View Full Version : fishing line help

taJon
01-27-2006, 06:52 PM
which superbraid does everyone perfer.

Spectra Pro , fireline, superbraid, etc........

quick decision
01-27-2006, 07:03 PM
None of them does everything perfect. It depends on 1. type of reel, 2. type of fishing. 3. budget.

BigBo
01-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Fireline or Cortland Spectron.

seabass
01-27-2006, 08:18 PM
FIRELINE!

blue oyster
01-27-2006, 09:32 PM
power pro with a segar florocarbon leaders:btu:

beamie
01-28-2006, 07:06 AM
For my cod gear I use the Cortland Spectron. My bass rods have Gudebrod SST which I have used for a long time. I do have some Berkley whiplash left over and now have a big spool of 50 pound PP. I think they are all basically the same, very small differences. As others have said some of it has to do with the reel type and model.

The Cortland Spectron seems to have a bigger diameter and lasts longer with the constant jigging of big jigs....although on days when the current is ripping in 300 feet of water the guy using the thinner product will hold bottom a little long than the bigger dia.

quick decision
01-28-2006, 07:29 AM
Beamie. Do you use dacron under the braid? That can be expensive.

taJon
01-28-2006, 08:43 AM
I was hoping to use it on everything. Couple of spin rods and two levelwinds.

beamie
01-28-2006, 11:06 AM
QD,

Absolutely. On the cod rods it is mostly dacron backing. Then 150 yds of braid. All the rods I use braid on have some sort of backing and only enough braid to fish with. Boy if you went braid all the way it would suuuurely be expensive.

Van
01-28-2006, 12:10 PM
I've been using PP on both spin and conventional reels no problems with either. But I have not used the other brands so I don't have a comparison.

macojoe
01-28-2006, 12:26 PM
I like FireLine and Siderwire Stealth, always with a dacron backing!!

taJon
01-29-2006, 09:51 AM
I used to use spiderwire, but I'm just so tired of the 125 - 150' lengths. Maybe if they sold it in bulk, I wouldn't be changing. I think I'm going to try some fireline this year.

Raider Ronnie
01-29-2006, 11:48 AM
QD,

Absolutely. On the cod rods it is mostly dacron backing. Then 150 yds of braid. All the rods I use braid on have some sort of backing and only enough braid to fish with. Boy if you went braid all the way it would suuuurely be expensive.

Too much braid is not only expensive,
Having too much on the spool is a pain in the but because if you really pull on it, it just buries into it's self

I use green power pro and have some cod reels spooled with (yellow)Stren super braid

Swimmer
01-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Power Pro so far...........:lasso:

taJon
01-29-2006, 04:26 PM
does the color actually matter for all fish. I know tuna supposedly have great vision and stripers too, but what do you think?

taJon
01-29-2006, 04:28 PM
if I use mono as backing on my spinning reels, what lb. line should I use.

I'm planning on using 30lb on two reels and maybe 50lb on the others

thefishingfreak
01-29-2006, 04:30 PM
powerpro i think it's 62# test or something like that. comes in a big spool for about 80 bucks i love it. stripers., cod, everything..
only mono i use is on the big stuff. everything else is braid.

taJon
02-04-2006, 04:58 PM
so what lb test for the backing? does it matter, hopefully you won't be down to it anyhow.

Squid kids Dad
02-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Power pro for me...No problems

Bob Senior
02-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Me too; spin, conventional, baitcast, with Big Game backing, usually 30#.

Fisherwoman
02-05-2006, 11:08 AM
taJon, On our light spinning rods 7-8 ft, we use 30 lb power pro with 10 - 12 lb test berkly big game backing.

On Bill's light Baitcasting 8 ft with a calcutta 400, all cod rods, all bass rods, spinning and conv, we use 50 lb test with 15 -20 lb berkly big game backing.

Tie the lines together using a uni-uni knot and they will stay together perfecty, have never had a line part not even on Nice size false albacore on light tackle. If you use a snap swivel or direct tie on your lure us a palomar not and you will be good to go.

also , we only do a few wraps of mono and fill the spool with Power Pro, Yes it is expensive, but if we need to fix the line cause it is getting a little worn, we just reverse the line onto another reel that way the good stuff is in the front. Buy Bulk it is much cheaper!!!!!

taJon
02-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Fisherwoman, great idea on reversing the line!!!!!!

i don't think I ever would have thought of that. Heres a couple more ?s

1. What method do you use when spooling the line for the first time. Is the line wet?

2. how do you put the tension on it without ruining some of the coatings?

3. how do you measure the amount of line on the reel?

thanks alot
Jon

Pete_G
02-05-2006, 10:45 PM
On lighter spinning reels I'm a big fan of Fireline. 5000 and under Shimanos just love 14# Fireline which breaks at a # test MUCH higher then it is rated. For big spinning reels, I think Power Pro is better, except that I think Fireline is better then Power Pro in the rocks.

As for the coatings on both lines, I can't wait for them to fall off. Both work better for me once they're broken in. Light grey Fireline is the best. I also wouldn't worry about wetting the line, I've spooled up conservatively a few hundred thousand yards of braid and I've never bothered.

I'm also with Fisherwoman on the uni to uni, it's a great knot. Some instructions will tell you it's only for similar diameter lines, I find it work great even for very different diameters. As a general rule, less turns on the thicker diameter, and more on the thinner.

Fisherwoman
02-06-2006, 10:16 AM
taJon,

You can questimate the amount of line you have put on the reel based on the diameter of the line and what the reel is rated for on the side. Unless you have a line counter when putting it on your all set then. I feel our reels to 1/8 of an inch of the lip on the spool.

Pete G is right about the coating it all wears off after time, and he is right on about Fire line, I used 14 lb test many many years on my light tackle stella 4000, but went to PP because there is not a whole lot of difference when you get used to using it. Although I did think I got a little more distance in casting with the FL but nothing major.

Another thing that will make the line lose its coating faster is the type of guides on the rods, if you have soft or plastic guides it will wear faster. If you have hard or sic guides it wears slower and does not make the line frey like fire line used too. although I know they have changed alot of those problems with fireline when it 1st came out.

SPooling on with help from another person holding the spool with a pensil in the middle and adding a little tension will work just fine. I use a dish rag to hold the line as it gets hot quick, does't take much of the caoting off. The other way is to take it to your local tackle shop and have them spool it on for you, Depending on the type of reel you use it will definatly pack better on the spool with a maching filling.

No Water needed as it is not a line that will pack tighter with water. It does not absorb water.

taJon
02-06-2006, 04:53 PM
What size fish were you bringing in with the 14 lb line? 20 lbs, 30 lbs +?

Is it true that the line actually breaks at 1.5 times the amount listed in the rating? because its not actually IFGA certified, or is it?

quick decision
02-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Set your drag on your reel 25% of the breaking strength. Now its all up to your skilz!

Fisherwoman
02-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Never had any braid break on a fish yet. Been cut off on the rocks but never broken line issues.

Pete_G
02-07-2006, 10:33 AM
What size fish were you bringing in with the 14 lb line? 20 lbs, 30 lbs +?

Is it true that the line actually breaks at 1.5 times the amount listed in the rating? because its not actually IFGA certified, or is it?

We've got a couple tuna around 40#'s on it as well as bass over 40 on light tackle gear. I've heard of people testing 14# Fireline and finding breaking strength in the upper 20's to low 30's. Strong stuff. I'd have to check IGFA rules, it could be that the leader is what your "line class" is when using strong braids, but I really have no idea.