View Full Version : Your Skin

Goose
02-02-2006, 11:39 AM
About the last 4 months or so I had a scab on the bridge of my nose, it would fall off easly in the shower but soon return. My wife pleaded to get it taken care of, after huntin season I'd say. I spend most of my day exposed to direct sunlight and luv fishing mid-day. I had it frozen off this morning but the doc also found other spots that had pre-cancer unseen by the untrained eye. We know skin cancer is minor thing to deal with compared to other real life situations and although there are serious consaquince's with skin cancer, includeing death, the key to it is early detection. I now have to stay on top of my skin with sun blocker and neutrogena (advised by my doc). Sun exposure catchs up with you, there's a price for everything.

I was going to post this in the boating forum or scuppers but hope people make putting on some cream like making sure they have sharp hooks.

Saltheart
02-02-2006, 11:44 AM
yep , definitely a concern for boaters. I got some bad burns while sailing.

Even though we fish mostly at night , how many times have you stood facing the rising sun after fishing in the darkness. That early morning sun is killer!!

Be careful out there.

chris L
02-02-2006, 01:12 PM
glad you had it taken care of . My Mom had some cancer removed years ago . came from years of sun worshipping .

Striperhound
02-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Sun exposure is very serious, thats why we should fish at night. All kidding aside. In my early 20's I ran a Charter Boat operation on Lake Ontario. Sun exposure was intense being on the water daily guiding. I had the same thing, small scab on the face that would not heal. After some time I had it checked and was found to have melanoma. After a intense series of radiation treatments and finally surgury to remove it, it was gone. When a doctors sits you down in your early 20's and gives you survival %'s and other grim facts, it puts things into perspective. Be careful with the sun!

JohnR
02-03-2006, 07:57 AM
I hope all is well Goose...

Another reminder to take better health precautions when fishing...

Clammer
02-03-2006, 08:26 AM
I have to go for a checkup up every 3 months ///

The price ya pay /for workin on the water // I,ve had at least 30 pre-cancerous [things] removed & one skin cancer surgery [they had to go deep to get it all]]

Just go out on rainy days & dark nights // :liquify:

mekcotuit
02-03-2006, 09:58 AM
After having a grade 2 melanoma removed from my nose, my dermatologist gave me a sample of Neutrogena SPF 45 Sunblock with Parsol 1789. He said the Parsol is the key......and I slather it on, believe me.

Swimmer
02-03-2006, 11:20 AM
I hope everything works out O.K. Goose

Goose
02-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Wasn't meant to be about me I'm fine, thanks.

Clammer
02-03-2006, 12:57 PM
you only [[THINK}} your fine :fishslap:

ThrowingTimber
02-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Note Taken Goose. Glad everything went well.

Springtides
02-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Heads up for the board members Goose. Smart thinkin wife ya got there too. I go once a year to the dermatologist and always seem to have someting to be removed, burned, frozen or keep an eye on. Thanks for the info on Parsol 1789 Mekcotuit!!!!

Mr. Sandman
02-03-2006, 01:50 PM
This is serious sh*t. You get a bad skin cancer and it could come back someplace else in a few years. I speak from experience. My Dad (who retired on the cape) died from melanoma. 3 years prior he had a small mole removed from his back which came back with melanoma and went back to have a bigger bite removed and was watched closely only to have it pop back inside his chest this time and it killed him. He was a serious boater/fisherman and spent most of his life on a flying bridge or in the cockpit almost always offshore. He constanly had a bronze tan, never a burn. He was always outside. After the mole was removed, he always wore protective clothing but it was too late. It came back.

I always wear shirts, hat and sunglasses AND SUNSCREEN on the boat. I don't sun burn either. My wife (a surgeon) looks me over regularly and removes anything that she even is close to suspicious. Last spring I she took a bunch of things off of me all came back neg but it is better to be safe on this stuff. This spring I am sure she will remove something else. I don't want to get cancer. (It wiped out my both parent’s ages 47 and 65) Skin cancer is bad stuff, yes it can be removed easily but it takes 5 years before they know they really got it. While early detection is key, prevention is even better...Wear those nice fishing shirts, they are cool dry fast when wet and stop UV, (I get one or two each season...they are great) ,wear hats and good sunglasses. Forget getting an even tan... Protect yourself!