Raider Ronnie
01-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Care to share that hunch with us ???

Clammer
01-29-2006, 11:22 PM
WTFC,S :wiggle: :wiggle:

piemma
01-30-2006, 06:37 AM
Yeah, I have a hunch too. Someone will burn some more spots in print....

eelman
01-30-2006, 07:09 AM
I have a hunch about next season.

Me to, and that hunch is your not going to see as many fish as you did last year in Rhode Island, We were blessed that some bunker escaped the nets and held tons of bass along our shores.....

NIB
01-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Its gonna happen alot sooner than usuall.
More bass will make it to the cape.

Karl F
01-30-2006, 07:42 AM
wouldn't count on it.

Karl F
01-30-2006, 07:43 AM
my moneys on piemma's call. that's the best odds, for sure.

NIB
01-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Cape fishing has been dismal the last three yrs.From what I have read.The last three yrs have had colder than normal winters.this winter is warmer than normal.bass are still getting caught here in NJ..There was a dragger had some bluefish the other day.My friend a party boat captain believes some bottom fish are already comin back in.If we get a warm spring the bait fish that hugs our coast's will migrate further north.They can't catch all of em in the nets.this will drag the bass up wit em.Mark my words.

Backbeach Jake
01-30-2006, 08:07 AM
Makes sense, I could use a season like the "Good Old Days" .

Karl F
01-30-2006, 08:09 AM
explain the phenomona of 81, then... record cold winter on the cape, 80/81, then record large bass, not just bertha, but a fall run like no other, after good fishing all summer.
talk to old guys on the cape, (older than me, and even older than CS)... why they get happy about fishing prospects, the years we have cold winters..... food for thought.

JohnR
01-30-2006, 08:13 AM
talk to old guys on the cape, (older than me, and even older than CS)... why they get happy about fishing prospects, the years we have cold winters..... food for thought.

Will we need to fish with linnen lines :hihi: ??

Nebe
01-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Cape fishing has been dismal the last three yrs.From what I have read.The last three yrs have had colder than normal winters.this winter is warmer than normal.bass are still getting caught here in NJ..There was a dragger had some bluefish the other day.My friend a party boat captain believes some bottom fish are already comin back in.If we get a warm spring the bait fish that hugs our coast's will migrate further north.They can't catch all of em in the nets.this will drag the bass up wit em.Mark my words.

mind reader! :btu:

janiejones
01-30-2006, 09:24 AM
I have a hunch about next season.

I don't have any hunches whatsoever about next season. :huh: :confused:

RIROCKHOUND
01-30-2006, 09:32 AM
I have a hunch that come May 15th the water temp will be +/- 1 degree from the average. That means that between May 1 and May 15 the average Temp at the Newport Tide gauge will be 52. I'd bet a beer on it being right around there..

As far as a hunch. I HOPE the cape has fish. and people talk about it... get em out of here :D
but... lesson learned here... good or bad fishing.. keep your mouth shut.....

Nebe
01-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Hound i cant stop playing with it. you know... it :hihi:

RIROCKHOUND
01-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Yup... Wed. night?

Nebe
01-30-2006, 09:50 AM
:rotf2: sure

RIROCKHOUND
01-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Call ya tommorow

Krispy
01-30-2006, 09:59 AM
u 2 may want to edit your little insider "thingy", unless you really are gonna go play with "it" on Wednesday :eek5: :eek5: :yak5: not that theres anything wrong w/ that

RIROCKHOUND
01-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Krispy;
good point, but it definetly has nothing to do with that...
Not that there anything wrong with that....

MoroneSaxatilis
01-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Does this have something to do with that "Brokeback Breachway" movie I've been hearing about?
:love:

Nebe
01-30-2006, 11:17 AM
:hidin:

Flaptail
01-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Feelings? Hunches? All you can go on is historical fact. Historically the fish (larger) show on the outer Cape by May 10th-15th. Old Mac Reed said when the oak leave buds in his yard were as big as a mouses ear. Who knows? Burning spots? More likely in RI what with it's more non-moveable shoreline. Outer Cape? Structure today, east wind tonight, gone tomorrow. Got bait? No got bait no got fish. No matter if winter long or short, cold or warm. Old ones have tales and fish have tails. Fish know, man don't but thinks he does. Want bait on outer Cape? Get boat. Go east 8 miles, find whales, find bait, find bass, find tuna later. Want to catch fish? Go fishing. Sooner or later you catch fish. I got hunch. My hunch is that we will have to wait and see. Another hunch is that the canal is going to ber a whole lot more fun this year. Burn spots inprint? Read weekly newspapers. Read reports from bait shops but most of all keep tabs on the inernet blabber. Best source of all. Hunches, hmmm.........

Mr. Sandman
01-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I predict Yellowfin tuna within 5-7 miles off the beach (my beach) by August. The Ocean temp will be warmer this summer and fish will arrive sooner and i bet their will be a lot of bait around. Look for an early worm hatch.

