View Full Version : \Deep-diving plugs from shore ?

fcap60
02-19-2006, 07:13 AM
I'm just curious if anyone has been sucessful using deep-diving plugs
from the surf. I looking for a few alternatives to getting down deep (close to the bottom) and I have some of those deep-lipped swimming plugs that I want to experiment with. I figure that I can get them down deep, then let them float back up a little.

I imagine they would work off a sandy beach where the lip would bump the bottom and kick-up a little sand. Problably work over rocky areas as well....and of course, I'm willing to loose a few plugs in the process

any suggestions ?

ThrowingTimber
02-20-2006, 02:35 PM
bucktail. :btu:

numbskull
02-20-2006, 04:36 PM
This story may interest you. 15+ years ago (before the seal infestation) I used to run my 20ft Seacraft to Tuckernuck and beach fish at night. I showed up there one Oct night with a bucket of eels, to find several Nantucket sharpies solid into fish. Confident of success I tossed an eel into the hole they were fishing, and then stood in disbelief while they caught fish after fish (15-30Lbs) both sides of me, and my eel had nary a tap. Eventually, I swallowed my pride and walked up to a guy unhooking a fish to ask what he was using. Turns out they were fishing Rapala Slivers, with a slightly ground down lip and loaded tail. They had no action, just dragged/bounced along the bottom, and fish would hammer them as they reached the shelf of the beach. I couldn't duplicate that action with the plugs I had (including needlefish) and the bass ignored the eels, even when allowed to sit right on the bottom. If those guys hadn't been there I'd have fished the place with eels and left confident nothing was doing. So your idea is worth pursuing, even if the needlefish crowd thinks they know better.

Christian
02-20-2006, 05:29 PM
ive used the slivers...
and some of the smaller rebels before with the big lip
they work pretty good, but i havent got any substantial fish on them.

Pete_G
02-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Freshwater bass guys love to use diving plugs and bang them off the bottom and rocks. It works, and I think the same applies to stripers. Although I park more then a few on the bottom, I like to scrape the bottom with bottle plugs in a few spots. It definitely works.

Zeno
02-21-2006, 04:06 AM
I'm just curious if anyone has been sucessful using deep-diving plugs
from the surf. I looking for a few alternatives to getting down deep (close to the bottom) and I have some of those deep-lipped swimming plugs that I want to experiment with. I figure that I can get them down deep, then let them float back up a little.

I imagine they would work off a sandy beach where the lip would bump the bottom and kick-up a little sand. Problably work over rocky areas as well....and of course, I'm willing to loose a few plugs in the process

any suggestions ?

They work really well in places were you have deep water in proximity to the shore.Tips of the jetties and inlets come to mind.Musso trollers jr ,beachmaster cowboys or Danny deep divers and Conrad's can be used quite effectively in these areas.The key is to have a good current movement in order to force a plug down during the retrieve.As far as bumping in the sand or rocks ,I never found it to work for me

lurch
02-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Freshwater bass guys love to use diving plugs and bang them off the bottom and rocks. It works, and I think the same applies to stripers. Although I park more then a few on the bottom, I like to scrape the bottom with bottle plugs in a few spots. It definitely works.

My crawfish bomber crankbait = many many smallmouth bass at the Quabbin res :)

Pete_G
02-21-2006, 08:45 AM
My crawfish bomber crankbait = many many smallmouth bass at the Quabbin res :)

The spot where I catch dragging the bottom usually has a lot of baby lobsters crawling around.

Raven
02-21-2006, 09:04 AM
As far as bumping in the sand or rocks ,
I never found it to work for me

the bumping (knocking) of two rocks together.....whether your standing on a mountaintop or under the sea..... that sound: travels further than anything else... it's why the swiss people invented the yodileyeeeeuuuu shout... easier than carrying around rocks...

it's the sound that lure rattles are supposed to imitate.
its the scurrying of creatures looking for food on
a gravel (pebble) bottom......if you take sand and drop it into your
other hand it makes very little sound...but gravel
goes clackity clack clack..

fish locate prey from hearing that sound....after it travels over to their skin to their bladder and over to their internal ear.

fcap60
02-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Great responses and thank you.

Pete G. - i have a bunch of the OLDER gibbs bottles, mostly 2oz size and they only get down a little bit, but not to the bottom. How are you dragging bottom with them - have you modified the plug or are you using SS bottles - just curious ?

Frank

Pete_G
02-21-2006, 12:46 PM
I like the SS bottle and I do put heavier hooks on them along with using them in a fairly shallow area. Even so they don't dive that deep. 4 to 8 feet maybe? Mostly I just tug it along till I feel it graze the bottom then I just let it float up, then repeat. Much like a crankbait in freshwater, which is what I grew up doing since I lived on a great bass pond.

You want to part with any of those older Gibbs? :hee: They're a classic example of "they don't make 'em like they used to".

fcap60
02-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Pete:

PM sent