View Full Version : Abu 7000 HSN

tlapinski
01-31-2006, 09:52 AM
I remember when this reel came out that many people had problems with it. Have the issues been resolved? I have been waiting to pick one up for when I heard things were ok with it. I planned to rip it apart and put new sideplates and guts in it anyway as I'm not a fan of the stock color.

gone fishin
01-31-2006, 09:57 AM
I remember when this reel came out that many people had problems with it. Have the issues been resolved? I have been waiting to pick one up for when I heard things were ok with it. I planned to rip it apart and put new sideplates and guts in it anyway as I'm not a fan of the stock color.
I bought one when it first came out. It had many problems: pinion gear shattrering ; bearings lousey and also drag was poor. If you are serious about the reel, check with mike at M&D. He is tricking them out and with the modifications it is a good reel. Don't worry about the color - it makes no difference in the performance! :wid:

tlapinski
01-31-2006, 10:02 AM
True about the color, but it would look pretty sick with the chrome side plates I have sitting here. :cool:

lurch
01-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Can you use the frame and narrow spool with a black BG 7000?

It would be cool to have a narrow spool with a black 7000BG gears..

Saltheart
01-31-2006, 11:11 AM
The black BG 7000CL is perfect!!! Don't change a thing. Just buy all you can find and hoard them like the gems they are!! :)

MAC
01-31-2006, 12:16 PM

Ask John Habs. He has one and loves it from what I hear.

mikecc
01-31-2006, 12:20 PM

already done also added ceramic bearings and it an awsom reel when completed.

lurch
01-31-2006, 12:47 PM
ooooooo...do I see a black HSN in the future for me???

Maybe I can trade a Penn 975 for one :)

lurch
01-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Can I just buy the spool and frame? If so can someone post a link?

t.orlando
01-31-2006, 04:51 PM
The black BG 7000CL is perfect!!! Don't change a thing. Just buy all you can find and hoard them like the gems they are!! :):btu:

mikecc
01-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Can I just buy the spool and frame? If so can someone post a link?
Spool and frame will run you almost 60-70$

I had the HSN and did the swap. either way it's not cheap.

I will be getting additional parts to do the swap in the next few weeks. we have done over 12 reels so far.
New a complete reel HSN frame Ceramic bearings ,HD Gears ,Bronze Housings and smooth drags total cost is aprox $190.

lurch
02-01-2006, 03:17 AM
I have a 7500 black BG and 7000 black BG and love the reels but would like a smaller spool / frame on the 7000.

With all of the mods, what is the difference between the 7000 HSN and the black 7000 BG?

Last time I was in the shop (early 2005) Mike showed me some of the gearing issues with the gold BGs, have these issues been resolved? The reason why I am asking is because a buddy of mine just received one from santa and I told Santa to visit M&Ds but the shop was closed when Santa was shopping. I told my buddy to return the reel to the shop Santa bought it from and visit Mike cause he was upfront about the known issues and could add some mods to protect the reel from blowing up while fishing.

NIB
02-01-2006, 08:03 AM
The main gear is two piece in the new china abu's seems to be a problem on some. I bought one to beat when they came out.Bridge fished it wit 80lb kite string locked down pulled one 29 lbs wit it.In a 5 kt current a spot where drag slip means lost fish. I purposely pounded the thing. Reeled up 10 lbers 40 ft with it. It has done a yoemans jobwith no complaints.Probably a tuesday reel.

mikecc
02-01-2006, 08:31 AM
All the 7000 reels are 2 pc. it is just that the gold BG has a 2pc Stainless Gear punched together. You cant expand stainless it cracks. That is where the failure is. there were 2 series of stainless gears . 1 you can see the cracks in the center of the pinion gear(round & Junk ) the other in the center of the pinion is a hexigon when it was punched .This one should be OK
The Black BG had a Brass aloy to Stainless the Brass when punched can expand to tighten the 2 pc together without cracking. We just order a bunch of gears and swap them out.