Your mileage may vary........

capesams
01-30-2006, 12:21 PM
think
d
e
e
p
think............................................. .............off shore

think may/capecodbay..inshore

yak guy's going to burn barnstable harba on tv,,,don't miss it.

Nebe
01-30-2006, 12:22 PM
The one thing that sticks out in my mind from last season was the huge pods of big bass that stayed in NJ till early summer. the water took so long to heat up that they just stayed there and ate bunker all day.. My hunch is that with this warm winter, water temps south of LI sound will heat up quicker, thus sending pajama mama northbound earlier.. We always get the first wavs of keeper sized bass in the beginning of may too, but my hunch is that these fish are the CT and hudson fish. the truely big chesapeake cows show later..

agian... only a hunch.

eelman
01-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Feelings? Hunches? All you can go on is historical fact. Historically the fish (larger) show on the outer Cape by May 10th-15th. Old Mac Reed said when the oak leave buds in his yard were as big as a mouses ear. Who knows? Burning spots? More likely in RI what with it's more non-moveable shoreline. Outer Cape? Structure today, east wind tonight, gone tomorrow. Got bait? No got bait no got fish. No matter if winter long or short, cold or warm. Old ones have tales and fish have tails. Fish know, man don't but thinks he does. Want bait on outer Cape? Get boat. Go east 8 miles, find whales, find bait, find bass, find tuna later. Want to catch fish? Go fishing. Sooner or later you catch fish. I got hunch. My hunch is that we will have to wait and see. Another hunch is that the canal is going to ber a whole lot more fun this year. Burn spots inprint? Read weekly newspapers. Read reports from bait shops but most of all keep tabs on the inernet blabber. Best source of all. Hunches, hmmm.........

All good points, however since rhode islands coast is boulders and reefs and all that good stuff that holds lobsters this =bait= fish...we will have them...its on the top of there food list...... Night fishing for me always begins around the 15th of may and I have done well with decent fish at that time.regardless of what bait or no bait is in the area and regarless of what the winter did...cape has its own set of circumstances but here in the ocean state the fish show like clockwork... As for the baitshops? listen to them and you may miss it all, there late, inacurate, untrue, embelished. The best news you make is your own...especially when fishing.........

Most of the early talk revolves around those first run brighties dinks. I have seen them in matunuck on St.pattys day and as late as april 18th or so give or take a few days....Those are the fish (since they are the first) that are most affected by the harsh or mild winter. The ones we want are mid may fish. Either way it happens, one sure thing, the fish will move sooner or later.watch water temps and just fish! Most of those first run babys are from the thames river! most of the southern fish B-line to the cape area (this is what I have heard) No body really knows.

Slipknot
01-30-2006, 12:40 PM

:bc: :bc: :bc: :rocketem: :af: :wall:

fishaholic18
01-30-2006, 12:45 PM
My hunch is that we will have to wait and see.
Thats what I say.
My hunch is that I will fish therefore I'll catch.:angel:

ProfessorM
01-30-2006, 01:50 PM

Say it ain't so

chris L
01-30-2006, 01:59 PM
my prediction is the world is going to end due to radio waves from all the damn wireless ethernet being used in bathrooms across the planet .

Flaptail
01-30-2006, 02:33 PM
The one thing that sticks out in my mind from last season was the huge pods of big bass that stayed in NJ till early summer. the water took so long to heat up that they just stayed there and ate bunker all day.. My hunch is that with this warm winter, water temps south of LI sound will heat up quicker, thus sending pajama mama northbound earlier.. We always get the first wavs of keeper sized bass in the beginning of may too, but my hunch is that these fish are the CT and hudson fish. the truely big chesapeake cows show later..

agian... only a hunch.

Nebe, aside from having you run as my vice presidential candidate someday, the water temps so far this year at the 40418 buoy 30nm east of Nantucket are 43.3 degrees and holding and that temp is pretty universal for just off Chatham and the outer cape. Six degrees more and bass will inhabit and feed. That's the only thing that gives me hope and water that gets warm early might bloom inshore the ever important factor of planktonic creatures that the sandeels (our number one beach bait ) love to feed on but then again there is the seal theory which I must say, anecdotally or not, I firmly subscribe too.

capesams
01-30-2006, 04:57 PM
yep! got word lastnite,,guy's been filmin he fishin time there and is going to put a short show on... I'll try and get more details later on.

Sea Dangles
01-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Talk all you want about water temps and where they spend their winters.One thing we must understand is the big fish eat little fish,if there are no little fish good luck trying to catch big fish.Some parts of R.I. had lots of bait almost all year,other parts had squat.I managed to luck into some great fish last year but they were long and lean.Where is the beef?I'll tell you it's not on the bass without abundant pogie around.Two fish that should have been over fifty and lots that could have pushed forty.Even in the fall the bellies weren't there.
Fish your favorite spots and good luck to all this coming season.Learn where the big girls like to play and make some sacrifices and you can get lucky too.Sometimes you have to throw away the book on tides,pressure,wind direction and just fish.Try some new spots that haven't produced in the past.Last year I tried a spot countless times with no luck but it paid off in spades come September.
This year I would love to fish some nights with people I met from the board and others I have yet to meet.No secret spots,just some laughs and :gu: and God willing ;tight lines.

Nebe
01-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Nebe, aside from having you run as my vice presidential candidate someday, the water temps so far this year at the 40418 buoy 30nm east of Nantucket are 43.3 degrees and holding and that temp is pretty universal for just off Chatham and the outer cape. Six degrees more and bass will inhabit and feed. That's the only thing that gives me hope and water that gets warm early might bloom inshore the ever important factor of planktonic creatures that the sandeels (our number one beach bait ) love to feed on but then again there is the seal theory which I must say, anecdotally or not, I firmly subscribe too.

ahh yes the bloom. some places will bloom faster than others and attract the bait. I hope bart reads this. :read:

ohhhh come on spring.

Dangles, i heard you got those big fish on a fiberglass jetty :cool:

clambelly
01-30-2006, 08:27 PM
ive read through this thread and everyone has some great theories. i think im just as excited as everyone else for the season to get here. who knows what it will be like, hopefully as fun and exciting as last season.

but a word of caution. the winter is about halfway over and it has been warm, but february hasn't showed its might yet, and before you can blink the bays and ponds just might freeze.

the canal was crap for the first half of the season, but the second half was gang busters. i hope its as much fun this year. had a ball.

quick decision
01-30-2006, 08:59 PM
I have a hunch wether the fishing is better or worse, the weather warmer or cooler, the water temp. higher or lower, we all will still be forever hopelessly hooked on fishing. That exactly is whats keeps us comming back.

Pete_G
01-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Here's some info. This almost qualifies as a spot burn. ;)

A few 20+ pound bass were coming up in the nets of some draggers close to the Block last week. Herring and squid were already in the area as well. I'd normally dismiss any info like this but it came from a reliable and direct source so until I can prove otherwise, I believe it.

On an unrelated note (and hopefully my saying this will reverse the trend most people's log books show), most of the best years for inshore pelagics off RI occured after cold winters, not warm ones. :crying:

bart
01-30-2006, 10:20 PM
ahh yes the bloom. some places will bloom faster than others and attract the bait. I hope bart reads this. :read:

ohhhh come on spring.

:cool:
i can't wait any longer. i'm losing my mind. :wall:

libassboy
01-30-2006, 10:44 PM
i can't wait any longer. i'm losing my mind.

I hear ya, and I got the new Surfcaster catalog today, the cover picture was killing me....:spin:

NIB
01-31-2006, 12:31 AM
Of course I could be totally wrong.In which case u won't have to here me say i told u so.Plus most won't will remember my post anyway's.I don't have to play the cheap odds.I don't write for a magazine.I just type on the internet.I actually hope the same pattern of the last three yrs holds true.Its been good in NJ.
It's just shtuff I think about when not fishing.

Flaptail
01-31-2006, 05:39 AM
Of course I could be totally wrong.In which case u won't have to here me say i told u so.Plus most won't will remember my post anyway's.I don't have to play the cheap odds.I don't write for a magazine.I just type on the internet.I actually hope the same pattern of the last three yrs holds true.Its been good in NJ.
It's just shtuff I think about when not fishing.

Tony, I always read yur postage. R u coming up for plugfest? I could make a special Kielbasa wit my wife;s homade spaghetti sauce!:wavey: :buds:

ThrowingTimber
01-31-2006, 07:09 AM
wont be long now :buds:

fcap60
01-31-2006, 08:17 AM
I have a hunch that I'll catch a decent fish on my Nebe-Needlefish !

Joe
01-31-2006, 08:27 AM
It seems whenever we have a mild early winter we have a cold late winter/early spring. I don't believe that a mild winter translates into a significantly earlier-than-normal arrvial of migratory fish.

How April and early May progress is another matter. How spring develops seems to be much more important than how the winters went. An April with sunshine and an early arriving southwest windflow usually translates into a good spring.

shadow
01-31-2006, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=Joe]It seems whenever we have a mild early winter we have a cold late winter/early spring. I don't believe that a mild winter translates into a significantly earlier-than-normal arrvial of migratory fish.

How April and early May progress is another matter. How spring develops seems to be much more important than how the winters went. An April with sunshine and an early arriving southwest windflow usually translates into a good spring.[/QUOTEjoe you beat me to it.I couldn't agree more.After looking back at last year you just don''t know what could happen.Last year the fish stayed south longer then one would off thought they should of.Mostly because of the bait ct.,N.y,N.J,has been lucky to have.The fishing didn't get constent up here till summer and for a hot summer we had really good fishing.Imo bait rules over water temps.Look at what Pete G. wrote.