View Full Version : SWE Fishing Fair recap

Pete_G
02-18-2006, 09:01 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to all the people that come out for this show as well as the SWE staff that put in LONG hours to make it happen. It's always the highlight of my winter.

It doesn't take much to get me fired up about getting out on the water, but hanging out with the best plug builders, fly tyers, rod builders, and hardcore fisherman that come down to Newport really gets me inspired to fish even harder in the coming season. The people and social atmosphere that is sometimes lost in the big shows is what makes this one special for me.

We'll be aiming to make the show a little bit bigger and definitely better in the coming years without losing the things that make it different.

Hope to see everyone again next year. :kewl:

spence
02-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Just got back from Dallas...

Did I miss something? :wall:

-spence

tattoobob
02-18-2006, 10:07 PM
I think it will be the best show I go to all year, it was great my wife and I had a great time, The needle fish talk was an outstanding talk I also got to meet alot of guys I just talked to on the internet. there was plenty of time to talk to all the venders and plug builders. I learned alot. it was a great take. and well worth the drive. I don't think you have to change much Pete.

Thanks Bob

jim sylvester
02-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Pete,
once again you and the boys put on a great show... super turnout..
makes me really want to get out on the water as well..
the countdown has begun!!!!!

basswipe
02-19-2006, 07:07 AM
Had a good time.

Always good seeing Pt.Jude Joe and his brother.

afterhours
02-19-2006, 07:58 AM
great job by the edge crew! a good time by all! nice to put a few faces to names, don.

jbuck
02-19-2006, 08:15 AM
It was great to see a bunch of old and some faces.

Also great to meet some of the people the site.

I have learned somthing new from the tyers each year

Jeff

shadow
02-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Pete, thanks for putting on a good show, sometimes smaller is better. was able to talk w/ some of the guys without the big show interruptions. It was good meeting don and dennis.

Pete_G
02-19-2006, 12:29 PM
was able to talk w/ some of the guys without the big show interruptions. It was good meeting don and dennis.

That's exactly what we'll make sure never goes away. It's what most people mention when they talk about why they like the format better then most other shows. Tough to beat being able to sit down with McKenna at a round table to learn how to rig Sluggos or see Steve Farrar tie one of his amazing squid patterns or giant Holo Flys at point blank range.

Chris in Mass
02-19-2006, 07:13 PM
That's exactly what we'll make sure never goes away. It's what most people mention when they talk about why they like the format better then most other shows. Tough to beat being able to sit down with McKenna at a round table to learn how to rig Sluggos or see Steve Farrar tie one of his amazing squid patterns or giant Holo Flys at point blank range.

Pete, Probably because you fish with him it's no big deal, but my favorite sit down at the show was being being able to rifle through Mike's (The Iron One) plug bags, wading belt and table full of his tackle. I always shoot the bull with Mike at the shop. However, the discussion goes to a whole other level when he has his gear in front of him. I got there early and for awhile it was just Mike and I.

I was thinking on the ride home, that this was not a traditional show as most would think. It was all about showcasing talent in a way where it wasn't uncomfortable for the experts and the folks who sat with them. Being able to purchase gear was like a nice by-product. Also liked the vintage gear table. :claps:

I had a fantastic time and I selfishly wish you luck in your drive keep this format and mojo for many years to come. :kewl:

Mr. Sandman
02-20-2006, 11:24 AM
Caught the last couple hours and thought it was great. Finally met a few guys I have only talked to via Email and PM's.
There were some excellent fly tyers there for sure. Some of those squid patterns were amazing. Great works of plug art by Afterhours, Habs and some sweet Seawolf rods on display.
My wife would like to go to this event and see some of those flies being tied. Next yeat I'll target the event and take her.
I'll have to pay a trip to the new shop one of these days when I pass by.

Who won the kayak?

tattoobob
02-20-2006, 09:17 PM
My wife and I are still talking about the talk DZ gave on the needle fish. It left a lasting impression. I can't wait till June now when I go to Needlefish Island.

Pete_G
02-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Caught the last couple hours and thought it was great. Finally met a few guys I have only talked to via Email and PM's.
There were some excellent fly tyers there for sure. Some of those squid patterns were amazing. Great works of plug art by Afterhours, Habs and some sweet Seawolf rods on display.
My wife would like to go to this event and see some of those flies being tied. Next yeat I'll target the event and take her.
I'll have to pay a trip to the new shop one of these days when I pass by.

Who won the kayak?

We'll be sending out emails in a day or so to the winners and probably adding a list to the website too.

basswipe
02-20-2006, 10:59 PM
I envy the person who won that Habs rod.That thing is sweet. Everything in the raffle was sweet.

tattoobob
02-21-2006, 06:34 PM
I was already thinking of what reel to put on it, but I didn't win it

Pete_G
02-21-2006, 06:38 PM
You guys can still get in the Van Staal reel raffle. You'll have to worry about what rod to put a reel on instead of the other way around then. Surprisingly few people have signed up for the May 20th grand opening VS raffle. Just stop by the shop to sign up if you haven't already.

macojoe
02-21-2006, 06:56 PM
I saw this awhile ago and planed to go, but forgot :smash: I have had so much going on.

Man I love them squid flies!! I like to give them a try for the Fluke!!