View Full Version : Daytona 500

basswipe
02-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Not to insult anyone but now that last Sunday is Behind us.

Thoughts.Predictions.Its Freakin Daytona!

There's a small window between football and baseball for us true race fanatics.C'mon guys we got the Shootout Saturdaynight,the Twin 150s
next Thurs. and THE 500 on the 19th!!!

LETS TALK RACING!!!!!

luds
02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Getting together with friends for the shootout. I think Johnson will finally win a plate race a week from Sunday. There should be some good drama with all the new drivers and new rides. There should also be some great insults passed around amongst the drivers with their emotions running high in the 500.

My neighbors better be ready to hear some engines!!!!

basswipe
02-08-2006, 10:28 PM
The Shootout is a blast!It was really something when it was the Busch Clash!

I don't know what's better.Daytona Speedweeks or that first week the bass show.Its a hard decision!Can't wait for Sat.!!!

I live for this.

Clogston29
02-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I know its getting close because the country stations are starting to play the NASCAR themed songs like I love nascar and riding with the legend - heard both today.

For a predicition, I'll take Jr in the shootout and Stewart in the 500.
Hopefully they'll be a couple RCR cars in the top 5 or 10. And while I'm hoping, lets say Kurt gets taken out early and does something stupid on camera.

Vectorfisher
02-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Would like to see the Yates boys up front but Mr ultra conservative and Mr crashalot don't run restrictor plate races well

Jenn
02-09-2006, 05:55 PM
:lurk:

only two more days!!!!!!

luds
02-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Would like to see the Yates boys up front but Mr ultra conservative and Mr crashalot don't run restrictor plate races well

Have to disagree with you when it comes to "Mr ultra conservative". Didn't he win at Talledaga last year and I know has at least on Daytona victory. He seems to hold his own on the plate tracks even with his stay in the back strategy.

Vectorfisher
02-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Luds I think he had a lot of help if my memory serves me right, cautions and such helped at the end, it's not like he had a strong car and held the pack off all day.

luds
02-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Luds I think he had a lot of help if my memory serves me right, cautions and such helped at the end, it's not like he had a strong car and held the pack off all day.

You're dead on about the cautions and how the race ended last year. I had forgotten about that. He's looking like a bit of a lame duck in shootout practice right now too. I still feel like you have to give some of the older drivers respect at the restrictor plate tracks because they have more experince in the draft. I'm not a DJ fan but if they give him a decent car I think he has the potential to contend for the win.

It's sweet having the practice back on on Friday nights. TRACKSIDE BABY!!!!!!!

Vectorfisher
02-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I would much rather see a guy battling for a win than riding around in the back until the end, it frustrates me to no end. But then again when these young guns are tearing up their rides, DJ is riding behind laughing waiting for his spot to jump into

redneck24
02-10-2006, 07:36 PM
GORDON WINS!!!!! :bshake:

Bobby Labonte 2nd in the petty car. ( just to piss off joe gibbs)

Tony Stewart 3rd.

Mark Martin 4th.

Greg Biffle 5th.

Jimmy Johnson, kiss the wall turn 4, 3/4 through the race due to impatience. Jr., blown engine early. Elliot Sadler will pretend its talledega and roll 5-7 times:rollem:

redneck24
02-10-2006, 07:37 PM
I would much rather see a guy battling for a win than riding around in the back until the end, it frustrates me to no end. But then again when these young guns are tearing up their rides, DJ is riding behind laughing waiting for his spot to jump into

he learned that from Sr. he was the master of patience.

redneck24
02-10-2006, 07:38 PM
oh yeah, and i predict that at least 5 rules will be changed before the 2nd week.

luds
02-10-2006, 07:42 PM
oh yeah, and i predict that at least 5 rules will be changed before the 2nd week.

:humpty:

luds
02-10-2006, 07:43 PM
The truth usually doesn't come out until race day but Jr's car looks to be the best right now.

smitty919
02-10-2006, 09:56 PM
t - 1 day

dude cant wait got all my nascar stuff out looking foward to it
even thinking of opeaning the #8 beer i got form the race last year
naaaaaaaaaaa

luds
02-10-2006, 10:13 PM
t - 1 day

dude cant wait got all my nascar stuff out looking foward to it
even thinking of opeaning the #8 beer i got form the race last year
naaaaaaaaaaa

Save it for the 500:buds:

smitty919
02-10-2006, 10:28 PM
if i leave now i think i can make the race

just drive realy fast

basswipe
02-11-2006, 09:28 AM
GORDON WINS!!!!! :bshake:

Bobby Labonte 2nd in the petty car. ( just to piss off joe gibbs)

Tony Stewart 3rd.

Mark Martin 4th.

Greg Biffle 5th.

Jimmy Johnson, kiss the wall turn 4, 3/4 through the race due to impatience. Jr., blown engine early. Elliot Sadler will pretend its talledega and roll 5-7 times:rollem:

That all sounds about right.

basswipe
02-11-2006, 09:30 AM

That really depends on how well(or not so well) the 8 does.

basswipe
02-11-2006, 09:31 AM
I got my 30 pack,plenty of food.I'll deal with the snow tomorrow.

partsjay
02-11-2006, 04:58 PM
I hope the Yates Guys do well.......Can't wait to see the Fusion on action.

Clogston29
02-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Harvick looks strong and he's good at the plate tracks. He's been allowing himself to drop back in the back and working his way back up to the front well. I think he'll have a strong run and I'm now leaning toward either him pushing stewart to the win or vise versa.

I see Jr wrecking and taking a few others with him while "just havin fun"

smitty919
02-11-2006, 07:25 PM
if thay dont race tonite im going to go crazy

basswipe
02-11-2006, 08:16 PM
if thay dont race tonite im going to go crazy

Postponed till 4pm tomorrow.

smitty919
02-11-2006, 08:47 PM
dam

will i make it/ HELP:bc: :bc: :bc: :bc: :bc: :bc: :bc: :bc: :bc: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af:

basswipe
02-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Don't forget front row qualifying is on NBC at noon today.

redneck24
02-12-2006, 10:06 AM
That really depends on how well(or not so well) the 8 does.

finally, someone else figured that out

basswipe
02-12-2006, 11:52 AM
finally, someone else figured that out

There's a reason why they call it Junior Cup racing.

basswipe
02-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Speaking of rules changes(bending).

Kinda funny how are after a lot of pleading from DEI,NASCAR allowed the transfer of Mikey Waltrips(the former 15 team) final standing in the points over to the 1 team.So now Truex Jr. has a guaranteed starting spot in every race this year.:doh:

NASCAR will truly bend over almost to the point of breaking to accomadate DEI.

Clogston29
02-12-2006, 01:48 PM
WTF is with this weather coverage. I get it. Now show qualifieing. :splat:

basswipe
02-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Johnson just ripped a killer lap.

basswipe
02-12-2006, 02:05 PM
WTF is with this weather coverage. I get it. Now show qualifieing. :splat:

Channel 10 decided for full screen weather updates.At 1pm when Jr. came out 10 decided on an update.

I fired off an email in response to that bs.

basswipe
02-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Jeff Burton and Jeff Gordon are the front row for the 500.

Only bad thing is the 24 will be on the pole for the second 150 qualifier while the 48 will be starting 3rd in the first qualifier.Unfortunately Jimmie will have no help from Vickers or K.Busch as they'll be in the second race also.Even Terry Labonte won't be able to help.The 48 is truly on his own for qualifying next Thursday.

seabass
02-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Baswipe, It is hard to respect a hypocrite, when it comes to crying into NASCAR's Wheaties, Jeffie" I wont drink non-Pepsi products" Gordon is king binky sucker! Rousch Racing Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

basswipe
02-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Baswipe, It is hard to respect a hypocrite, when it comes to crying into NASCAR's Wheaties, Jeffie" I wont drink non-Pepsi products" Gordon is king binky sucker! Rousch Racing Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop while you're behind seabass.Don't be calling me a hypocrite and damn well better not be referring to the 24 team as hypocrites cuz that they ain't.One thing the Dupont team has never done is compromise.

When folks like you got nothing constructive to say you always have to refer him as "Jeffie".So be it.Just remember "Pepsi drinkin Jeffie" has 73 wins and 4 Cups.Only two other teams(drivers) can make that claim and Rousch and its drivers ain't one of them.

This one's for you seabass:bshake:

Clogston29
02-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Jeff Burton and Jeff Gordon are the front row for the 500.

Only bad thing is the 24 will be on the pole for the second 150 qualifier while the 48 will be starting 3rd in the first qualifier.Unfortunately Jimmie will have no help from Vickers or K.Busch as they'll be in the second race also.Even Terry Labonte won't be able to help.The 48 is truly on his own for qualifying next Thursday.

And he'll be starting from the back and probably won't have his crew chief for a few weeks. I have a feeling that NASCAR will make an example of ole' chad.

http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/headlines/cup/02/12/jjohnson.tlabonte.qualifying/index.html

Clammer
02-13-2006, 01:08 PM
I don,t give a S H I T just as long as {JUNIOR} has a year like last & TONy,s takes it too the bank :eyes:

Jenn
02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
ooooohh.....Clammer's a Nascar fan too???? :love:

basswipe
02-13-2006, 05:31 PM
I don,t give a S H I T just as long as {JUNIOR} has a year like last & TONy,s takes it too the bank :eyes:

Alright Clamma!

Clammer
02-13-2006, 07:50 PM
IS It alright with you guys & JENN // if not F/U :nailem:

striperman36
02-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Jimmy is taken a DQ!

Robby for #1 yahooo!!! Race the Hummer!!!!

redneck24
02-14-2006, 06:50 AM
When folks like you got nothing constructive to say you always have to refer him as "Jeffie".So be it.Just remember "Pepsi drinkin Jeffie" has 73 wins and 4 Cups.Only two other teams(drivers) can make that claim and Rousch and its drivers ain't one of them.

This one's for you seabass:bshake:

:thanks:

redneck24
02-14-2006, 06:52 AM
:bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake: :bshake:

Clogston29
02-14-2006, 07:42 AM
I'm not a Gordon fan but I don't understand the whole "anyone but gordon" and "fans against gordon" crowd that hates him so much. There are so many drivers who give us alot more reasons to hate them and who are more fun to hate as well.

basswipe
02-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Its often thought that many Gordon fans are bandwagon fans like so many in the 8 crowd are.

I ain't no bandwagon fan.I spent the entire '92 season wondering what I was gonna do after the great Davey Allison died.I wasn't even sure if I was going to continue watching.Then the final race at Atlanta came and I saw THAT CAR.Been a fan ever since.

It bothers me when they pull the "Jeffie" crap.Usually they sport the "Anyone Butt Gordon" or "F.A.G." t-shirts.Most are just a bunch of johnny-come-latelies who can't even tell you what Nascar stands for.

striperman36
02-15-2006, 10:26 AM
It is perceived that Jeff has 'attitude'. He was so dominant in the mid-90's that is was unreal. It wasn't neccesarily him, his team set the standard for preparedness for racing.
At the time the team was very Christian secular and their focus was perceived as attitude.
Jeff is no different in his time than Tony, Dale Jr., and others who have spent their entire life behind the wheel, doing one thing.

I do think that his team isn't as focused as the Hendrick team was in the past and I think other teams have had more focus than they do now.

Bill

redneck24
02-15-2006, 03:22 PM
people overlook the fact that he is one of the best drivers in nascar history. most people dont even know why they hate him, they just go along with the crowd, most of these people have #8 hats on, and they dont know why.

basswipe
02-15-2006, 04:52 PM
people overlook the fact that he is one of the best drivers in nascar history. most people dont even know why they hate him, they just go along with the crowd, most of these people have #8 hats on, and they dont know why.

Abso-freakin-lutely!

Clammer
02-15-2006, 05:12 PM
No fantasy NASCAR ??????????????//:huh:

Clogston29
02-16-2006, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=most of these people have #8 hats on, and they dont know why.[/QUOTE]

Sure they do. The hat also says Budweiser. Oh, and they've heard that his dad was "the man" too.

redneck24
02-16-2006, 02:52 PM
most of them dont even know who sr. is! :hs:

basswipe
02-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Anybody watching the Twin 150s?

Man they can just as exciting as the race!

How great is it that they're being run so late in the day.I got home in time to catch the last 20 laps of race 1 and I get to see all of race 2! :happy:

smitty919
02-16-2006, 07:08 PM
same for me i was told it had a rain delay so i jumpd in my van and racer home

redneck24
02-16-2006, 08:17 PM
24 #1

Jenn
02-16-2006, 08:17 PM
So are you guys saying that Jr. fans aren't real fans???? If you were a Gordon fan ten years ago didnt that equal the same thing??? Just curious.......

Vectorfisher
02-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Not too take anything away from Gordon as he has a great track record to date, and I am not a hater but rather neutral. Do you feel his success has come from falling into the hands of a well established team that was suited for him when he entered the sport? Do you feel you would have had the same success say with the Wood Bros or a team that doesn't or hasn't had all the money to spend on the best equipment, pit crew, crew chief, wind tunnel, testing, etc?

Vectorfisher
02-16-2006, 10:06 PM
I should follow up and say that I have seen #8 in person at Daytona continually tear up his car and run from the back to front with one half of his car missing and the other half duct taped, and it amazed me how he could blow by cars with no damage like they had 1 cylinder missing. I just think alot of these drivers sucess comes from the whole orginization and not necessarily the driver. Just look at Jimmy Johnson is he really that much of a better driver than Jeff Gordon? Seems Gordon has struggled since the 48 team came on the scene, same can be said for a lot of other teams as well

fishermom
02-17-2006, 12:21 AM
sorry BW but I hope the "favored" doesn't win it............

Clogston29
02-17-2006, 07:47 AM
So are you guys saying that Jr. fans aren't real fans???? If you were a Gordon fan ten years ago didnt that equal the same thing??? Just curious.......

Not all Jr. fans. There are plenty of Jr. fans who are real fans. Alot were fans of his dad who went to Jr. when he died. Bet there are also a LOT of wannabe fans who jump on the Jr. bandwaggon because he's popular and drives the bud car. That's all I was saying.

basswipe
02-18-2006, 09:04 AM

Definetly not.But the vast majority of the Gordon hating crowd do wear red.And a good portion of that crowd didn't even pay attention to racing before the '01 500.Dale Sr.'s death did more to expose Nascar to the masses than anything else in Nascar history because it was the lead off story on the national news for a week.

As Redneck said many hate Gordon and they don't even know why.You have to remember Dale Sr. had(has) many fans and during the 90s he was being beat on a very regular basis by Gordon and people simply get tired of watching one driver constantly win especially when its their driver who was considered the best on the track.In the their prime drivers like Darrel Waltrip and Dale Earnhardt were not well liked and one of the reasons why is because they were beating guys like Petty and Pearson on a very regular basis.

Time will go on and the days will come when Jeff simply won't be winning anymore and then eventually he will retire.Maybe he'll be a team owner or maybe he'll be crew chief for some hot young driver like Evernham did for him.One thing is for sure when those days come they'll be no denying he was one of the greatest drivers in Nascar history.

basswipe
02-18-2006, 09:08 AM
Anyway happy Daytona 500 weekend to all!

Its finally here!:happy:

redneck24
02-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Anyway happy Daytona 500 weekend to all!

Its finally here!:happy:

:bgi:

spence
02-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Come on people, we all know Daytona is just filler until the Formula 1 World Cup opens in March :hee:

-spence

basswipe
02-19-2006, 10:12 AM
The wings are cooking and the beer is chilling away in the fridge.

Its almost time fellas!:happy: :happy: :happy:

No matter who wins let it be a safe and entertaining race.

LETS GO JEFF!!!

partsjay
02-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Meatballs...buffalo fingers.......I'm ready!!

Lets go Yates!!!

basswipe
02-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Come on people, we all know Daytona is just filler until the Formula 1 World Cup opens in March :hee:

-spence

Outside of the US F1 is almost as big as soccer.Europeans and Japanese go loony over it.

Those cars stick to a road course like nothing else.

But I digress,its Daytona 500 weekend and that's all I'm focused on!:D

seabass
02-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Nice finish by that washed up Gay Gordon! No wonder his wife left him, f!@$^n 26th:p ? Wrecked Tony, NASCAR should send him back truck racing!

seabass
02-19-2006, 06:41 PM
This sums him up!

Vectorfisher
02-19-2006, 06:48 PM
SB that's too funny, I didnt get too watch the race but from reading a little on NASCAR.com it sounded like there was aggressive driving from more than one guy.

redneck24
02-19-2006, 07:26 PM
another intelligent person :doh: apparently you saw the highlights, because you didnt see the race, tony is an a-hole, HE wrecked gordon along with kenseth. nice picture, did you eat the paste while making it?

redneck24
02-19-2006, 07:28 PM
by the way, that was one of the most boring 500's i've ever seen, anyone else agree?

luds
02-19-2006, 09:21 PM
I enjoyed it and Clogston29's striper cakes. Loved Johnson's quote, "This ones for all the 48 team haters"

Jenn
02-19-2006, 09:47 PM
by the way, that was one of the most boring 500's i've ever seen, anyone else agree?

Yes I kind of agree. Go ahead and laugh at me but this is the first 500 since I have been into NASCAR that I didnt cry during the victory lap and victory lane interviews! Hey, its the big race, its emotional and I am a chick so I am allowed allright??!!!:wavey: :p (hey tell me it doesnt put a little lump in your throat...)

Well coming from a fan (who yes loves Junior and yes has only been watching for about 6 years) I have to say it was a little on the boring side with the exception on when the 8 and 12 were side by side leading two different packs! those two are my main "boys" and I couldnt decide which to root for!!!!I almost peed my pants with anticipation!!! A little dissapointed the #6 didnt bring home the win as that would have been....well you know. . . sweet:hihi:
too many guys I would have liked to see win that didnt even come close.....oh well there is the rest of the season to make up for it right?

seabass
02-20-2006, 07:41 AM
I watched the whole 200 laps, very boring, little racing, but better than the super bowl. ( I just don't like the 24 team, I also don't care for the Home Depot/ tony stewart show either. Though they are both on my fantasy team!) Anyone going to Bristol this year?

seabass
02-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Here's another great one!

basswipe
02-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Nice finish by that washed up Gay Gordon! No wonder his wife left him, f!@$^n 26th:p ? Wrecked Tony, NASCAR should send him back truck racing!

Actualy Stewart wrecked both Gordon and Kenseth.Get yer facts straight.Schmuck.

basswipe
02-20-2006, 03:56 PM

I would have to agree also.

Vectorfisher
02-22-2006, 08:09 PM
I watched the whole 200 laps, very boring, little racing, but better than the super bowl. ( I just don't like the 24 team, I also don't care for the Home Depot/ tony stewart show either. Though they are both on my fantasy team!) Anyone going to Bristol this year?

OOOH Bristol I am dying to get in that place