View Full Version : Good cable modem?

sok
02-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Anyone have any preferences?
Had a Toshiba PCX1100 since 2000.
It keeps dropping the signal.
Changed the splitter, the n.i.c., the cable and when opportunity presented itself the whole computer.
(Windows XP upgrade $100, new machine with Windows XP $150)
Part of the reason why I'm still a "lurker". Bad connection.

crash
02-04-2006, 09:53 PM
I've had luck with the motorolas, but any of the new ones should serve you well

JohnR
02-04-2006, 11:18 PM
SOK - are you in RI or Mass? iF in RI, got to COX and get a Motorola Surfboard 5120 for $20 . The one time $20 charge was all I had to pay when returning old modem at COX office.

I had the same Toshiba for years and had bitched to COX that it had issues. They refused to deal with it and I gave up trying (connection would fall off for 10 seconds at a time). The SB5120 has significantly better response and uptime over the old Toshiba... Great site for checking these out (and all cable or DSL) is DSLreports.com - lots of info in there...

If you are in mass, I'm not sure what the policy is.

zacs
02-05-2006, 10:34 AM
my motorola surfboard has been rock solid for years.

ThrowingTimber
02-05-2006, 12:33 PM
I'd contact your isp and see if the issue is isolated to your account/ machine. Or if there have been other users within in the same node affected the same way with the same losses etc. If you have everything set onto a powerstrip or a ups (uninterruptable power supply), I'd flip it off, to purge the any cache on the modem itself) I've been using Motorolla's since early 95 with no issues.

sok
02-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Leaning toward Motorola SB5120.
I usually kill everything (puta,modem & everything else) every day or two.
99% sure it's just the modem.

JohnR
02-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Leaning toward Motorola SB5120.
I usually kill everything (puta,modem & everything else) every day or two.
99% sure it's just the modem.

When I first got that modem, ohh 4 years ago, the Cox tech said it was the best they cable modem they ever had. After years of dealing with crap I find out from 3 other DOCSIS guys that the modem really sucks... Get the 5120 - you'll be satisfied...

MoroneSaxatilis
02-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I've been using Motorolla's since early 95 with no issues.
You had broadband in early '95? Who was your provider, MediaOne? We didn't get BB in NB till '98, I think it was.

lurch
02-08-2006, 05:48 AM
They are all the same!!!

Dont worry about it, the MTBF (mean time before failure) on these devices suck.

It is not like you are buying a high end switch or router...the cheaper the better.

They all must run the DOCSIS protocol and there are no "extra features" that you can configure.

The one advantage of getting your modem froma cable company is that they will replace it for free....but you have to pay them so much per month.

lurch
02-08-2006, 05:50 AM
You had broadband in early '95? Who was your provider, MediaOne? We didn't get BB in NB till '98, I think it was.

I know that M1 started up in 96 in the towns around Needham (worked on the project when it first started)...plust DOCSIS was not around until much later around '99