View Full Version : Question about Masterlure jointed eels

ThrowingTimber
01-27-2006, 09:14 PM
I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out where they got those swivels? It's a barrel swivel's body, but they tapped it and removed the top and bottom portions of the swivel. So they just had the barrel.
When they tapped it that created a place for the through wire to go through the center of the barrel. But here's the kicker, before through wiring, they slipped a length of wire out of the bottom where the hook holding swivel went, this wire was peened the same as the lower portion of the swivels head, they then created a loop, slid the hook on, they then wrapped the hook hanger. They then pused it into place and ran the through wire...

DAYYYum! :shocked: Anyone have a source for these?? I know highly unlikely, I can tap the barrels myself, but any idea how I can peen the top of the wire I would then insert to create the hanger? Trying to stay to specs on these bad boys :vamp: But I had nightmares of hooks popping right off the swivels :poke:

Nebe
01-27-2006, 09:21 PM
you gotta post a pic of that thing.

MAC
01-27-2006, 09:40 PM
???? Not on the ones I have. They just used cheap swivels (the ones with twisted wire ) and cut off one side. They then drilled the barrel of the swivel.

thefishingfreak
01-27-2006, 09:53 PM
i showed you at plugbash in my bassmaster needle. :think:
take a 3 way and cut two off. thru wire thru the other two.

pops
01-28-2006, 12:48 AM
it looks like an old barrel swivel cut in two and the barrel drilled....

thefishingfreak
01-28-2006, 11:58 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/DSC035301.jpg

something like this??

Canalman
01-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Sheesh! Lets see the whole plug... I've seen the nostrils and the guts... what's she look like???

stripercrazy
01-28-2006, 08:46 PM
the hook's not cut, the swevel had to be built with the hook, vic the only way I can think that they did it would be the top hole in the barrel part,has to be bigger. with a tab at the end of your wire run it down the larger top hole(so the tab fits) down thru the smaller hole on the bottom, wrap the loop with hook. then run your thru wire thru the drilled hole in the middle of the barrel. is the top hole bigger? I didn't look. ed

stripercrazy
01-28-2006, 08:51 PM
no it looked just link a barrel swivel with the top loop cut off (just the bottom loop) and the barrel part was drilled for a hole to thru wire thru it. and the bottom loop was wraped(like a tail rap)with a uncut hook

thefishingfreak
01-28-2006, 08:54 PM
just an idea i had to make a low profile/strong swivel.
not sure what he's up to but i wanna see:huh:
spill da beans vic.

stripercrazy
01-28-2006, 09:01 PM
you can't see it but there a hole drilled thru the barrel body.:pop:

MAC
01-28-2006, 09:16 PM
here is the same idea of what they used.

thefishingfreak
01-28-2006, 09:26 PM
make your own hook hanger.
nuthing wrong with improving on and old design.
whats the life expectancy of any given swivel?

pops
01-28-2006, 09:28 PM
they cut the top 1/3rd off the swivel then drilled a small hole in the body to allow for the wire.... I replaced them on an old eel with new sampos.:shocked:

MAC
01-28-2006, 09:31 PM
It looks like they had a straight brass wire coming out of the bottom half of swivel and turned the hook to get the wrap. I wouldn't bother with staying to original that close. Don't want a weak link.

stripercrazy
01-28-2006, 10:12 PM
mac may be right, the one I saw thimber with the body didn't look cut. he'll have to tell us, but that would be faster than drilling out the top.

ThrowingTimber
01-31-2006, 06:33 PM
thanks guys. Yeah they carved up the swivel pretty good, then dropped a straight wire down the bottom and put the hook on then looped it. Im telling you I keep having nightmares...of lost fish. I'll just go with crok swivels, but wanted to see what you guys all thought. Thanks guys!