View Full Version : Need Mussel Recipes

zacs
01-20-2006, 02:50 PM
As some of you may know, i am a fishmonger by trade. I am doing a presentation with some customers next week, and I need some real good mussel recipies. I have searched the web, consulted my recipe books, but the best recipies always seem to be personal reccomendations.

Thanks for you help

Zac

Saltheart
01-20-2006, 02:57 PM
http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/searchResults?searchString=mussels&site=FOOD&searchType=Recipe

233 recipes there

choggieman
01-20-2006, 03:08 PM
saute onions and gahlic in olive oil until tender, dump in 1 cup white wine and reduce by half, the add jar of your favorite marinara and cook for 10 mins. Toss in mussells and gently cook till mussles open. Optional few red pepper flakes or even some fresh fennel sauteed with the onions.

Krispy
01-20-2006, 03:09 PM
Zacs, any recomendations on where to gather mussels? :drool:

zacs
01-20-2006, 03:15 PM
Sorry krispy, i just sell 'em.

Saltheart, believe me, I have searched everywhere. I need some personal advice from my friends. I would trust a recipe you gave me far more than one i just randomly pulled off the web.

Zac

cheferson
01-20-2006, 03:29 PM
My favorite is to steam them with some w.wine, garlic, basil leaves, dice tomatoe, then dip them in melted butter that was melted w/shredded basil in it. :cheers: Mussels brittany is killer too- par-cook them in some w.wine/garlic till they open, quickly cool. Take some softened butter , chopped parley, little lemon juice, chopped garlic, s+p and toss in food processer until mixed. Halve the mussels and fill the shell w/the butter mixture (mussel on bottom) and top w/japanimation crumbs (mix a lil melted butter s+p w/crumbs prior) then broil or cook in oven at 350 till brown. Mussels steamed in coconut milk, ginger, cilantro and either red or green thai curry is also good.

Nebe
01-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Zacs, any recomendations on where to gather mussels? :drool:

you serious???

if so i'll steer you to my beds. plenty for all.

zacs
01-20-2006, 03:36 PM
now we're talkin'. and chef, i haven't forgotten your plug, just been very busy.
:soon:

cheferson
01-20-2006, 03:38 PM
No worries bro, if you have any questions or anything feel free to pm. Also wild mussels flavor is 10x better then farmraised, and also make sure to de-beard the black clam before cooking.

The Dad Fisherman
01-20-2006, 03:44 PM
My favorite is to steam them with some w.wine, garlic, basil leaves, dice tomatoe, then dip them in melted butter that was melted w/shredded basil in it. :cheers:

Bingo...the BEST way to have them IMHO......Now I want some for supper

cheferson
01-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Oh yeah, your probally better of using a good canned tomatoe for the diced the the watered cardboard that is available now. Altu cuchina sp? brand is my fav

Nebe
01-20-2006, 04:14 PM
also make sure to de-beard the black clam before cooking. :hihi:

bart
01-20-2006, 04:24 PM
:laughs:

Backbeach Jake
01-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Bag o mussels
white wine
little water
linguica
clove or two chopped garlic
sliced onion
bay leaf
pepper corns
French or Italian bread
butter and juice for dipping
The wife and I do this one all the time.:jump1:

cheferson
01-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Suprised spence hasnt chimed in with some of his culinary wizardry yet.

zacs
01-20-2006, 05:13 PM
maybe spence doesn't lower himself to the lowly mussel. Fanny Bay Oysters and Maine Diver Scallops for him!:laughs: ;)

Nebe
01-20-2006, 05:23 PM
im an oyster man myself, but i do what backbeach jake does.. gotta have that linguica in there.

cheferson
01-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Ever tried sakkonet oysters eben??:drool: Taste and cup shape are amazing. American mussel harvesters has by far the best selection of oysters, must have over 50 varities, not too far down the road either.

spence
01-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Suprised spence hasnt chimed in with some of his culinary wizardry yet.
:hee:

Plenty of good advice already...to be honest my wife hates mussles so I never get to cook the little buggers...though I love them.

Agree with Chef 100% on the tomato issue. To be honest, I rarely buy fresh tomatoes anymore...even the vine ripened ones are usually mealy and flavorless...all for 4+ bucks a pound :nailem:

Sometimes the smaller campari tomatoes can be decent, but it's a crap shoot.

Good garden tomatoes should be eaten raw, everything else I use is canned or packaged. I really love the San Marzano DOP tomatoes from Camapagna, nothing else even comes close.

But being that Zacs works in New Bedford, hop on over to Sid Wainer and pick up some Pomi tomatoes in the boxes.

-spence

zacs
01-20-2006, 06:41 PM
i dont work in NB anymore. i work out of my house in EG now. But I may go there anyway, love that place!

spence
01-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Zacs, no need...just swing by Tiverton.

I've got a food pantry that's nearly as big as my plug stash :wiggle: :humpty: :laugha:

-spence

chipwood
01-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Quonset Point Oysters. Try 'em.

Nebe
01-20-2006, 07:04 PM
well my buds work at Moonstone oysters here in town so i eat those :uhuh:

gimme a dozen with the normal acutrements. :drool:

Backbeach Jake
01-21-2006, 06:38 AM
MMM Oysters! Gotta be Wellfleet oysters tho. Spence, I haven't had a decent store-bought tomato in years. The few garden tomatos I've scored have been a real treasure. My Dad treated the first garden grown tomato of the season as a Holy icon.:drool: