View Full Version : Top Flies

Skip N
02-09-2006, 01:47 PM
What would you guys consider to be the top 5 or so fish catching flies for use in Rhode Island/ Cape Cod waters? And the best conditions to use them in? I'm planning on doing more fly fishing this coming year so i want to better educate myself. I've always used basic Deceivers and Rogers Big eye baitfish flies with OK results....But i want to pick the brains of the more advanded fly rodders!:tooth:

So lets have it!

SAXATILUS
02-09-2006, 03:25 PM
My top 5

Banana Squid - 5 to 12 in
Eel Punt - Up to 14 in
Sept night - 4 to 7 in Immitates mullet
Rays Fly - 2 to 6 in - silverside
GP - 1.5 to 4 in - Shrimp

I would be glad to send ya one of each, plus a few more killer flatwings, Shoot me a pm.

NEXT2NUN
02-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Clousers
Half&Half
Surfcandy
Loving Bass
Whistler
Gurglers
poppers

FishHawk
02-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Ray's fly
Chartreuse and White Clouser
Olive and White Clouser
Root beer colored bay anchovies
If I had only one fly to choose it would be the Chartreuse Clouser but the Ray's fly would be my second.
FishHawk

baldwin
02-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Do not by any means neglect to include Brian Owens' velvet eel. It's a velvet tubular body with lead eyes, tied by Brian Owens from North Cove Outfitters in Old Saybrook, CT. The black works best, at night. I've had some good results with it, Frank Daignault says it's a killer.

Slinger
02-11-2006, 02:20 AM
Awww... Bill you been lookin in my boxes, but you forgot the peanut!
Slinger

FishHawk
02-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Steve,we'll let the Basser supply his famous green mushy . FishHawk

Skip N
02-11-2006, 01:50 PM
This is one fly i know work well for me. Any idea what its called? Looks like a peanet bunker type fly. Its a little beat up as you can see. Wish i remebered where i got this from! I could use a couple more.

CANAL RAT
02-11-2006, 10:07 PM
1-blue or green leftys deciever-when peanuts are in.
2-floating sand eel fly-when sandeels are dimpling the surface
3-green or blue clouser-when sandeels are around
4-bunker fly-when the pogys are in.
5-eel punt-night.

FishHawk
02-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Canal Rat ,that floating sandeel sounds interesting. Is there foam in the body to help float the fly? FishHawk

bobfishgerald
02-15-2006, 09:40 AM
I am also thinking about using my flyrod mcuch more this coming season.
Would the flies referenced in this thread by the same ones you would recommend for Boston Harbor?

Pete_G
02-15-2006, 11:06 PM
This is one fly i know work well for me. Any idea what its called? Looks like a peanet bunker type fly. Its a little beat up as you can see. Wish i remebered where i got this from! I could use a couple more.

That's an Umpqua fly, I think, but the name isn't coming to me right now. I have some in the shop.

Pete_G
02-15-2006, 11:09 PM
I am also thinking about using my flyrod mcuch more this coming season.
Would the flies referenced in this thread by the same ones you would recommend for Boston Harbor?

Mine is coming out hiding this year as are several other people's. And I know several people who are dedcated surfcasters who are going to give it a try for the first time as well. SW fly-fishing is going to make a come back this year. :hee:

Roger
02-16-2006, 08:40 AM
...I know several people who are dedcated surfcasters who are going to give it a try for the first time as well. SW fly-fishing is going to make a come back this year. :hee:

OTOH, I know lots of dedicated fly guys that have recently started casting slug-gos and throwing eels at night. We are pretty lucky to have so many venues in this area.

Pete_G
02-16-2006, 08:53 AM
OTOH, I know lots of dedicated fly guys that have recently started casting slug-gos and throwing eels at night. We are pretty lucky to have so many venues in this area.

That's what killed SW fly fishing a few years ago, I think. A lot of guys discovered just how hard it is to catch large on the fly.

SAXATILUS
02-16-2006, 09:18 AM
That's what killed SW fly fishing a few years ago, I think. A lot of guys discovered just how hard it is to catch large on the fly.

To me large on the fly would be 20 or better, where convetional would be 30 or better. That being said if you target areas that lend themselves to the fly and present the right thing, like say a 14 inch eel punt, or 10 inch razzle dazzle it gets a little easier.