View Full Version : Finish question

jnski
01-19-2006, 09:02 AM
I have a question for all you exceptional finish guys.
As I have said before, I use rattle cans, haven't graduated to a spray gun yet, but overall I am pretty happy the way my paint jobs come out.(of course the fishingfreak posts somthing a few weeks ago about spraying with cans and humbles us all!).
One paint in particular, rustoleum blue metallic has been giving me finish problems. Epoxy is wavy on it when it cures. No other paints that I use have done this. Not a big deal, it's coated, protected, etc. but annoying nonetheless. I have scuffed it and cleaned it, so it's not a contamination problem, I always were gloves to avoid that. Just wondering if there is something else I can do that you guys know about.
Thanks.

UserRemoved1
01-19-2006, 09:16 AM
jnski, metallics contain aluminum particles suspended in the pigment. It is very difficult to get a coat of paint to stick to aluminum. The aluminum outgasses or "fluoresces" and effectively "lifts" the coating off. There are some metallics in the industry that do not do this. The trick is finding them. Painting over silver is even worse due to the amount and size of particles.

jnski
01-19-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks Scott. That is very understandable, with the aluminum particles, however, no other metallics that I have used have caused the epoxy to become wavy, just this particular blue. Love the color too. Gives a nice color and depth to the plug. Maybe some type of spray clearcoat? I did have problems with that too so I abandoned that, it made some of the paints run, even paint that was dry for days, nightmarish stuff. I have heard of some guys using a spray fixative to cover signatures before applying epoxy, anyone know if a plug could be completely covered with this before epoxy ? Just looking for options before I search for another color to replace the one I like.

spence
01-19-2006, 09:36 AM
I seem to remember having a similar issue with the same metallic blue...although it seemed to not be as bad if I let the coat dry for several days...

-spene

UserRemoved1
01-19-2006, 09:52 AM
John remember not all colors are made in the same plants etc, so it could be a different mix etc. Different colors can be incompatible in spray cans due to the forumulation. From what Spence says I bet it's still flashing off. Try a thinner coat if you can and let it dry longer. Or you could do a clear over it but still make sure it's dry before you finish it otherwise you may still have problems. I seem to remember there are some colors of Rustoleum that can't be used together too. You don't see this as much with lacquers such as Krylon etc.

thefishingfreak
01-19-2006, 10:20 AM
try to find flat colors. some gloss colors have a fisheye eliminator in them, so they look pretty, but nuthing will stick on top of them.

justplugit
01-19-2006, 03:44 PM
I've had the same problem with the acrylic metallics. Sounds like it's the aluminum particles causing the problems.

tper
01-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Boy o Boy is this my nightmare --- I am living this now -- Next attempt is to do very light finish coats --- let dry 30 minutes before the next... had 2 lures just blister, let rattle paint dry 1 week before sealing with envirotex -- did not matter .. :( Hey live and learn

striperondafly
01-19-2006, 08:39 PM
tper - Im a few steps behind you - my first plug I had painted, ready to be sealed when I thought Ill add some black on the top

well the spray can wasnt pointed where I thought it was and major fubar.

Sanded & started over. Like you said, live & learn.

I have 6 plugs sealed & ready to prime on Sat afternoon.

When I'm done Ill post some pics.

Best of luck - and enjoy the learning.

Brian

jnski
01-19-2006, 10:35 PM
alrighty then guys. Got some fixativ at Michaels. Going to give that a try.
works well covering your signature so it won't run when you apply epoxy as far as I can tell, and on the suggestion of a fellow builder on "the other" site. I'm going to paint some scrap wood, paint the color I'm having trouble with, fixativ over it and epoxy over that . I'll follow up and post my results.
Oh...Michaels Crafts....for those of you that use the foam applicator brushes to apply epoxy like I do, They are on sale, 20 for $1. Had my wife pick up 100 for me today:btu: not sure how long they are on sale though.

stripercrazy
01-19-2006, 11:32 PM
I've sprayed clear on paint jobs too and its run the paint:wall: I've used my air brush 2 times and its great, I don't know anything about airbrushes the only difference from cans to a airbrush to me is the brush will spray a light coat of paint. you guys know alot more about paint. thanks for posting:thanks: