.

-spence

RIROCKHOUND
01-23-2006, 08:50 AM
God you are a yuppie... :smash:
I just finished my cumberland farms green mtn blend... it tasted good to me, and I filled my mug for under a buck! :kewl:

shadow
01-23-2006, 09:44 AM
when I want a hotter cup of coffee I 'll warm up the milk first.