View Full Version : Quick change weighted keels

ragfly
01-28-2006, 10:02 PM
In this months OTW mag it has an article about tube'N worm and talks about the quick change weighed keel. Where can I buy them on line? I thought there used to be an add for them in OTW mag.

kippy
01-28-2006, 10:08 PM
I would like to know where I could purchase them as well. Seems like a great alternative to wire line.

Mr. Sandman
01-29-2006, 10:28 AM
I have never tried them but saw that and eyed at them for a while. It seems like a big contraption to put right ahead of your offering but I guess the fish don't seem to mind.

Somewhat off topic but related to T&W fishing and is clear in that add is LOOK AT THE HOOK IS ON THAT TUBE:
The one thing about T&W that amazes me is the hook placement. Most guys put a single lame hook at the tail of thier tube. Sometimes way too small a hook and of cheap quality. Almost every lure or plug I use has a set of fwd hook(s) and 9 times out of 10 they take the fwd hook. We all know bass take baits head first. The last time I used a T&W I had a savage strike that clearly was a big fish. It didn't stay hooked very long, when I reeled it up, the tube was pulled all the way down off the head and was slid down the wire halfway to the hook. I still think these things are rigged wrong for bass...but what do I know?

Fishpart
01-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Make your own with SS welding wire and pliers. If you look closely you'll see the stress passes down from eye to eye and the keel adds the weight and keeps the tube from twisting the line if you have decent swivels.

In the article he talksa about a decent length leader between the keel weight and the tube.

As for the head hook, I'm sure an industrious individual could rig a T&W on an eel bob with a long tail hook, wheneit comes on the market Sandman and I get a piece...

big jay
01-29-2006, 10:51 AM
J&B in Niantic carries them - you can probably get them through their website.

There are some tubes out there already with a head hook as well as the tail hook. Reason most tubes have only a tail hook is b/c the bass hit the worm in the head, not the whole tube.

slapshot
01-29-2006, 12:38 PM
Pat Renna makes those keels, he was the author of that article. He has posted here in the past, but is not a paying sponsor. So I can't give out his website, info. He lives in CT. I don't want to break any rules here. Maybe interested folks can PM me.

ProfessorM
01-29-2006, 03:41 PM
IMO no need for a top hook. They are after the worm not the tube. It is just a delivery device. Store bought tubes use low quality hooks and hardware. Make your own.

Mr. Sandman
01-29-2006, 04:00 PM
The bass can detect when the tube ends and when the worm starts when it is dragged by them at 3 feet/sec? There eyes are not that good. Also, if they only want the worm how come the tube does not scare them off? There has got to be a better and cleaner way deliver a worm at a given depth then attaching it to a 3' hunk of hose.

:read: Hmmmm, This will call for some downrigger experimenting next year.

ProfessorM
01-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Tube gets there attention, worm smells. Curiosity killed the cat. Dragged very very slow. Many a charter capt. has made a living doing just that. I use only 18" of hose.

mikecc
01-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Got them in the shop.

patr
01-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Nice to see you guys caught the article... blues have a tendancy to hit the tube anywhere along it's length. There is no problem hooking up with stripers with only the single hook in the rear.

Not all tubes are created equal and a lot of experimenting went into mine before I decided on materials and colors. They are also made with musted (2X) saltwater hooks.

The keels work great and do just what the article describes... they let me deliver the tube down to 30-40ft with a medium action conventional set-up and braided line.

T-Man

ragfly
01-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Hey Sandman, I am looking at it for another option in trolling MV when I am down there the first week of June. My friend who guides out of Menemsha uses the T&W alot and is very successful with it. He doesn't use a worm he uses Uncle Josh Pork rind in a secret sauce. I will also be tring rip jigging with wire and parachute jigs. I already have my fluke rigs made up so I bet last years 11lber.

NilsC
01-30-2006, 12:38 AM
King Cove Outfitters sell them, give Don a call.
Phone (860) 599-4730
King Cove is a sponsor here :)

Nils

kippy
01-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Does the keel only work with t&w or can it be applied to snapping parachute jigs as well?