View Full Version : Leadhead

ProfessorM
02-13-2006, 12:13 PM
I know this is not wood but here is a jig I made a mold for at least 5 years ago. I poured a few and has sat down cellar since. I brought a few to last years plugfest and steelhead made a few tails for it. After the plugfest I modified it so the hair could be tied directly onto the jig itself and not have to be put onto the hook. It has a swing hook, 2.5 oz's. I am by no means a fly maker so you purest's will have to excuse the hack job but after dragging a few out to this years plugfest I was bored yesterday and thought I would try a few. I would think it would be good for fluke. Baby bunker? Any opinions? :chatter P.

steelhead
02-13-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm going to play with the one you gave me. I'll post when done :-)
I assume the hook goes on with a split ring after the tail is tied?

ProfessorM
02-13-2006, 12:22 PM
I was thinking just put hook directly onto the jig. I don't know guess I will have to experiment this year and maybe actually fish one. Might you also tie onto the hook shank you put on there too? Maybe too much. Keep it simple? Your guess is as good as mine. Paul

numbskull
02-13-2006, 12:30 PM
A couple of suggestions. If you're going to troll the jig, try this. When you pour the head, put a swivel in the back loop first, then use a stainless hook and crimp it to the swivel. Second, although steelhead will cringe, you can buy bulk rubber (or nylon) at places like Stamina which can be put on with bands (they sell a small stretching tool to do it) in a reverse "parachute" fashion which gives the jig a fatter bunker/squid profile and keeps it higher on retrieve. Plugs are great, but when it comes to catching fish, only live bait trumps a jig.

jnski
02-13-2006, 12:45 PM
myself, and many others here on Long Island have caught stripers on bucktails more than any other plug/jig/tin. (which is sort of ironic, considering my fascination with wood, and building)
it is always the first out of my bag, and last to be put back in, especially good in a strong northeast wind right in your face, lotsa white water.
Not an easy task to find swinging hook bucktails in the tackle shops around here, if you want them, gotta make them yourself, or in my case, steal some of my dad's hand poured/tied :bo:

most I have seen/used have had a swivel on the rear loop attaching it to the hook.
put a pork rind or curly tail grubs on the hook:kewl:
they look good from here:cool:

steelhead
02-13-2006, 12:56 PM
I think last year, you had the head set up as just a head and I tied directly on the hook. That's clean and simple. I realized as I was looking at the"new head" over the weekend that once you tie on the head, it becomes more difficult to crimp a hook on to the jig head.
it may be that the orignal version is cleaner.

Numbskull, I love buzz baits with blades, etc.... Those plastic skirts are cool, too. Stripers and blues like 'em, too :-)

ProfessorM
02-13-2006, 01:19 PM
I still have both versions. I only modified 1 cavity. Put the swivel onto the back eye first. I will have to try it. I was just going to crimp a stainless hook onto the eye. I realize it will be sort of a parachute when tied direct to the body. I will also have to try the plastic skirt stuff too. Thanks guys.

RIROCKHOUND
02-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Nice stuff.. whats the weight on it?

ProfessorM
02-13-2006, 01:39 PM
2.3 oz

outnumbered
02-13-2006, 02:00 PM
Paul,

Those look real nice and will work for sure in your favorite place. How about just attaching a single long shank hook directly to the jig and run a dropper hook with bucktail and sandeel about three feet back off the top loop on the jig where the line attaches. I fish a ball rig like that off middle ground and have had great luck with it. Your jig looks much more realistic in the front than what I use.

DZ
02-13-2006, 02:40 PM
Prof,
One of the secrets of the eelbob is a swinging hook. Bevel a groove in the collar and use them as an eelbob head in the breechways/canal. I'll take a few if you make some around 3/4 ounce.

DZ

ProfessorM
02-13-2006, 03:34 PM
George what is the benifit of having a swivel on the hook. I would think the hook would be every which way, up, down, sideways? With the hook just crimped onto the eye it will at least stay upright. I am not sure that is a good thing though. Interested in your diagnosis Doc. P.

steelhead
02-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Here's a dressed veresion of oyur most recent creation....
Did a flatwing tail on a 5/0 open eye siwash hook(turned up), so it's crimped directly to the head. Almost 12" long....

Christian
02-14-2006, 02:10 PM
sick!!

you could also throw a treble on there if you wanted too.
sometimes i just swim jigs that size, cast and retrieve and giving it a few twitches. a treble would definitly be a plus in that situation

Skitterpop
02-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Nice!

I`d like it riggiing Slug-Gos,rigged eels or something similar off of.

wire it up and swim it...nice 3/4 oz to 1 1/2 oz head in black to lead the way on the drop with the tail shivering sexily behind :humpty:

outnumbered
02-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Now that is swwweeeet.

justplugit
02-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Man PM, i took e'm off the staring rack and put e'm in the truck today,soos i could remember for next fall. :smash:

SH, that dressing is over the top. :kewl:

ProfessorM
02-14-2006, 03:41 PM
Steel that is brilliant. Great job. I guess I will have to try them this year. P.

steelhead
02-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Haven't painted the head yet. Tied up my favorite eel punt pattern from flyfishing and will stick it on the back of this first generation PM Leadhead. This one's about 9 1/2" long. Can tie them up to 14" or so. Will that wiggle enough?

MAC
02-14-2006, 07:23 PM
I could see a leader with a single sandeel on that doing a lot of damage:uhuh:

NIB
02-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Nice.
I can stick a 7/0 treble on the back an snag bunker with it.I never like the swingin hook.nevermind a swivel.
But thats just me.
I'm not much of a jig guy. :D

NIB
02-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Double the size of it an set a 8/0 gami siwash in it.
make a nice canal bullet.

Nebe
02-14-2006, 07:53 PM
I'm not much of a jig guy. :D

yeah right :angel:

Nice Jigs paul :kewl: