View Full Version : PLUGFEST plug CONTEST

capesams
02-13-2006, 12:28 PM
before you read this the wrong way...I have no complaints...just something that popped up in another thread that maybe need's a closer look.The table has been split into what seems to be two different classes.....real working plug's and folk art....folk art in term's of really being not useable and real plug's that can be fished..shouldn't these be two different seperate [contest] table's .I'm seeing it as it's really not fair to those who worked hard to build a true working plug to be put up against something that's a funny shape that doesn't and never would work....hence the two different classes of great work....any thought's?

DZ
02-13-2006, 12:33 PM
That was my first plugathon but I thought the same. I would have liked to see those plugs in action - need a swim tank. Big Igloo cooler would work.

DZ

Flaptail
02-13-2006, 12:33 PM
before you read this the wrong way...I have no complaints...just something that popped up in another thread that maybe need's a closer look.The table has been split into what seems to be two different classes.....real working plug's and folk art....folk art in term's of really being not useable and real plug's that can be fished..shouldn't these be two different seperate [contest] table's .I'm seeing it as it's really not fair to those who worked hard to build a true working plug to be put up against something that's a funny shape that doesn't and never would work....hence the two different classes of great work....any thought's?

I was going to mention it either but I agree wholeheartedly. Thanks for bringing it forward Steve. I busted my nutz to build a real fish ctaching version of a past classic and gotb trounced by a comical, though well done, chunk of wood shaped like a biten in half pogie. A little disconcerting. How do we know if half of them even swim? Next year two distinct divisions, real plugs and "what the hell is that"?:uhuh:

BigFish
02-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I thought the same thing CS but didn't want to ruffle any feathers. I can appreciate the humor in alot of the plugs.....and there should be a category or a different contest for a humorous plug.....but I also think in the future it should be strictly adhered to that they must be fish catchers/working plugs.

All beautiful craftsmanship on that table for sure!:kewl:

Karl F
02-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Well.. yes... I'm loving the folk art the bunker head plug, Awsome, starters, but I know excactly what you mean, I agree. two categories, would probably be better.
The way I read the rules was that is should be an actual "working" type plug, with a unique take on it.
But, like you say, I have no issue with the others, I love them, and there is room for all on the table, and your idea has merit.

ProfessorM
02-13-2006, 12:39 PM
I could agree with that. I was kind of thinking the same thing when the bag's started to empty. I knew right away I was out classed, not that I disagree with the outcome by any means I was truely overmatched and outclassed. I did spend some time test swimming mine though. Good food for thought. p.

Diggin Jiggin
02-13-2006, 12:55 PM
My entry is already in my plug bag.

Canalman
02-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Well... I don't know if I do agree although I might be persuaded....

I think you just take it as far as you want to.... and how many of those plugs looked like they actually wouldn't swim?? The head plug, might not swim but it would probably drift like a fish head does right?? The shark would probably swim although perhaps not perfectly... my plug was mean't to be a spook or a glider... I'm not throwing it in the water but I bet I could get it to work. The numbskull valentine to tagger would probably dart like a darter. I think we're taking it a little too far here because next year, if we had 2 categories, we'd need 10 prizes and you'd probably see the same types of plugs... the only way I can see it, but I still think it's splitting hairs is to do a lathe table and a carved table. But I don't think we should separate them... I put 5 hours into my plug and I know some others put comparable ammounts of time into theirs. I think its just what you're willing to put into it. That why they have the most likely to catch a cow category. But I'm rambling as usual, and hopefully this didn't come across as a defensive rant, it wasn't mean't that way. I'd be willing to do it either way, but if we split it up... we should be able to enter both contests? :huh:

-Dave

gone fishin
02-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Two catagories -- I agree. that will allow all to explore their own avenue and do even an better comical or realistic plug for the fest. I thought the rules called for a best example of a plug that you would actually fish. :laugha: :bc:

Canalman
02-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Maybe we will have to go that way... hope Johns ready to shell out 2X the ca$h on prizes :shocked:

ProfessorM
02-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Dave I figure it is a good way get you off the top of the mountain :behead: but you would just probably win both contest's anyway.:hihi: I really don't care either way I just did it for fun.:cheers:

fishaholic18
02-13-2006, 03:44 PM
I thought that's what "Most likely to catch a cow" was for?
I think that if guys are concerned about working plugs winning, they would have voted for them.
Personally, I think all the prizes should be Twinkies...:hihi:

MAC
02-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Personally, I think all the prizes should be Twinkies...:hihi:

I agree. That is what we should do next year. :pop:

Tagger
02-13-2006, 04:19 PM
It was alot of fun .. Surf Hooty is safe from harm ,, all is well ..I want a corn cob plug .. Somethings gotta be said for thinking outside the box.. That corn cob plug stood alone in outside the box catergory .. If they had a Sanford and Son catergory I'd run away with that .. I really don't know what the best fish catcher there would be,, How would you judge that ? guessing game .. If it was bluefish I'd throw my darter.. I say yes to more food prizes !!!!

thefishingfreak
02-13-2006, 04:51 PM
it's all good.
i don't think anyone cared about the prizes. although i for one could use the amazon tool supplies the most:D .
maybey there should be no prizes,,, only plaques, or all sponsor stuff of equal value?
everyone gets the bragging rights for there catogory, and a twinky.
they were all voted on, as the catagories were presented to the voters.

Karl F
02-13-2006, 04:56 PM
1)Two Categories
2)Dump the cash prizes

Twinkies Rule!

thefishingfreak
02-13-2006, 04:56 PM
all equal/no prizes in each catagory would get more people to enter also.
some guys didn't even put there plugs out.

you put a white danny with a pink stripe loaded with grain and dust in the finish and i bet it would win cow catcher..because it would actually get fished.. right..

Diggin Jiggin
02-13-2006, 05:03 PM
You guys are going to run into trouble trying to judge what would really take fish. Sometimes looks can be deceiving. Take a needle, a ballerina, a howdy, a pencil popper. They are only going to fish as good as the guy fishing them.

Maybe we should bring some fishing into this. Maybe bring the plugs back a year later, see what last years winners look like after being fished for the year, maybe drool over some pics of fish taken with em. I want to see some of these beauties mangled, stripped of paint and epoxy, covered with tooth scars :hihi:

If I don't lose mine, I'll bring it back to next years 'fest.

Flaptail
02-13-2006, 05:04 PM
Well, the shark thing... I mean come on, nice work, lots a time but really now? Would you actually be walking the surfline casting that thing to bass and bluefish? Not. We all know what a real plug menat to fish and catch fish is, it wasn't the shark or the Half a pogie. Who cares if they actually get a monetary or gift cert type prize? A plaque would do it or better yet a certificate like John made up is good enough for me. Two divisions, certificates for "artsy stuff" and real plugs each. Only mkes sense and yes lets bring in the cooler full of water to see what swims and what don't. Don't misunderstand me, all the stuff was great/ Iloved the pogie thing and laughed my ass off but it was a different genre of "plug".

castn4bass
02-13-2006, 05:06 PM
I also felt outclassed as soon as I saw some entries! Man there was some fantastic stuff entered! Some were obvious gags,Most of what I saw was fishable, hopefully guys voted realistically.Weather or not any of them actually get used in the suds or not is another question. I didn't get to stick around for the drawings but I hope whoever won my entry in the raffle uses it for what it was intended for.... to catch fish! Post some pix when that happens!

fishaholic18
02-13-2006, 05:08 PM
I think it makes it more fun with the gag stuff.
Let the voters decide which wins.
I say leave it as is, but more Twinkies.:uhoh:

capesams
02-13-2006, 05:22 PM
traditonal/common/run of the mill/every day user's = swimmer's,popper's,needle fish,darter's etc.

verses

a snake,whale,rabbit,gerble,banna,tree root,tootsie pop,pile of sawdust,snow ball and sticking hook's on it.

there's a big difference between the two that's plain to see even to a newbe.It take's the same amount of time to make both granted, but the two are miles apart....prize's should be simple,,certifacate's all round or a big smooch from the boss.

castn4bass
02-13-2006, 05:30 PM
How about a great big trophy, to be handed down from year to year!!

Backbeach Jake
02-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Does anyone else think that the prizes are a bit extravagant? I'm thinking two catagories Fish catchers = Twinkies and Works of Art = Ho-hos. I mean it's all for the site, right? I don't mean to insult anyone's work, it was all freakin' magnificent.

Canalman
02-13-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm a little hurt... John and I tried really hard to make this thing great and I thought it went really well. I also tried really hard on my plug, I thought the prizes made it even more fun (i'd feel the same way if I didn't get any votes). Remember, this IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN, lets not analyze this until its not fun anymore like we do to fishing every year on this site. Rest assured that I won't be planning this thing next year so you can all do it the way you want. AND I would throw my plug into a blitz of bass and I think it would take a fish. Sorry it had to come to this and sorry you guys didn't have fun with the contest :(.

Canalman
02-13-2006, 05:44 PM
oh and Bruce helped too :hee:

fishaholic18
02-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Classic...Plugfest Flame Wars!:humpty:

Backbeach Jake
02-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Please don't take this personal, Canalman. We're just bouncing ideas around. Some good, some notso. For my money, your plug received what it merited-tops. And yes, I believe that it would get slammed. Thankyou for all the hard work not to mention being shackled to that table all day. Ya did better than good.:claps:

Flaptail
02-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Please don't take this personal, Canalman. We're just bouncing ideas around. Some good, some notso. For my money, your plug received what it merited-tops. And yes, I believe that it would get slammed. Thankyou for all the hard work not to mention being shackled to that table all day. Ya did better than good.:claps:

Yes indeed Fred I agree totally. And this is not meant to be flame war, just opinions. Canalman, you did a wonderful job and we all appreciate it and yes your plug would get eaten, would be a shame after all the work to see it get messed up, but it would get eaten no doubt. I am sure you can see both sides. :usd:

BigFish
02-13-2006, 06:28 PM
Dave...you and Slip did a fantastic job and all was wonderful. Just folks kicking their .02 cents around. I agree with what folks are saying and I could go either way on this.....its all about the fun right? Leave it status quo and give plaques, trophies or certificates is fine with me......its all about the fun, the light hearted competition and y#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g it up with you guys for an afternoon. Someone said it right when they said folks can and do judge for themselves.....I am good with the way it is.:btu:

eastendlu
02-13-2006, 06:45 PM
If i can put my .02 into this being there for the first time.I liked all the work and since we are all builders we know the work that goes into these things.I noticed that there were many categories and so many different winners .As for the prizes to me its up to who sets this up to decide what he wants to award.I was looking at all those plugs all works of art ,did anyone notice that kids eyes looking at them ,i did and i don't think he was thinking of anything but WOW.Just the look in a childs face is enough reward but we are adults and its a friendly competition amongts peers.There is nothing more than a friendly competition to push the envelope of creative thinking wherever it make take things.I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how some of you guys come out with the things you make.I can't break out of the box.

BigFish
02-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Here, here EE Lou!:kewl:

Slipknot
02-13-2006, 06:47 PM
a snake,whale,rabbit,gerble,banna,tree root,tootsie pop,pile of sawdust,snow ball and sticking hook's on it.

Awwww, ya ruined my idea for next year ;)
With all the talk of gray squirrels swimming in the canal, I thought of making a squirrel plug next year:hf1:

OK, I'll go back to reading this bizarre thread.

whatever you guys want to do I guess, but like I said before, afterwards all the plugs are mine to keep :D

Squid kids Dad
02-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Canalman.1st off my hats to you..You did a great job!!!.I agree with BBJ...They are just kicking around some ideas...Its hard to improve on an already EXCELLENT Plug fest...I dont build plugs , but it was awesome looking at them all...As far as prizes go..Well I think a certificate that you hang on the mancave wall would be just fine.....Let the money go to this excellent site...Its all in fun....Just my .02 cents

Flaptail
02-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Awwww, ya ruined my idea for next year ;)
With all the talk of gray squirrels swimming in the canal, I thought of making a squirrel plug next year:hf1:

OK, I'll go back to reading this bizarre thread.

whatever you guys want to do I guess, but like I said before, afterwards all the plugs are mine to keep :D
UH UH Slip, ixnay on the quirrelskay. We got big black squirrels all of a sudden down here in Falmouth, Damdest things you ever saw bigger than the gray ones and a little meaner too. The Goodwill Park area is loaded with them.

Canalman
02-13-2006, 07:02 PM
I wasn't trying to get the sympathy votes here :spin:

I just wish someone had said something beforehand. I don't need prizes I just hate to see something I call fun being picked apart. I think I may have come across like I was mad or peesed even but I'm not. However everyone wants it to go next year will be the way it goes. I had a great time anyway and I hope that doesn't get lost in this. :)

Carry on...
-Dave

Canalman
02-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Hey Larry empty ya pms

BigFish
02-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Empty Dave...sorry!:tm:

ThrowingTimber
02-13-2006, 07:55 PM
You guys did a great job. I think the fact that there are other categories built in to the whole thing besides best of show levels out the playing field. :buds:

Slipknot
02-13-2006, 08:12 PM
OK, from what I gather, here is my observations.

1. Next year we need 2 different catagories to judge by = One for serious actual fishable plugs that one would use in their plugbag. and Two- a novelty catagory for plugs that are dreamt up and brought to life by imagination and artistry whether they are handcarved or lathe turned, with crazy paintjobs or realistic ones. Anyone can enter a plug even in both catagories as long as they are present at the plugapalooza.

2. Then we need a long tub of water to test swim the creations in.

3. The prizes are forgone for simple bragging rights and a certificate, therefore there will be no entrance fee in order to submit a plug.

4. The winner from the past year has to organize the whole plugfest the next year :lasso: :uhuh: :p :wave: :nopain:

5. note to self not to eat Flaptails kelbassa next year as it might contain some kind of black squirrel creature meat :sick:

6. maybe more people can step up and help with the planning of the event and we can have it somewhere larger next year as it looks to have outgrown the club where it's been the past 3 years. I have someplace in mind already. I like the freeflow of the plugfest as people can mingle and talk plugs with others that have the same addiction. This year the tools didn't get used as the event has grown past that part of it I guess.

Carry on, I think I'm tired, long day today

Slipknot
02-13-2006, 08:14 PM
You guys did a great job. I think the fact that there are other categories built in to the whole thing besides best of show levels out the playing field. :buds:

Ya Vic, you took that catching cow catagory from me this year , but next year I"LL BE BACK :devil:

PNG
02-13-2006, 08:22 PM
As a side bar we need an oxygen tent for BandsawEddy when he goes all woosy:spin:

Maybe the XrayBandit Doc could lend a hand:btu:

Striperknight
02-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Why have a another table full of plugs that will go in your bag? The whole rest of that room is that.

Push the your limits, grow as a builder and have fun with this contest.
I had a blast making the "hunk of wood", and a bigger one looking at that table on Sat. dave/Canalman - - - I had fun.

Yes I plan to fish the bunker head. I created it to fill a niche. I'm gonna have to have someone whip me up one of those chipmonk skin bags to carry it in.:hf1:
I've gotten offers to field test it and request make copies of it. :rotfl:
Only time will tell.

capesams
02-13-2006, 10:00 PM
this is how thing's get turned around and people read differently into something that's been printed......everything about the fest was an is just fab..everyone did a fantastic job hands down..things went very well as alway's..........the subject is......."on real working plug's" as stated in the rules....if people want to do something different like making a pair of hooter's with hooks thats all fine an well, but something like that should be placed on another table where their to far out of the box thinking belong's. not in the middle of true working every day user plugs are...this isn't taking the fun out of the contest,,just keeping it in the parameters of the set rule's.....I see two different group's of people working here..one want's something that truly works[standard boring same old stuff] and the other that like's truly off / out of the same old style's...the two won't mix like oil an water....so what will happen is the old gang won't enter for the most part and thing's will start to fall apart...so to solve the hatfield and Mccoy dipute....have two table's...simple...everyone that wants to enter something WILL say I want this on this table.....folks can vote on both table's or one, whatever floats their boat....everyone's happy once again.

Skitterpop
02-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I envy you builders and your comraderie.
From the outside looking in this Fest was awesome.

Don`t let the politics of winning and losing ruin what was a wonderful event.

You guys rock! :pop:

thefishingfreak
02-13-2006, 10:29 PM
you wanna win most likely to catch a cow? bring it on:smokin: but your gunna have to beat victor

numbskull
02-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Lots of valid points here. First, though, let me say that I felt Canalman's plug was a deserving winner based on gut feeling alone..........if I had to pick the one plug in the show I'd want to own, that was it. The shape, paint, detail, and imagination were all first rate. It epitomized much of the reasons we like plugs. Last year it would have been Slip's Tiger needle (which is still the most perfect plug I have ever seen). Both plugs are too pretty to fish, but I think both could be made to work just fine (think of Canalman's plug zigzagging/rolling on the surface, struggling to stay upright, with that big tail flapping................BOOM). On the other hand, I agree that something designed for a laugh, like what I made, shouldn't ( but inevitably does) steal votes from guys who make a serious effort to build a real plug.

So, considering the issues, I'd favor reducing the value of the prizes, maybe making separate practical and whimsical categories, and narrowing the spectrum by specifying a type of plug (i.e., a needlefish, or popper, or darter, etc) for each year's contest so we are all building our own variations of the same thing. That would level the playing field a bit while still leaving ample room for imagination, innovation, and, most importantly, fun.

Redsoxticket
02-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Scout a location with access to a swimming pool for the plug testing along with the gym for the actual plugfest at the same facility. Those that work for the school department may help achieve such location.
What do you think of this idea ?

OK, from what I gather, here is my observations.

6. maybe more people can step up and help with the planning of the event and we can have it somewhere larger next year as it looks to have outgrown the club where it's been the past 3 years. I have someplace in mind already. I like the freeflow of the plugfest as people can mingle and talk plugs with others that have the same addiction. This year the tools didn't get used as the event has grown past that part of it I guess.

NIB
02-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Capesams last post rings true for alot of what goes on n this wonderfull thing al gore invented.
He was mearly stating perhaps there could be seversl classifications.which i thought there where.
Some want to make furniture/art an some like to make plugs i can/will fish with.
There are many wonderfull plug builders thats obvious.
One should only expect with all the painstakin details that goes into a top plug that some ego's may be wounded with the suggestion of altering a contest after the event.No matter how u put it.happens all the time. Our brains seem to read between the lines.Looking at the work u guys did its a shame there has to be only one winner.
The way i read into it Steve tried his best to lay out some simple alterations in next yrs event an threw it up there for discussion.
Perhaps twinkies for all is a good option.with a simple raffle for tool or sponsor gifts.Hard to swallow putting lots o time in on a work of art an gettin a box o twinkies that get obliterated with a bottle o beer in celebration.I like the idea of a contest.prizes don't have to be much.its the braggin rights.If I had won I'm sure i would be humble.:hihi:
Look out Freak.U only won because i wasn't there.
lets try not to blow this all out of proportion.

numbskull
02-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Category 1 - Most likely to be found in NIB's bag
Category 2 - Least likely to be found in NIB's bag
Raffle - one ticket for each entrant (encourages participation)
It could work

Slipknot
02-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Next year the plugs will remain in the bags with your name inside it untill all have brought them or till noon whichever comes first. How's that sound?

Another thought I realized too late was that last year your plug entry fee was your plug itself being raffled off to help with the cost of the prizes, this year the prize money all came from the door entrance fee.
Maybe next year we can change things around a bit and this discussion will help to determine how it will go if we have a plugfest 2007.

Numbskull, you're too kind

NIB
02-14-2006, 07:41 AM
Category 1 - Most likely to be found in NIB's bag
Category 2 - Least likely to be found in NIB's bag
Raffle - one ticket for each entrant (encourages participation)
It could work

I have some big bags.
U better bring plenty o prizes.

NIB
02-14-2006, 07:44 AM
Lots of valid points here. First, though, let me say that I felt Canalman's plug was a deserving winner based on gut feeling alone..........if I had to pick the one plug in the show I'd want to own, that was it. The shape, paint, detail, and imagination were all first rate. It epitomized much of the reasons we like plugs. Last year it would have been Slip's Tiger needle (which is still the most perfect plug I have ever seen). Both plugs are too pretty to fish, but I think both could be made to work just fine (think of Canalman's plug zigzagging/rolling on the surface, struggling to stay upright, with that big tail flapping................BOOM). On the other hand, I agree that something designed for a laugh, like what I made, shouldn't ( but inevitably does) steal votes from guys who make a serious effort to build a real plug.

So, considering the issues, I'd favor reducing the value of the prizes, maybe making separate practical and whimsical categories, and narrowing the spectrum by specifying a type of plug (i.e., a needlefish, or popper, or darter, etc) for each year's contest so we are all building our own variations of the same thing. That would level the playing field a bit while still leaving ample room for imagination, innovation, and, most importantly, fun.

For a Numbskull ur not as stupid as I look.Should I be worried we think alike.Or should I just say "I like Numbskull's Idea".

IFG
02-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Firstly Slip, Canalman you guys as usual put together a first class gathering. In which the goal of the SB plugfest was met knowledge was shared, and a great time was had by all. As far as the contest goes cape sams makes a good point, and what everybody's been saying about two catagories makes alot of sense. I understand the considerable cost of the prizes to the site. However, I think everyone can agree that there was one prize we all wanted..... that box of twinkies, so i propose we change all the prizes to twinkies that way we can cheaply acomplish a two catagory system and keep the spirit of the contest alive and well fed.

Happy Turning
Pete

Flaptail
02-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Firstly Slip, Canalman you guys as usual put together a first class gathering. In which the goal of the SB plugfest was met knowledge was shared, and a great time was had by all. As far as the contest goes cape sams makes a good point, and what everybody's been saying about two catagories makes alot of sense. I understand the considerable cost of the prizes to the site. However, I think everyone can agree that there was one prize we all wanted..... that box of twinkies, so i propose we change all the prizes to twinkies that way we can cheaply acomplish a two catagory system and keep the spirit of the contest alive and well fed.

Happy Turning
Pete
Well said and by the way speaking of two categories, did you know they make chocolate twinkies as well? MMMMM.........