View Full Version : Two Pinchney danny profiles

steelhead
01-27-2006, 07:48 PM
I managed to get my hands on these a while ago. Just turned bodies "to match"... Bottom one isn't dead on. Have to do that one again. Remember reading on Bassdozer's site that there was a reason for the two different profiles. Can't remember what it is....

Dimensions: Front and back the same on both plugs: 15/16" nose, 11/16" tail. The top one is 6" long, shoulder centered on the plug and is 1 1/4" thick. Bottom one is 5 3/4" long, shoulder is 1 1/8" and is
3 1/2" back from the nose.

Top plug has weight centered at 3". The bottom one doesn't appear to be weighted.

Both weigh 2 ounces, so the bottom one must be made of slightly denser wood.

numbskull
01-27-2006, 08:53 PM
From reading the same bassdozer article, I think the bottom plug was called a "bootleg" because it was a copy of a successful Musso shape. It may also have been made of maple. It sounds as if there was a maple Musso swimmer, so perhaps Pinchney copied it. I've never made a maple swimmer (other than an eel), but maybe it is worth a try.

numbskull
01-27-2006, 08:57 PM
It's also appears that the back hook is slightly more forward on the bottom plug. Is that correct and can you see a wt hole? Where is it in relation to regular Danny? Thanks.

numbskull
01-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Duh. I just reread your original post and answered my own question. Brilliant.

numbskull
01-27-2006, 09:03 PM
One more question (you can tell I'm excited), are the lips similar, or does the bottom plug have a higher wire position? I'll shut up now.

Nebe
01-27-2006, 09:23 PM
I have a hunch that the different profiles are for casting. the one with the widest part twards the rear is a better caster.

nice stuff :D

steelhead
01-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Lips are identical... Check your PM's ....

steelhead
01-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Funny how sometimes you don't see what's right in front of you.
Was cutting lip slots in the two pieces I turned yesterday and discovered that the plug with the shoulder set to the back of the plug has a high slot for the thru wire and the slot is cut slightly above center. The other one has a low lip slot and teh slot is cut on the centerline of the plug. I'll post picture as soon as the camera battery recharges....

Also, the dimension at the front of the rear shouldered plug is 7/8", not 15/16" (The green and white plug).

numbskull
01-28-2006, 09:38 AM
This is real helpful. Thanks.

steelhead
01-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Got some Pinchney conrads and slope nose plugs I could post specs on as well....

numbskull
01-28-2006, 01:46 PM
I'd be very interested. Maybe you can bring them to the plugfest. Could you also please post or PM me the placement of the hook holes on the bottom plug? I appreciate your help.

steelhead
01-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Numbskull, I'll bring them with me.... Want me to post pics and dimensions in the meantime?

Was thinkng that I hadn't posted hook placement. I'll do that this evening. Got to get to the Honey Do list for the rest of the afternoon :-)

steelhead
01-28-2006, 06:13 PM
The front view shows the low thru wire slot on the plug with the shoulder centered. The high thru wire slot on the plug with the shoulder set back. This one the lip slot is cut slightly above center.

Dimensions for hooks. All dimensions fron the front of the body.

Shoulder centered plug: 1 1/4", 4 1/8"
rear set shoulder: 1 1/4", 3 3/4"