View Full Version : Cabela's

ProfessorM
01-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Was watching the NECN news and heard that Cabela's is trying to or did buy land in Plainville, MA. for a new store. Guess with Bass Pro going to open up in Foxboro the location is close by to spur competition. The story was about the Conn. store that Cabels's is doing and if the Plainville store would eliminate the need for the Conn. store. I guess they are going to do both stores. Paul

kippy
01-26-2006, 12:07 PM
wonderful, i dont think plainville can support the traffic:hs:

lurch
01-26-2006, 12:11 PM
Just look at it this way, Cabelas will be paying a good portion of the tax bill. It does not mean that you will have lesser taxes but it will keep your rate from increasing for a short period of time.

The Dad Fisherman
01-26-2006, 12:20 PM
I had heard that Cabelas was going to be building up in Manchester NH

Rockport24
01-26-2006, 12:45 PM
there was an article in the globe about it yesterday, apparently Cabela's in looking for infrastructure help from the state to build the store. I think the story is they were originally looking at building in New Hampshire, but the news about Bass Pro Shops coming to Foxboro changed their minds, as it should, I mean, this is bassachusetts.
you guys think that since these shops are coming to mass, that they will have bigger saltwater sections? Maybe they can make a wave pool and stock it with stripers? LOL

TwitchellCreek
01-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I read this on boston.com. I believe the location where they plan to build is near or in Plainville Crossing, which is a new shopping center that already has a Target, Panera Bread, and Ann & Hope (or something like that). That would put a Bass Pro and Cabelas within 5 miles of my house.

I wonder if these national boys are going to promote the local flavors in their offerings?

Slingah
01-26-2006, 01:12 PM
just what we need...another big store:yak4:

Raider Ronnie
01-26-2006, 05:51 PM
That would put a Bass Pro and Cabelas within 5 miles of my house.

Me too !!!

afterhours
01-26-2006, 06:03 PM
eff them... support your local shops. they are directly responsible for closing down the little guys. seen it happen in all sorts of businesses.

Raider Ronnie
01-26-2006, 06:14 PM
eff them... support your local shops. they are directly responsible for closing down the little guys. seen it happen in all sorts of businesses.

I agree !!!
It's not like your going to go there and have a custon rod built or be able to to pick up a fresh tote of bait there!!!

mikecc
01-26-2006, 06:38 PM
After being a dealer for Bass Pro for 13 years I will tell you to deal with
Cabelas the quality is mush better.Of course I'd rather you deal with your local shop but it's up to you.

Raven
01-26-2006, 06:49 PM
a block - from the crossing....a long time ago...

anyways i have written (e-mailed) both bass pro shops and cabelas
corporate office requesting that their lawyers consider helping out with access issues and representing the rights of fishermen.....
instead of just representing their company. What good is unlimmited supplies of fishing gear if groups like PETA are trying to make fishing illegal or the Nomby's (not on my beach yahoos) preventing access.

gone fishin
01-26-2006, 08:07 PM
Mike - I agree with you! The little I do with both companies consists of clothing and stuff like that. Deal with the local shops and you can get advise and also backing of product that you will never see with either of the giants.

I would like to see someone run into Cabellas and get a broken tip replaced when the run is hot!! Or knowledgable advise on a reel or other equipment.:bl:

Pete_G
01-26-2006, 08:09 PM
there was an article in the globe about it yesterday, apparently Cabela's in looking for infrastructure help from the state to build the store.

Build your own roads Cabelas, clearly you have the money. Small shops (not just tackle shops) are fading away thanks to companies like this that want tax breaks and infrastructure support. Nothing better then seeing your tax dollars pay for something that hurts you. :mad:

dickmont
01-27-2006, 08:57 AM
pete, both you and don have got it exactly right. they are just a smaller version of the wallmart plague. what will you give me to run some of your local businesses out of town seems to be their basic approach.

HESH2
01-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Cabela's stores are just like wal-mart.been to the one in dundee,michigan.like 6 million visiters a year.motels built arround it,along comes all you food outlets arround it,becomes like a mini town.also bass pro shop in michigan same thing.all stores real close to major highways .

chris L
01-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I wish they would stay away . if I want something they sell I get it through the mail with no tax to the state .
guarrenteed to put some shops out of business . wich is the worst thing that could happen . sports authority did it already .

Saltheart
01-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Right down the road in North Attlebor they are going nuts. Just put in a #^&#^&#^&#^&s sporting good. About 3 minutes down the road , they just built a new Modell's (?sp).. they are both within 2 minutes of where both Sports Authority and MVP sports went belly up!! Go figure??

Raven
01-27-2006, 10:51 AM
whats is modells (sp) ...? i'm assuming: a fishing gear store?

and chris ? you could still order from down south - correct?

Mr. Sandman
01-27-2006, 11:09 AM
I don't know...I like Cabela's (but do it all online, never been to a store). They carry gear that the local shop does not and will not carry. I drop plenty with the local guys, that is not the issue.
The nice thing about why I shop at the local shops are THE PEOPLE and the local knowledge you can get from them.
IMO while I hate wallmart...really dislike the whole wallmart idea, the aim of business is to TAKE market share away from the other guy if you can. They are successful at this.
Do you like HomeDepot? They put millions of local hardware stores out of business. (That said, I prefer homedepot because there is nothing worse then going to a local hardware store to find they do not have what you need and you then have to go across town to find it elsewhere....Bigger is better in some cases, this is why the internet is so successfull, you can find what you need and buy it without leaving your home ) One could argue the same thing with fishing shops too....BUT just try and get where the bite is happening from a guy working in a wallmart or from an internet site....yeah you saved 50 cents and got free shipping but you spent all day looking for fish you didn't catch while the guy who dropped a few bucks at the local shop got the dump on where the bite is. I can't tell you how many times local infor I got that morning turned a good day into a GREAT day on the water.

Saltheart
01-27-2006, 11:11 AM
Modell's is some generic sporting goods store , like #^&#^&#^&#^&'s , etc. i never heard of it before but they are building a big one on Rt 1 near the BJ's

Mr. Sandman
01-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Modells has been big in NY (Long Island) for many years...It appears to be expanding north like a wallmart-cancer.

kippy
01-27-2006, 12:12 PM
I read this on boston.com. I believe the location where they plan to build is near or in Plainville Crossing, which is a new shopping center that already has a Target, Panera Bread, and Ann & Hope (or something like that). That would put a Bass Pro and Cabelas within 5 miles of my house.

I wonder if these national boys are going to promote the local flavors in their offerings?

I live 5 minutes from that plaza. If they build the cableas over there it will be right near the ramps for the highway. Not looking forward to the traffic down there! :yak6:

chris L
01-27-2006, 12:55 PM
whats is modells (sp) ...? i'm assuming: a fishing gear store?

and chris ? you could still order from down south - correct?
modells is a sporting goods store from New York . I order from them now but wont shop at the store . I wont be part of the the down fall of our local shops . There aint no bait in them stores . When sports authority came to town , I asked the sales clerk if I could get a 1/2 dozen bunker and a dozen eels . the guy looked at me like I was from another planet ( I am ) . " we dont sell that " so I asked him why they came to town and put the local shop out of business .

Raven
01-27-2006, 12:56 PM
I live 5 minutes from that plaza. If they build the cableas over there it will be right near the ramps for the highway. Not looking forward to the traffic down there! :yak6:

true.... unless you had a job there....:devil2:

rivsie11
01-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Article here:

http://www.boston.com/realestate/news/articles/2006/01/25/new_role_for_krafts_developers/

Rockport24
01-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Raven makes an interesting devil's advocate point. I am not for these big stores either, but the truth is they create a lot of jobs. Problem with that is, the poor shop owner that gets put out of business has to go from running his own shop to maybe working at one of these places.

I am a big fan of internet shopping, but once I bought a rod from the internet, then when to Surfland and realized they had the same rod for the same price I paid including shipping, I felt like a jerk. Now I check the local guys first.

RIJIMMY
01-27-2006, 02:33 PM
This is nuts, I heard an LL Bean and a bunch of other stuff is slated to be developed in Mansfield, near the 495 ramp.
The outdoors is becomng too yuppie!

beamie
01-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Let's face it.

In today's day and age where most of us on this board are I assume middle wage earners etc. are always looking for a deal. Esp, now with gas and oil so high. I support my local tackle shop (Belsans)quite a bit. But I don't buy "everything" there. I buy online and if I am walking thru Wally world I can't resist buying a few packs of storm shads.

I would love to only support local shops not just tackle, but hardware and what ever else. But the truth is most need to buckle done on expenses. Why pay $6 for a pack of light bulbs at the local if cheapo has them for $2.98 in bulk.

Like Sandman said about getting everything. Last year while doing a project I went to the local hardware becasuse it is closer than home cheapo. Well I had to go to HD anyway because I couldn't get everything at the local.

spence
01-27-2006, 02:48 PM
The outdoors is becomng too yuppie!
NEVER !

-spence

RIROCKHOUND
01-27-2006, 02:52 PM
NEVER !

-spence

RIJ;
That happened the first time Spence strapped on his Korkers and madea cast........

RIJIMMY
01-27-2006, 03:11 PM
Spence, the Bass Pro will have a restaurant too!

NOLUCK
01-27-2006, 06:49 PM
:behead: Was watching the NECN news and heard that Cabela's is trying to or did buy land in Plainville, MA. for a new store. Guess with Bass Pro going to open up in Foxboro the location is close by to spur competition. The story was about the Conn. store that Cabels's is doing and if the Plainville store would eliminate the need for the Conn. store. I guess they are going to do both stores. Paul
The last i heard it was to be Hooksett New Hampshire,site study supposed to be done

splshnplug
01-27-2006, 06:54 PM
lets help are local tackle shops make a living. they've been helping us for years

Raven
01-27-2006, 07:04 PM
The last i heard it was to be Hooksett New Hampshire,site study supposed to be done

sure sounds like a pun to me....:rotf2:

basswipe
01-27-2006, 07:07 PM
:behead:

Hooksett is right off 93 over the border.Not that far even for a road trip from RI.Obvisiously Cabelas is doing their homework.

pmueller
01-31-2006, 12:41 PM
This Cabela's thing is something else. I just got back from seeing an old friend that lives in NH. Apparently Cabela's is serious about a spot in NH. Very atttactive to them, on the way to north country hunting, and nto too far from SW Fishing.
Cabela's seems to be entertaining a number of sites, or they'll be like Wal Mart and have one in each state.

pmueller
01-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Did not see the previous post. Same info.

Striperknight
01-31-2006, 02:06 PM
The Cabelas in PA is the number 1 tourist attraction in PA.
The dead town that was there is springing to life. Fast food and other retail are moving in by it.

pmueller
01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Thats along the same lines that my friend metioned. The town of Hookset got calls from the Marriott corp letting them know that there will be interest in hotels in the area, resturaunts Yada yada. Along with helping the town with improving services like wastemanagement. A no brainer to the folks up there.
Of course the state will love it, the exit will be just after the first toll booth.