View Full Version : popper color

CANAL RAT
02-02-2006, 08:14 PM
i was thinking does the color of poppers really matter? i mean poppers are work accross the top and all the fish see is the outline and the chugging action. it seems like white and black would be the most affective colors.

any thoughts?

Clammer
02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
YEP :hidin:

RI Popper
02-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Dear Mr. Canal Rat. most of the poppers have a white/yellow or silver bottom. Except for the night designs they are usually purple or black, I've even seen bright red. Same principle applys to sub surface lures. you'll want to go with light colors during the day and dark at night or on darker water conditions.

Armand

Slingah
02-02-2006, 09:03 PM
yellow/redhead....dangerous:cool:

Backbeach Jake
02-02-2006, 09:43 PM
You betcha!

tattoobob
02-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Seeing that Poppers are Daytime plugs Blue/White, Yellow/white, Olive/Silver and Redhead

BigFish
02-02-2006, 10:08 PM
White with a red head....killer combo!:nailem:

JHABS
02-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Start with White then change your colors to what works, Red /White, Red /Yellow, Blue/White, all Yellow, all Lime, and Black are my favorites. And try Poppers at night YES Night, also Black during the cloudy day can be Deadly. This is what works for me...............GOOD LUCK...................

basswipe
02-03-2006, 06:50 AM
Last May was awesome with one of Salty's olive/white 1.25oz poppers.No other color came close.

piemma
02-03-2006, 07:29 AM
Oct 16, 1999. Deep Hole, 2:00 AM, Popper, Red head, yellow body. result. 39lb 15oz Bass

Skitterpop
02-03-2006, 07:36 AM
Love em sometimes and places

Favorite is cream pearl white with a very light blue or yellow over top

In the Fall....... red head/white or red head /yellow :love:

GBOUTDOORS
02-03-2006, 07:45 AM
You guys are all wet ANY color will work so long as its white :fishslap:

Goose
02-03-2006, 09:10 AM
yellow/olive are good colors

The Iceman 6
02-03-2006, 09:13 AM
Olive green is the ticket...

Rappin Mikey
02-03-2006, 09:21 AM
I like yellow/white with red mouth

Clogston29
02-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Yellow over white 1 oz habs popper :btu:

bart
02-03-2006, 09:37 AM
i like 2 3/8oz SS poppers in yellow/white, same with gibbs pencils. the old atom atomizers in white were good too

cheferson
02-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Green Mackerel

Pt.JudeJoe
02-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Oct 16, 1999. Deep Hole, 2:00 AM, Popper, Red head, yellow body. result. 39lb 15oz Bass

Man that is as honest as you can get!:claps:

Saltheart
02-03-2006, 10:55 AM
For a long time , all i used was the blue/white and yelow/orange Atom Poppers. Color definitely matters cause you could throw a blue/white one for an hour and get nothing then switch to yellow/orange and start hitting them every cast. Could also work the other way where blue and white was hot that day. I have also seen times when no color will get them What they would hit was shiny silver like a creek chub popper.

Anyway , I still carry the two colors of Atoms , all white , black and shiny silver.

I have caught so many fish on poppers with a black and white teaser at night that I have to laugh at people who say poppers only work at night time.

I especially like the atoms cause they would sink. You can always keep a slightly sinking one on top but you can't get a floating one down. There are times when the surface pop works well but there are also times when you want it to sink about 1 foot below the surface then come up and break the surface with a splahs. For some reaon i call that "twanging" them instead of popping them (just a term that stuck way bacjk when) . If you've ever done it , you would understand why i call it twanging them.

I once wrote an article about popping up fish. If i can find it I'll repost it here.

luds
02-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I think eye color can matters too when you are working a popper slowly. Red eyes are effective with white and yellow/white Hab's poppers and the tattoo spooks.

Mike P
02-03-2006, 11:31 AM
If you fish the Canal often enough, you will see days when one color will outproduce everything else. Even when the fish are on mackerel. That's why some regulars carry three flavors of mackerel (green, blue and pink).

And it's not necessarily true that all a fish sees of a popper is the bottom. If you have a plug that floats almost vertically at rest, like a pencil popper or a floating Polaris, and work it correctly, the entire arse end of the plug can be subsurface between pops. Fast retrieves and exaggerated pops result in bluefish. Some of the better Canal rats make a Polaris gurgle and slurp on the pop instead of making a big slash, and retrieve it as slow as a swimmer at night. And make a pencil popper sit almost in place on a rip and dance up and down ;)

CANAL RAT
02-06-2006, 08:43 PM
If you fish the Canal often enough, you will see days when one color will outproduce everything else. Even when the fish are on mackerel. That's why some regulars carry three flavors of mackerel (green, blue and pink).

And it's not necessarily true that all a fish sees of a popper is the bottom. If you have a plug that floats almost vertically at rest, like a pencil popper or a floating Polaris, and work it correctly, the entire arse end of the plug can be subsurface between pops. Fast retrieves and exaggerated pops result in bluefish. Some of the better Canal rats make a Polaris gurgle and slurp on the pop instead of making a big slash, and retrieve it as slow as a swimmer at night. And make a pencil popper sit almost in place on a rip and dance up and down ;)

may through early nov i fish the canal every day or night,i was just thinking about it, some times things are made to catch fisherman not fish.

Bob Thomas
02-06-2006, 09:08 PM
About 2 years ago, Dad and I were fishing a cloudy day at the Canal. The fish were slamming Black poppers ONLY. I was confused as to why they were hitting the Black during daylight hours. We were just throwing and scouting after a long night of jigging. They would not touch any other color.

luds
02-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Has anyone had success with floating poppers with over-sized mouths?

I was thinking about trying that style more this year as I mainly use yozuri hydro pencils, spooks and Hab's squid poppers for topwater. Just wondering if I should bother. It's tough to leave what's worked for you in the past.

Some examples of the design I'm speaking of would be the new Stetzko popper or a Smack it.

I guess my question is a little off topic but everyone's talking about popper types in addition color and that question came up for me.