View Full Version : Fly line suggestions

Skip N
02-05-2006, 12:37 AM
I picked up a redington RS2 7wt rod to use for light saltwater and i'm looking for some line suggestions. I will mostly fish shallow calm water in the bay with this rod. I'm thinking a floating line and maybe attach a sinking section if i need to get the fly down deeper at times. Trying to make it multi purpose. I use an intermediate on my 9wt wich i like and it casts great but sometimes i wish i was using a floating line at times when in the shallows. Any suggestion or comments? I found this line on sale from orvis...anyone ever used it?

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=44A5&feature_id=&dir_id=1137&group_id=1157&cat_id=8148&subcat_id=9866&shop_id=

ronfish
02-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Skip N- Myself I'd go with the floating line on the 7wt and if you have to get the fly down you can always add a piece of lead core trolling line into your leader(loop to loop), or even go with the Rio T-14. To loop the weighted line into my leader I add it between the butt section and the tippet and have no problem casting it. Heck if you had to you could use a clouser with the floating line and still drag bottom in some areas. Hope this helps, Ron

SAXATILUS
02-05-2006, 03:16 PM
I do the same as ronfish, works great. Cant beat airflo cold saltwater floating lines imho.

Basser
02-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Ron and M have made great suggestions. However,the older style Wulff Triangle Tapers are on sale. While I prefer the Airflo coldwater floaters, I have had very good luck with the Wulffs in similar conditions..

Pete_G
02-05-2006, 04:29 PM
The Airflo Cold Saltwater line is being "upgraded" this year so I have the older (damn good lines, making them better is going to be a challenge) lines going on clearance shortly. Your more then welcome to jump on them now though if you want. I can't remember if I have a 7, but I probably do. $40 for all clearance lines. There will be a complete list of available lines on the website in a few days, hopefully.

Skip N
02-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll def go with a floating line, and use some wire or something to get the fly down deeper if needed. That Airflo line sounds promising....I'll have to take a close look at that.

steelhead
02-06-2006, 03:48 PM
If you fish fr trout,this may be a familiar tip. Add small split shot to the leader a couple feet above the fly if you want the fly to settle in the water column.

Skip N
02-07-2006, 12:50 AM
If you fish fr trout,this may be a familiar tip. Add small split shot to the leader a couple feet above the fly if you want the fly to settle in the water column.

Good idea. That never even entered my mind...Damn i have lots to learn still!

Skip N
02-07-2006, 12:53 AM
So of all the brands of floating lines out there what are considered the best ones and most used for saltwater Striper fishing? I use an older Scientific Anglers cold water Striper line on my 9 weight that casts like a dream. They dont make this type anymore so im in search of a good quality line for my 7wt. What are the best?

SAXATILUS
02-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Airflo cold saltwater floater. You cant beat this line. Slick and shoots like a dream. Not a pvc product, it is not affected by bug juice or sun screen. Steelhead is right on with the split-shot. With a combo of split and sections of lead core you can get deep enough to cover just about any inshore area and still have control over the main line for mending. If you would like some rigging info let me know.