View Full Version : Which Lathe do you own?

Bob Thomas
02-07-2006, 08:18 PM
While doing my research for a new lathe, I was going blurry eyed sorting through the threads between Delta and Jet and finding others I had to look up.

I would be interested in seeing what everyone has in a poll form. Maybe an explanation as to the good and bads or something? If not, just banish me to the "guy has wayyyy too much time on hands" forum please :tooth: :tooth: :smash:

Diggin Jiggin
02-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I've got the delta midi, it's a nice machine.

On my Midi I do plan on swapping out both the centers that came with it, and I will also be picking up a longer tool rest.

The centers that come with it are ok, but I want to get one of the drive centers you dont have to remove and pound into the blank, and the tail center is large diameter and not tapered so you can't work the tail without leaving waste on the tail end.

The tool rest that comes with it is 6" and 8 would be better.

Young Salt
02-07-2006, 08:39 PM
have the delta and my only -minor- complaints are the placement of the switch and the location of the motor.

haven't tried any of the others so i cant comment on them........

my previous wood lathe was a home-made ones by my great-grandfather's brother ( yeah one of those deals :rollem: ) who never had one of those fancy 'formal' educations :hihi:

stripercrazy
02-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I got a jet and love it but to do it again I'd get the delta so I can put a duplcator on the back. both lathe are good and will do the same work. I heard delta's easyer to get parts

PNG
02-07-2006, 09:03 PM
If you have more than three, do you need to go into counseling:chatter :hidin: :huh:

Tagger
02-07-2006, 09:05 PM
could only vote once .. Delta and Craftsman

UserRemoved1
02-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Yep shoulda had two votes. I have the Vega 1553 which is a serious machine, and also have a Jet mini too. Can't beat the Jet for the price and durability.

MAC
02-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Yep shoulda had two votes. I have the Vega 1553 which is a serious machine, and also have a Jet mini too. Can't beat the Jet for the price and durability.

Don't forget "christine" :D

jomlt9@AOL.COM
02-07-2006, 09:52 PM
I have the delta real work horse (midi) :walk:

BigFish
02-07-2006, 10:13 PM
One vote so I put Delta but I got 2 Grizzleys also!:happy:

Charleston
02-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I have the Jet but the Delta is every bit as good if not better.
I use the steb center with the stock center in the tailstock. I use a fine live center when drilling and the live center is in a popper mouth etc. The stock live center is too large in dia. for that!
You have heard it before but that Turncrafter machine looks equal to these high end midi lathes. Save some money and use it on tooling.

Fishpart
02-08-2006, 06:56 AM
I have an OLD Delta 11.5" swing/36" bed with open belt drive. I also have an OLD Craftsman 12" x 36" open bet drive all cast iron. The nicest late I ever used was a very old Oliver.

Salty, I would love to have a Vega :drool:

Raven
02-08-2006, 07:37 AM
If you have more than three, do you need to go into counseling

thanks for the chuckle PNG....:btu:

Bob Thomas...you might wanna think about where your lathe is gonna go....and how much room you have for it...
and if your "sitting situation" is comfortable for you as you'll be spending some time there... and that may influence your decision as to what to buy. The other consideration is whether or not you ever want to turn anything much bigger than plugs.... and if so which type would be good for either job.

Karl F
02-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Anybody else got a old J-Line? :hihi:

PNG
02-08-2006, 08:02 AM
and if your "sitting situation" is comfortable
Raven you gave me a chuckle with that one:rotfl: because sometimes one needs to run away from the lathe (or spade bit) really really fast:gorez: we do try and avoid this but chit happens

Raven
02-08-2006, 08:24 AM
thats why i mentioned it....because some people prefer to stand
and others may want to sit on a stool like i do which is easier to bolt
from (than a chair) if all hell brakes loose...personally i can't static stand
in the same place for more than fifteen minutes....and i've told many a grocery
store manager that i cannot stand
in a grocery line
for very long and could you please
call another cashier up to an empty register otherwise i'm going to have to abandon
my purchase and i always get my way....it's in my gaze and "a little jedi mind trick action
of suggestability sent into his head before i ask" ... too :bl: i have to be leaning, walking ,or sitting.

Bob Thomas
02-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Raven,

I've got the Grizzley 8690 now. The 2 center points are not lining up and are off by about 1/4" so I figured I'd research for a new lathe. Not too sure now...might save a little money and stick it out, might make the splurge.

I got into this about 3 years ago and I'd like to try some new things, Bats bowls etc. Might just bite the bullet and make the splurge...maybe? :huh: :yak6:

Thanks to all...seems like a tight race between them all

justplugit
02-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Anybody else got a old J-Line? :hihi:

No but i gots a noname. :hihi:

pmueller
02-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Wilton, bought it from a friend. He got it off Amazon.com
works ok, when I get another it will be a Jet or Delta

ProfessorM
02-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Are the center points off side to side or up and down? 1/4 inch off sounds like something moved.

Bob Thomas
02-09-2006, 11:56 AM
PM,

They're actually, as you face the motor from the bed, the moveable one is up and to the right. I called Grizzley and they thought the tubes might be bent. I dunno know what happened. It's bolted to the table and always has been. Kinda weird. I figured the clamp might have bent or something. I was wondering why my duplicator was kinda off :wall: :wall: :wall: