View Full Version : FLW Saltwater Striper Trail

basswipe
02-19-2006, 12:38 PM
http://www.flwoutdoors.com/article.cfm?id=143876

Good?Bad?What does everyone think about this?

striprman
02-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Cool, a Wal- Mart striper tournament. Sign up.

Pete_G
02-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Well, it's sponsored by Wal-mart, so that kind of sucks.

I'm guessing it will be a boat only game. The priority registration for certain boat owners is a little weird. It's certainly not rigging a tournament, but it's almost like stacking the deck. What if the best angler around drives a Sea Craft? Will there be a big push for catch and release as in most of their other tournaments? It'll be interesting, I'm sure of that. Put $500,000 on the line and it can't help but be interesting.

tattoobob
02-19-2006, 03:10 PM
I believe it is a hybrid/ land locked contest, not like the Red fish tourny.
I don't like Walmart at all

StripinLine
02-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Ya, Thats what I saw....Not off/In shore stripers (saltwater), But inpoundment(freshwater) stripedbass

shadow
02-19-2006, 04:34 PM
I think if you read the link it says norteast anglers that to me means saltwater.The flw does bring big money,but it will also bring added presure to the fishery.A c&r contest might be a good thing.

Skitterpop
02-19-2006, 05:31 PM
More dead bass even with C&R more pressure to spots
more spot closure possibilities more trash
more damage to environment

more more more more :hee:

tattoobob
02-19-2006, 05:44 PM
I just read the link and it seems as it is the Alantic coast, I wish we could some how stop this, (270) 252-1000 maybe we can call and voice our opinions.

slapshot
02-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Why would you want to stop it? I think this is going to be a professional tour, not a bunch of worm boxes on the beach. I'll bet the entry fee will be way too expensive for your average joe.

As far as too much pressure, the striper population is well documented as being very abundant. (Please don't read into that, that I want to increase mortality, etc).

I don't see how a pro tour would be a bad thing. There already is one in the ASA. A lot of bass and blues are killed in the month long MV tournament, and not many say that should end.....

Basser
02-19-2006, 06:42 PM
I agree with Slapshot. It will be very well run and may be the only way to have the corporate help we all need to enhance the Striper population along the East coast.

outnumbered
02-19-2006, 06:58 PM
Corporate = Greed and profit. When was the last time you saw a corporation that cared about anything other than the bottom line. Once upon a time there were numerous well documented amounts of Striped Bass and we (fisherman) decimated the fishery. Didn't we learn. Now that it (striper population) is back do we really want a bunch of greedy corporate types profiting at he expense of the striper population. :yak: :yak:

C&R or not there will be a kill rate and I second what Indanite and Tattoobob say.

Wallmart s**ks, Support the local small tackle shop owners.

redneck24
02-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Corporate = Greed and profit. When was the last time you saw a corporation that cared about anything other than the bottom line. Once upon a time there were numerous well documented amounts of Striped Bass and we (fisherman) decimated the fishery. Didn't we learn. Now that it (striper population) is back do we really want a bunch of greedy corporate types profiting at he expense of the striper population. :yak: :yak:

C&R or not there will be a kill rate and I second what Indanite and Tattoobob say.

Wallmart s**ks, Support the local small tackle shop owners.

well said.

Basser
02-19-2006, 07:23 PM
Do you think that Walmart and the boating industry would make more or less profit in the tackle business if the tournaments were designed to decimate the Striped Bass population? It has to be good for the recreational fishery. The people that fish the tournaments would be out fishing on the same days in the same boats under less regulation without the tournaments.

Skitterpop
02-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Are you with Walmart?

Skip N
02-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Heck i like Walmart. I dont buy much tackle there but walmart is a great store for many things. Why all the walmart haters?? A fishing tournament sponsered by Walmart will be nothing less than top notch. After all the Walmart name is on the line if it's run half ass. Why would they risk thier reputation by running a crappy tournament and killing tons of fish?

Skip N
02-19-2006, 11:16 PM
[QUOTEC&R or not there will be a kill rate and I second what Indanite and Tattoobob say.QUOTE]

Should we also ban all the local tourneys in NE as well? Whats the difference between the walmart one and say the MV derby? :huh: A kill rate is just the same with all tournys. Fish will be killed in any tourny you have. Not just ones sponsored by Walmart

Pete_G
02-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Heck i like Walmart. I dont buy much tackle there but walmart is a great store for many things. Why all the walmart haters?? A fishing tournament sponsered by Walmart will be nothing less than top notch. After all the Walmart name is on the line if it's run half ass. Why would they risk thier reputation by running a crappy tournament and killing tons of fish?

In a few words, outsourcing and reverse price setting. But it's a lot more complex then that, and there's a lot of misinformation on both sides of the Walmart arguement online.

It's a proven fact that Walmart pressures US companies to shift production overseas. They won't flatly deny it if pressed. Not illegal afaik, but definitely not good for the US.

These articles seemed fairly unbiased:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/secrets/shots.html

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html?partner=rediff

Walmart is a VERY smart company and I'm all for capitalism, but they're shady and I don't really feel they are helping the US win in the modern global economy. They often offer convenience and good, low priced products, but with a hidden cost. The loss of American jobs while powering rising Asian economies. They take our money and jobs and send them overseas in the name of the low prices we enjoy. It's a personal call if you wish to support a company that operates this way.

This is just the negatives on the national and global scale. Then you have the more well known local issues Walmart creates such as killing small business. Personally I feel the small businesses operating near Walmart need to innovate and evolve more, but at the same time the above articles show why it's so hard to do so.

Slinger
02-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Just because we only recently registered on this site is no reason to belittle our inteligence or opinions. Basser has valid points, if you want to help the bass and make it a gamefish there would be no better way than to have a mega corporate sponsor on our side. There are still far to many questions to be answered to form an objective opinion as of yet. Will they be catch and release? Will they limit the areas open to fish? What kind of officialing will be in place? And many more. While I`m not a fan of tournaments I don`t see this as having a disasterous effect on the fishing.
Slinger

Raven
02-20-2006, 06:46 AM
the dude (guy or gal) who coined the term "look for the hook"
(designed logo) should be flogged with wreckless abandon....:af:

next the fish populations of largemouth bass ,walleye,redfish,and kingfish
need to be studied to see how these tournaments have affected
their over all health
....to see how hybrid striped bass would prosper in comparison to that information.

when they say: "in response to over whelming demand..."

what they're really saying is :
because of enormous profit potential!

and thats from Maine to Virginia ...not the reverse. morons

I think:think: the striped bass hybrid is the most under utilized food fish
North America has ever seen and it should be introduced into more fresh water
lakes nationwide because of how prolific it is... IMO

and agreeing with Pete...it's all about boats...advertising boats-->
commercials for boats...seeing their boats catching fish in the north east
instead of only down south is their goal....

as stated :hydra sports ,well craft, and sea swirl boat owners will have priority entry...
thats a major unfair manuever right off the bat... and geared specifically towards generating new sales..

those sponsers will be donating one or more of their boats for the winner to further
their own advertising campaigns and then write them off later on.

it's also about walmart preparing to to battle with bass pro and cabelas move's on the chessboard.

slapshot
02-20-2006, 07:54 AM
I would never shop for fishing equipment at Wal Mart. They just don't carry what I need. But as far as corporate greed? Come on. Any corporations responsibility is to generate revenue for its shareholders.

Wal Mart donates tons of its (greedy) profits to charities. I have had cub scout projects and activites entirely funded and items donated by my local Wal Mart. They are incredibly generous.

Maybe I have the wrong impression, but won't this tour be very similair to the one that is on ESPN2 for red fish? If you look at the guys in those tournaments, they are pros. There is a ton of money in sponsorship tied up in the events. I have a feeling that nobody on this board would even fish the event.

As far as a kill rate.. Even if it was a weekend long event, do you think the number of striped bass killed would be more or less than the bycatch from one commercial dragger?

Pete_G
02-20-2006, 08:10 AM
I actually think it could be very good for stripers. Maybe. I used to fish real hard for largmouths as a kid so I was very into the whole tournament scene.

To say that freshwater bass are treated with respect and honor is an understatement. Dead fish even had penalties at weigh in if I remember correctly. Catch and release is a BIG part of most of the other FLW tournament trails. Most of the other "gamefish" are treated very differently then stripers. Partly because they don't taste as good...

The big challenge is having a livewell big enough to hold a 50# striper comfortably, lol. I think that will be the main stumbling block involved in a catch and release striper tourney. I suspect it will be a traditional striper tourney, i.e. dead fish because maintaining live fish is just too hard to do.

Basser
02-20-2006, 08:23 AM
The publicity surrounding these events (no doubt that there will be TV coverage at some point) will serve to help not only WalMart sales but those of local shops as well. I personally know a few individuals that owned shops during the BASS tournament boom that would have earned a lesser living in other endevours at the time. They did it by participating in the events and seizing the opportunity and offering more expertise for the tournament angler than that available at WalMart. That expertise then flows down to the weekend angler in terms of better tackle choices. I would love to see local teams sponsored by SWE and other local business. A "tournament tactics and techniques" seminar at next years SWE show!

The semi-controlled entry to owners of certain boats was started years ago on FLW and it irks me abit. The early FLW model was to allow a separate bonus prize to owners of cerain model boats that was not taken from the general pool. These events are difficult to initiate because there is a desire for limited entries in order to exercise control on tournament size. I think they will establish smaller trails over time that will serve as qualifying minor leagues so to speak.

BTW I don't think I have ever purchased tackle at WalMart. But, if these things are going to happen, and they will, the FLW organization is very qualified to do it right.

beamie
02-20-2006, 09:06 AM
I wonder how they will run it.

You see those redfish tourneys on TV and there is a slot size limit. Often they catch too big and have to throw back. Can you see a Striper tourney that targets 30 to 36" fish and goes by the weigth of 2 fish.

jim sylvester
02-20-2006, 09:30 AM
my two cents on walmart

10 years ago i was the national account manager selling to walmart.. to say the least a HUGE account. (2.6 million in one product) This is how WalMArt buyers work (probably VERY different from your buying strategies as the shop Pete.)

I would go in to see the buyer, present a contact with pricing, bogos,advertisment $$ ect,ect. The buyer wold then dictate to me the price in which he would want to buy the product for.. LESS THAN WHAT IT COST TO MANUFACTURE. Oversees production went to his price.
CORP. America = Greed
Pushing production oversees to get a inferior product for pricing.

As you can see, Walamrt is a bitter pill to swallow for me..
Regardless if they run the best striper tourney.. I would be against it.

Joe
02-20-2006, 10:18 AM
I would not worry too much about a pro-striper tour getting a foothold in the norheast.
There are lots of problems - weather, sponsorship and a short season being the three of the largest.
They'll try, and maybe they will even launch a couple, but its not going to fly in this culture. That's a red state sport.

squiddler
02-20-2006, 10:23 AM
These anglers, due to entry fees, equipment necessary, etc., WILL be professionals, the elite of their sports. As far as bycatch goes, the recreational sector kills TONS more fish than the commercial sector, and it is well documented. These anglers will be seeking LARGE to get paid, and therefore targeting them specifically, releasing any small fish quickly and adeptly, with cameras/ spectator boats watching their every move. BASS and FLW tourneys pump major amounts of money in to the local venue economy, bringing tourist dollars, exposure, etc. that would otherwise not be there. The local shops will benefit greatly, as WALLY world is not setup to sell the vast array of live baits and tackle required by these anglers on the tourney trail. Regardless of your thoughts on "big business", this type of event affects so many other facets of local economy that to simply state WAlMART is greedy and therefore this tournamnet is too is just plain ignorant. The business end aside, the main issue here is benefit/detriment to the Striper population. I cannot fathom how this would harm the biomass, as these anglers will undoubtedly be interested in not only promoting their sport to the masses, but ensuring the "big money" payouts are there for years to come. They have a vested interest in kkeping the fishery healthy, obviuosly.

Pete_G
02-20-2006, 10:53 AM
my two cents on walmart

10 years ago i was the national account manager selling to walmart.. to say the least a HUGE account. (2.6 million in one product) This is how WalMArt buyers work (probably VERY different from your buying strategies as the shop Pete.)

I would go in to see the buyer, present a contact with pricing, bogos,advertisment $$ ect,ect. The buyer wold then dictate to me the price in which he would want to buy the product for.. LESS THAN WHAT IT COST TO MANUFACTURE. Oversees production went to his price.
CORP. America = Greed
Pushing production oversees to get a inferior product for pricing.

As you can see, Walamrt is a bitter pill to swallow for me..
Regardless if they run the best striper tourney.. I would be against it.

Yep, reverse price setting. Genius and a great way to make money, but cruel to US companies.

Swimmer
02-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Wow PeteG, wow. Might change the face of thing just a tad.

big jay
02-20-2006, 12:09 PM
If you are going to fish this thing - just remember how to answer questions at the weigh in -- no "it was a good day -let's see what she weighs" allowed.

All answers Nascar style - "Looks like we've got a good fish to weigh here, and the only reason this is at all possible is b/c I could only get to the fish with my mercury optimax powered hydrasport fueled with Texaco supreme and castrol motoroil. And even though I got the fish on a live eel - that was only possible b/c of the high quality yozuri plugs I normally fish, which I just know contributed to my overall success. That fish also couldn't possibly be landed without my sponsors high quality Gamakatsu hooks, seagur leader, and the mother of all high-tec fishing lines, Cajun red. Reel? - I'm sorry, had some miscommuncation with the home office this week, and just can't remember which one I was using. Lastly, thanks to helley hanson for giving me a raincoat, and the good folks at fruit of the loom for keeping the boys warm and cozy so I can concentrate on fishing."

Skip N
02-20-2006, 12:18 PM
If you are going to fish this thing - just remember how to answer questions at the weigh in -- no "it was a good day -let's see what she weighs" allowed.

All answers Nascar style - "Looks like we've got a good fish to weigh here, and the only reason this is at all possible is b/c I could only get to the fish with my mercury optimax powered hydrasport fueled with Texaco supreme and castrol motoroil. And even though I got the fish on a live eel - that was only possible b/c of the high quality yozuri plugs I normally fish, which I just know contributed to my overall success. That fish also couldn't possibly be landed without my sponsors high quality Gamakatsu hooks, seagur leader, and the mother of all high-tec fishing lines, Cajun red. Reel? - I'm sorry, had some miscommuncation with the home office this week, and just can't remember which one I was using. Lastly, thanks to helley hanson for giving me a raincoat, and the good folks at fruit of the loom for keeping the boys warm and cozy so I can concentrate on fishing."

That sounds like most of the guys on this site when they talk about thier high end gear and custom plugs! :laughs: So whats the differance i ask you? :hee:

Basser
02-20-2006, 12:28 PM
http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/05-99/05-05-99/d01sp122.htm

Basser
02-20-2006, 12:39 PM
http://www.nascar.com/2004/news/headlines/cup/02/05/bc.car..nascaradvertisin.ap/

striperman36
02-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Excellent articles Pete G. A must read for anyone in business today.
In one word, it is greed or capturing as much share as possible, that drives any large organization.
My industry IT, has been suffering a similar fate, my consulting rates have fallen from a high of 400 per hour USD in 1997 to a 'suggested' rate of 66.50 in the same organization in that 10 years primarily due to globalization of partners. In most cases all but forcing the supplier of choice to be the offshore provider
Large firms like GE, SSBT, AIG, Marsh Mclellan, Fidelity, WalMart lead the shift of IT resources, primarily I believe to maintain proft margins while the cost of services to the retail customer continues to fall as the result of competition in the marketplace.
So are we caught in a vicious cycle of searching for the lowest price for goods and services, while cannibalizing our own domestic economy? An interesting discussion for sure and one that seems to have no historical parallel, except perhaps in the later years of the Roman empire.

Bill

Skip N
02-20-2006, 01:49 PM
Walmart employs LOTS of hard working people and pay them ok money for low skilled workers. They are not just minimum wage jobs. They employ lots of folks and provide steady jobs and tax money for towns. Of course alot of the Anti Walmart folks hate them because they are a non union organization. Wich is mainly why i like them becuase i'm not a fan of Unions! The best story is the city of Chicago rejected to have a walmart in the city, so walmart built about a mile outside the city and that town is getting ALL the tax money and Chicago gets nuttin! So not only did Chicago lose money they lost a chance to gain hundreds of jobs for its residents. The anti walmart folks screwed the city of Chicago of millions of $$! Hope that was worth it! :laugha:

RIROCKHOUND
02-20-2006, 02:09 PM
"So not only did Chicago lose money they lost a chance to gain hundreds of jobs for its residents. "

Skip; my guess is that a lot of people from Chicago still got Jobs...

Joe
02-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Wallyworld specs out a certain amount of space for big nationally carried fishing products – Bomber, Storm, etc. They get the reps of these companies in a little room at their headquarters in Arkansas and then squeeze em' until they get the best price.

But for the stuff that is regionally specific, my understanding is that they hook up with a local distributor and give them so many square feet of fishing isle and let them fill it as they see fit. If the numbers don’t make it, they get a new distributor.

Swimmer
02-20-2006, 03:27 PM
The only way possible would be just as in the redfish tour. How in the world would anybody keep a 40 #er alive to release. I read something a couple of years ago about the big money starting to ebb from the nascar circuit into fishing because fishing was growing at a faster rate. That is even though nascar has the highest paid attendence in the country for any sport. Like they say follow the money...............:D

Swimmer
02-20-2006, 03:29 PM
.......have suddenly become more important. :tm: :uhuh:

basswipe
02-20-2006, 04:03 PM
I believe it is a hybrid/ land locked contest, not like the Red fish tourny.
I don't like Walmart at all

Its saltwater.

basswipe
02-20-2006, 04:08 PM
I would not worry too much about a pro-striper tour getting a foothold in the norheast.
There are lots of problems - weather, sponsorship and a short season being the three of the largest.
They'll try, and maybe they will even launch a couple, but its not going to fly in this culture. That's a red state sport.

I wouldn't be so sure.Its definetly gonna kick off this Summer.Will it last more than a couple seasons?That's the big question.

TheSpecialist
02-20-2006, 06:02 PM
FYI they make huge tubes like the ones they use for tunas on marlin boats, they call them striper tubes and are used in the hybrid tourneys. The fish goes in nose down, and water is pumped up through the mouth and gills keeping the fish alive.

TheSpecialist
02-20-2006, 06:05 PM
If Walmart is such a great company to it's employees, why did the feds bust them for forcing their employees to work unpaid ot, work through breaks and lunches without paying them for it. For every good Walmart employee story there are hundreds of negative ones. Unfortunately Walmart fills a giant void in this country, cheasp things for people with little to no money.

basswipe
02-20-2006, 06:09 PM
FYI they make huge tubes like the ones they use for tunas on marlin boats, they call them striper tubes and are used in the hybrid tourneys. The fish goes in nose down, and water is pumped up through the mouth and gills keeping the fish alive.

I read an article about the "striper tube".Apparently its quite effective.

Rob Rockcrawler
02-20-2006, 06:55 PM
I really hope that if this tourney gets off the ground that they do it just like freshwater bass tourneys, NO LIVE BAIT. If the eels are really in danger then the publicity they get on TV as being striper crack would really put a hurting on them and the price would bo thru the roof. There is nostalga and history behind the vinyard and otehr local tourneys, they are local and draw a somewhat local croud and pump a ton of cash into the local economies. I must admit that i shop walmart, its not my favorite place to shop for countless reasons but the prices are hard to beat. Damn near anywhere in the country if someone needs anyhting the go to walmart, they suceeded in programing our minds, those bastards...

Pete_G
02-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Excellent articles Pete G. A must read for anyone in business today.
In one word, it is greed or capturing as much share as possible, that drives any large organization.
My industry IT, has been suffering a similar fate, my consulting rates have fallen from a high of 400 per hour USD in 1997 to a 'suggested' rate of 66.50 in the same organization in that 10 years primarily due to globalization of partners. In most cases all but forcing the supplier of choice to be the offshore provider
Large firms like GE, SSBT, AIG, Marsh Mclellan, Fidelity, WalMart lead the shift of IT resources, primarily I believe to maintain proft margins while the cost of services to the retail customer continues to fall as the result of competition in the marketplace.
So are we caught in a vicious cycle of searching for the lowest price for goods and services, while cannibalizing our own domestic economy? An interesting discussion for sure and one that seems to have no historical parallel, except perhaps in the later years of the Roman empire.

Bill

It's definitely a fascinating business model, especially if you're in the retail industry. When I say it's genius, I really believe that. Hell, I'd probably do the same thing if I had the leverage. Bring lower prices to my customers while protecting my margins? Sounds great to me. But it is dangerous and you word it very well though when you said "So are we caught in a vicious cycle of searching for the lowest price for goods and services, while cannibalizing our own domestic economy?" That is exactly what I feel it is. The numbers SHOW that it is. And I think it will change the US economy for years to come, and I have to doubt it will be for the better. Innovation within our country and increased minimum wages in upcoming nations will probably be the only thing that slows it down. If it doesn't I almost feel it will be the beginning of the end for the US as a superpower if we're not already on the downslope. All countries and empires before us have risen and fallen. No reason to think we won't do the same....

Mr. Sandman
02-20-2006, 07:39 PM
http://www.digitalwav.net/download.asp?filename=WSGreed%2Ewav

I think "greed" or "capitalism" as it is known helps keep prices down and creates new markets. I love it. If you want to particapate buy some shares of wallMart or HomeDepot Sure I support my local tackle shops but I don't see our local shops putting together a 500K bass tourney. Why should the FW guys get all the glory?

Also, while I despise shopping at Wallmart, I don't think they intent to make a ton of cash off the striper fishermen.

A 500K tourney in the Northeast...I think it is a good idea and pretty harmless. I may even try and talk FISHON and his Hydra-Sport into signing up! (with me as a "priority" fisherman....:bl: )

What erks me is that some of you have a problem with a rec contest but no problem with comm fishing for bass? Doesn't that sound a little hypocritical to you? Where is the love?

big jay
02-20-2006, 08:20 PM
The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Thank you very much.

-G. Gecco (1987)

Skitterpop
02-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Out of the woodwork :pop:

:eyes:

Pete_G
02-20-2006, 09:18 PM
The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

And greed -- you mark my words -- will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA.

Thank you very much.

-G. Gecco (1987)

I love that quote. For the most part...

Pete_G
02-20-2006, 09:20 PM
For those who haven't done so, punch "striper tube" into Google. Plenty of interesting reading and info regarding striper tournaments. I never knew stripers couldn't pump water over their gills like a largemouth can until now. Seems there's a fairly big freshwater striper tournment scene out there too.

Skip N
02-20-2006, 11:41 PM
"So not only did Chicago lose money they lost a chance to gain hundreds of jobs for its residents. "

Skip; my guess is that a lot of people from Chicago still got Jobs...

Yes your prob right...But Chicago still gets squat for tax money. Walmart stuck it to them wich is kinda funny

Clammer
02-21-2006, 12:47 AM
I don,t GAF who runs a tournament / but when it comes to money //never mind big money ============It will without doubt draw the biggest cheaters in the business // been there / seen it . F #$%^&*( unreal =what people will do for the glory & the money

I will never ever fish a tournament again nor will I join any club / I did recently join rissa /but will not fish ==I did it because I feel they do some good things for kids & Once a month I see some good friends >><><<

I could easliy write a book with the info I have on what has gone on in tournaments in the past & one that is still presant ////

BUT the glory ,greedy ,almighty fish mobster would probably have me erased /before it ever got published .....:call: :eyes:

BasicPatrick
02-21-2006, 01:50 AM
I hear from a reliable source we are talking $2500 entry fees and other professional requirements to enter. This could be what ASA was supposed to be until Jack Holmes abandoned the tournament and ignored his successful model from the SKA. I also heard it will be NO LIVE BAIT and possibly no trolling either. We will see as info comes out.

Will it be a good thing or a bad thing??? It will probably not have any impact on the amount of mortality at all. It will put more of a focus on the fishery, driving revenues for the industry, and that would have to be a good thing. We have lost six or sevent locals around the Boston/South Shoire Area in three years. I know that two others are in trouble. The Internet sales do more to damage the locals thqan WalMart willever do, though I am niot afan of Wal Mart either.

basswipe
02-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Some more info here.

http://www.fishnsba.com/

Joe
02-21-2006, 08:28 AM
What Clammer said...they better have a polygraph ready - they'll have guys who work on the day boats culling their by-catch for large to enter in the tourney.

Swimmer
02-21-2006, 11:35 AM
I hope they'll honor my request to be filmed from the left side, I take a much better shot from my left side.:wave:

squiddler
02-21-2006, 02:31 PM
It's definitely a fascinating business model, especially if you're in the retail industry. When I say it's genius, I really believe that. Hell, I'd probably do the same thing if I had the leverage. Bring lower prices to my customers while protecting my margins? Sounds great to me. But it is dangerous and you word it very well though when you said "So are we caught in a vicious cycle of searching for the lowest price for goods and services, while cannibalizing our own domestic economy?" That is exactly what I feel it is. The numbers SHOW that it is. And I think it will change the US economy for years to come, and I have to doubt it will be for the better. Innovation within our country and increased minimum wages in upcoming nations will probably be the only thing that slows it down. If it doesn't I almost feel it will be the beginning of the end for the US as a superpower if we're not already on the downslope. All countries and empires before us have risen and fallen. No reason to think we won't do the same....

Yeah Yeah Yeah, history repeats itself blah blah blah. This from the guy who has high prices and no show specials, jeez. Stick to fishin topics, leave the business and history out of it.

Canalman
02-21-2006, 02:38 PM
If Walmart is such a great company to it's employees, why did the feds bust them for forcing their employees to work unpaid ot, work through breaks and lunches without paying them for it. For every good Walmart employee story there are hundreds of negative ones. Unfortunately Walmart fills a giant void in this country, cheasp things for people with little to no money.

Not to mention, Wal-Mart and Home Depot have put more HARDER working Mom and Pop stores out of business than probably any other pair of corps in history. You must remember one thing there is NO little guy anymore. It's only the big guys and it's not making for a well balanced economy. I try not to give them business, although I do give them some. As for these companies giving "hard working" people jobs. Ever try to get help or (gasp!) sound advice in one of these places? I know there are some people in there that know their $#!+ but not many. As for the tournament.... I don;t think we have to worry about spot closures but it could get ugly from a mortality standpoint... and if I owned a boat and was going to enter this thing. I'd think twice simply because of the attention... you'd get followed everytime out.... ok I'm done. :zup:

-Dave

Pete_G
02-21-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah Yeah Yeah, history repeats itself blah blah blah. This from the guy who has high prices and no show specials, jeez. Stick to fishin topics, leave the business and history out of it.

Maybe you're confusing me with someone else. You're welcome to compare prices if you want, and maybe you should if you really feel we have high prices. If you're going to claim high prices back it up. No need for the attitude... :confused: You're welcome to take it to PM if you want to discuss it further if it's something personal.

Peter Graeber

Pete_G
02-21-2006, 03:17 PM
I hope they'll honor my request to be filmed from the left side, I take a much better shot from my left side.:wave:

I think that the cameras will help cut down on potential cheating. Possibly being outed on national TV will slow down most people.

basswipe
02-21-2006, 03:23 PM

Really?

I found all kinds of goodies at the show.No "specials" but what a selection of plugs.No more than you would pay anywhere else.

My understanding of this show is that it's a fundraiser.You shoulda bought some raffle tickets.You coulda won a custom Habs rod,an incredible yak or one of many Aquaskinz bags among other things.

I don't get it.You're just joking right and you forgot the smiley?Otherwise all you're doing is pissing on someone else's parade.

All I can say is fine show Pete.

striperman36
02-21-2006, 03:40 PM

That's my point in reflection to the Romans. It appears at least to me we are on the downslope of the greatness of America as an economic, super, military, humanitary power and accelerating.

Pete_G
02-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Really?

I found all kinds of goodies at the show.No "specials" but what a selection of plugs.No more than you would pay anywhere else.

My understanding of this show is that it's a fundraiser.You shoulda bought some raffle tickets.You coulda won a custom Habs rod,an incredible yak or one of many Aquaskinz bags among other things.

I don't get it.You're just joking right and you forgot the smiley?Otherwise all you're doing is pissing on someone else's parade.

All I can say is fine show Pete.

Just to be clear so there's no confusion, the Conservation Raffle proceeds are 100% donated to whatever the cause or club is that given year. Raffle prizes are a combination of items we choose from the store as well as items donated by companies such as Aquaskinz and Habs Custom Plugs.

The shop is there selling things separately; hopefully covering the cost of the ballrooms at the hotel, LCD projectors, and the UHaul truck it took to get everything there, etc.

Pete_G
02-21-2006, 03:42 PM
That's my point in reflection to the Romans. It appears at least to me we are on the downslope of the greatness of America as an economic, super, military, humanitary power and accelerating.

I completely agree, unfortunately.

basswipe
02-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Just to be clear so there's no confusion, the Conservation Raffle proceeds are 100% donated to whatever the cause or club is that given year. Raffle prizes are a combination of items we choose from the store as well as items donated by companies such as Aquaskinz and Habs Custom Plugs.

The shop is there selling things separately; hopefully covering the cost of the ballrooms at the hotel, LCD projectors, and the UHaul truck it took to get everything there, etc.

That I knew Pete.

I was just wondering why Squiddler has a problem with your shop prices.I find them no higher than anyone else's. And like I said the selection was incredible.You have the best plug selection of any shop within driving distance of my place and the prices are right.Can't ask for more than that.

jim sylvester
02-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Quote:

Pete,
I think you did a great job with the show. Sqiddler must have overlooked the 50% off table. There were definelty some specials in there!!!

squiddler
02-21-2006, 07:28 PM

Why dont you guys move to an Arab country, for christ sakes. My brother is in Iraq right now, and for the protection of all your skinny white backsides. THis is the greatest country in the world, and will be for a long time. Its the whiners like you guys that drag the humanitarian side down, and in terms of economics, this country could buy the world ten times over. Walmart is part of this system of capitalism, which is part of the whole that lets us priveleged few chat on our expensive computers and buy our 300 dollar reels and 20 dollar plugs, etc. etc. etc.

Thats enough on the off topic subject of the decline of the western civilation and the correlation to the roman empire. Lets call a spade a spade here. You had retail prices at the show and you claim its to cover overhead, blah blah blah blah blah. You were makin money, plain and simple, and gettin a whole pile o advertising to boot. The fact that you admit the sales were seperate shows that your retail booth had nuthin to do with charity, plain and simple.

Again, stick to the topic of fishin and leave yer dime store politics/history lessons out of it.

Piss Piss Pisss, and no smiley face. You guys make me sick

squiddler
02-21-2006, 07:32 PM
And btw, i give plenty to charity, but the ones i choose. I still think if someone comes and takes the time to go to the show, that there should be some show pricing, plain and simple. Im on a budget, and its tax season, and i wont use this stuff for another 2 months. That is why I buy some of my plugs at Walmart or online, cuz its an expensive sport, plain and simple.

Piss piss piss, and more piss

squiddler
02-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Maybe you're confusing me with someone else. You're welcome to compare prices if you want, and maybe you should if you really feel we have high prices. If you're going to claim high prices back it up. No need for the attitude... :confused: You're welcome to take it to PM if you want to discuss it further if it's something personal.

Peter Graeber

Its not personal. Your prices are on the high end, and I have compared pricing. I did not buy anything from your booth, nor do i plan on it. The guy, I dont know how it was, at your booth was brusque with me and my friend when we inquired about show specials, to the point it left a bad taste in my mouth. There are plenty o reasons why you feel the need to defend yerself i guess.

The other thing I find innappropriate is the constant referrals to your business, whether your a sponsor or not. This is an interactive website, and you do everything you can to get your business into the fracass, as far as im concerned. Im just stating an opinion, not fact here, and opinions are like ***holes, everyones got em.

Why you so defensive? I was taking odds at your trashing of walmart while identifying yourself as a business concern.

squiddler
02-21-2006, 07:49 PM
And the baitshop you just moved next to has the same needlefish plugs(striker) for 2.00 less. theres yer backup. I'm sure you didnt think twice as to your location next to him, did you?

Pete_G
02-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Why dont you guys move to an Arab country, for christ sakes. My brother is in Iraq right now, and for the protection of all your skinny white backsides. THis is the greatest country in the world, and will be for a long time. Its the whiners like you guys that drag the humanitarian side down, and in terms of economics, this country could buy the world ten times over. Walmart is part of this system of capitalism, which is part of the whole that lets us priveleged few chat on our expensive computers and buy our 300 dollar reels and 20 dollar plugs, etc. etc. etc.

Thats enough on the off topic subject of the decline of the western civilation and the correlation to the roman empire. Lets call a spade a spade here. You had retail prices at the show and you claim its to cover overhead, blah blah blah blah blah. You were makin money, plain and simple, and gettin a whole pile o advertising to boot. The fact that you admit the sales were seperate shows that your retail booth had nuthin to do with charity, plain and simple.

Again, stick to the topic of fishin and leave yer dime store politics/history lessons out of it.

Piss Piss Pisss, and no smiley face. You guys make me sick

A friend of mine is dead and my cousin's husband nearly lost his arm in Iraq, so I certainly understand what having people you care about overseas is all about. Do you really believe we're un-American if we're worried about the well being of our country?

Now, the Conservation Raffle. The SWE booth sits entirely separate from the raffle area. Raffle proceeds goes to whatever cause they go to that year, and normal SWE sales are normal SWE sales. I don't know how to say that more clearly or why you think it operates otherwise. I would think it would be fairly obvious. I'm not "admitting" anything as you put it. It just is what it is.

To be honest, at this point your post is libel.

Peter Graeber

Pete_G
02-21-2006, 08:14 PM
And btw, i give plenty to charity, but the ones i choose. I still think if someone comes and takes the time to go to the show, that there should be some show pricing, plain and simple. Im on a budget, and its tax season, and i wont use this stuff for another 2 months. That is why I buy some of my plugs at Walmart or online, cuz its an expensive sport, plain and simple.

Piss piss piss, and more piss

You are free NOT to come.

squiddler
02-21-2006, 08:18 PM
All right Pete, maybe my panties are in a bunch, and it had alot to do with your rep at the show.

But libel, cmon dude, settle down.

If it helps, I retract my comments in regards to your shop, and apologize openly for my anger.

Maybe you should be on this site as an end user instead of your obvious conflict of interest with your business.

You opened the door, I barged in.

If you notice, I clearly state that my opinions are just that, opinions. So libel is not even a close call here.

You asked for backup, I gave it to you, you are still whinin dude, still whinin, and im still pissin.

Skitterpop
02-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Is wow Squiddler :skulz:

squiddler
02-21-2006, 08:23 PM
http://www.digitalwav.net/download.asp?filename=WSGreed%2Ewav

I think "greed" or "capitalism" as it is known helps keep prices down and creates new markets. I love it. If you want to particapate buy some shares of wallMart or HomeDepot Sure I support my local tackle shops but I don't see our local shops putting together a 500K bass tourney. Why should the FW guys get all the glory?

Also, while I despise shopping at Wallmart, I don't think they intent to make a ton of cash off the striper fishermen.

A 500K tourney in the Northeast...I think it is a good idea and pretty harmless. I may even try and talk FISHON and his Hydra-Sport into signing up! (with me as a "priority" fisherman....:bl: )

What erks me is that some of you have a problem with a rec contest but no problem with comm fishing for bass? Doesn't that sound a little hypocritical to you? Where is the love?

I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY< SANDMAN.

Lets get back on topic and stop gining Pete more reasons to discuss economics

squiddler
02-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Is wow Squiddler :skulz:

Thank you, shows daily at 9 and 11, free admittance for whiners.......:musc:

RIROCKHOUND
02-21-2006, 08:31 PM
OK Squiddler..
first off lay off the caffine at this time of night....
Second, I have zero (0) affiliation with Pete and the SWE, we're in the same fishing club, thats about it.
I dont think he should or have to seperate himself out as an 'end user'
In my OPINION, having people in the industry, like Pete, MikeCC etc.. is a huge asset of this site. We get the skinny new gear, and good reviews.. I fish 100+ nights a season, and in no way do I or can I see/review gear than people in shops who get people in daily to get repairs and buy gear... the fact that Mike or Pete or others has input as to what holds up/works and what doesnt is huge.
I was out of town this weekend, didnt make it to the fair, but if I remember from last year, it was free to get into, free for seminars, the raffle was optional, and you didnt have to buy jack diddily %$%$%$%$ if you didnt want to. There were numerous high profile fisherman there and you could have picked their brains for free. I think you need to chill out a bit dude...

basswipe
02-21-2006, 08:39 PM
That's right RIR that show was 100% free.Free parking,free admission and free advice from guys like Iron Mike,Pt.Jude Joe,#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&,Steve McKenna,DZ,Habs etc.

What a ripoff:rolleyes:

squiddler
02-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Like I said, ITS MY OPINION.

I again apologize to Pete if I offended, but I was and am pissed off.

Why is it okay for guys to trash Walmart but not me to trash somone or something???????

I took offense to the trashing of America, or its decline, or whatever the point of the correlation to the Roman Empire was.

This will be my last post on this matter, your all welcome in advance.

Again, open apology to SWE and Pete.

IMHO your sticking your noses in to this pissin contest. And I still think your a bunch o whiners.

Pete_G
02-21-2006, 08:54 PM
All right Pete, maybe my panties are in a bunch, and it had alot to do with your rep at the show.

But libel, cmon dude, settle down.

If it helps, I retract my comments in regards to your shop, and apologize openly for my anger.

Maybe you should be on this site as an end user instead of your obvious conflict of interest with your business.

You opened the door, I barged in.

If you notice, I clearly state that my opinions are just that, opinions. So libel is not even a close call here.

You asked for backup, I gave it to you, you are still whinin dude, still whinin, and im still pissin.

My only big hang up Squiddler was the way you spoke of the Conservation Raffle. As I said, it's a pretty serious accusation.

Again I apologize for your interaction with one of the guys. We're a pretty social bunch for the most part. :buds:

And I'm done with the economics discussion. At least in this thread. :tooth: I'll try and keep it in the Scuppers in the future. I know I have a tendency to hijack threads. There's several people I seriously argue and debate with in some threads but we do hang out, talk fishing, and have fun together regardless. I like to debate stuff, it's just my nature.

outnumbered
02-21-2006, 08:56 PM
Meeting some people from the boat show at their respective booths. Led to the following:

$500 entry fee per boat, thinking of lowering to $250
10-11 tournaments along east coast
10K in prize money per tourney, rules not completely set as of yet
top 3 in each tourney compete for final prize of 25K
If you own a Genmar boat bonus prize money may be involved
Tournament to be on a Sat in August with Sunday as backup rain day

Joe
02-21-2006, 08:57 PM
To be honest - I'm sick of the sponsors always selling things, and I am a sponsor!
Turn sponsorship over to the masked avengers. Tell them to anonymously put some donation money into a brown paper bag and leave it next to the dumpster behind Hooters on Airport Road, John R will pick it up on his way out.

By the way...if you missed out on the free Habs stickers they are for sale online now click here (http://65.36.235.132/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SRIOTS&Category_Code=S).
See! That's what I'm talking about! There I go again!
I hate that.

squiddler
02-21-2006, 09:03 PM
My only big hang up Squiddler was the way you spoke of the Conservation Raffle. As I said, it's a pretty serious accusation.

Again I apologize for your interaction with one of the guys. We're a pretty social bunch for the most part. :buds:

And I'm done with the economics discussion. At least in this thread. :tooth: I'll try and keep it in the Scuppers in the future. I know I have a tendency to hijack threads. There's several people I seriously argue and debate with in some threads but we do hang out, talk fishing, and have fun together regardless. I like to debate stuff, it's just my nature.

I know i said last post on this topic, but had to comment on this particular quote...

I was angry, spouting off at the mouth, and I should have tempered my comments.

I thank Pete for being a man and apologizing. We will beg to differ, I guess, but no more barbs, I promise Pete.

Goose
02-21-2006, 09:24 PM
Anybody feeling lucky? I'm feelin crazy. I hate being on the porch all my life.

Pt.JudeJoe
02-21-2006, 09:49 PM
Thank you, shows daily at 9 and 11, free admittance for whiners.......:musc:
Am I just overly sensitized to these numbers or did anyone else see 911 in this?? I hear Twilight Zone music! :hidin:

Skip N
02-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Pete runs a good shop. As far as no deals go...He informed me in advance that he was having a discount on some good fly lines i was interested in. Now thats good service and how you keep customers around. Not sure what that guy was talking about regarding no good deals at the SWE.:huh:

squiddler
02-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey skip, do you kick dead horses too??

I mean, let it go already, I admitted I was angry, and openly apologized TWICE!!!:bshake:

squiddler
02-22-2006, 12:04 AM
And wipe off yer nose, its dark brown there sparky.

basswipe
02-22-2006, 12:24 AM
:gu: :jump1: PUI?

Skip N
02-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Hey skip, do you kick dead horses too??

I mean, let it go already, I admitted I was angry, and openly apologized TWICE!!!:bshake:

Dude chill the hell out! I just signed on and read your first post and thats it. I was defending Pete when you slammed his store. Dont make stupid comments if you dont want to take flak for it! Believe me i take alot of %$%$%$%$ on here so i know what im talking about! :tooth: You make comments about a popular local shop so expect to take some crap.

I agree with your take on America being the best. No question about that! But i wanted to express my opinioin about what you said. And one reason America is so great is that i am aloud to express my displeasure with your comments. Now i read the rest of this thread and what you wrote and things seem cleared up. Good!

But im done, no use getting worked up about something that doesnt involve me. :tooth:

squiddler
02-22-2006, 07:04 AM
Dude chill the hell out! I just signed on and read your first post and thats it. I was defending Pete when you slammed his store. Dont make stupid comments if you dont want to take flak for it! Believe me i take alot of %$%$%$%$ on here so i know what im talking about! :tooth: You make comments about a popular local shop so expect to take some crap.

I agree with your take on America being the best. No question about that! But i wanted to express my opinioin about what you said. And one reason America is so great is that i am aloud to express my displeasure with your comments. Now i read the rest of this thread and what you wrote and things seem cleared up. Good!

But im done, no use getting worked up about something that doesnt involve me. :tooth:

Well, Skip, at least your a patriotic little brown noser!!:wiggle:

Seriously tho, i respect everyones right to post their opinions, no matter how mine line up with them.

I just think people on this board are cabin fevered up, and lookin to release some winter tension. I had fun with this post, to say the least. Its amazing to see what one offhand remark can spark, isnt it? I'm not pissed anymore, but ur still a brown noser.....(teasin dude, teasin:kewl: )

basswipe
02-22-2006, 07:35 AM
I can see this just isn't going to stop.All I wanted were people's opinions on the new FLW tour.It was inevitable that political/ economical "ideas" were going to be discussed Walmart is part of this.

People were gonna have differing opinions.But then you Squiddler had to make it personal and basically insulted Pete but you then later apologised and for that I thank you.

It should've ended then.Instead you hovered over this thread for hours waiting for the next post.How do I know that?I've been sitting at home for the past two days with broken rib I got nothing better to do.

I'm sorry you don't like Pete's shop or you thought the show was substandard but you could've posted that in the SWE Show thread.Instead you decided to do it here where it didn't belong and when myself or Skip in particular stated a differing opinion on Pete,his shop and the job he did at the show you got downright insulting to the point of calling SkipN a brown-noser and basically had to push his buttons by calling him "sparky".

The only thing brown here is the nose of this thread because you basically shoved it into a pile of poop.Thanks. Thanks alot.

I'm done with this thread.

Flaptail
02-22-2006, 08:17 AM
I hear from a reliable source we are talking $2500 entry fees and other professional requirements to enter. This could be what ASA was supposed to be until Jack Holmes abandoned the tournament and ignored his successful model from the SKA. I also heard it will be NO LIVE BAIT and possibly no trolling either. We will see as info comes out.

Will it be a good thing or a bad thing??? It will probably not have any impact on the amount of mortality at all. It will put more of a focus on the fishery, driving revenues for the industry, and that would have to be a good thing. We have lost six or sevent locals around the Boston/South Shoire Area in three years. I know that two others are in trouble. The Internet sales do more to damage the locals thqan WalMart willever do, though I am niot afan of Wal Mart either.

No live bait and no trolling? Where do I sign? True enough about the local shops losing to internet based providers. And Pete G is absolutely correct in the USA on the downslope. Heck Teddy Kennedy is even introducing a bill today that I can back. No tax breaks or incentives for companies shipping manufacturing/labor resources overseas (read 3rd world countries) of Which Wally world is one of the leading exponents. ( it's only "assembled" here form foriegn parts, not actually made here like they say). The boys in Arkansas at Bentonville HQ are just practicing an old southern tradition in a new scheme, slavery. Now though it's not owning human beings outright just controlling every facet of thier lives through an economic outlet that preys on the poor and underachieving in this country and abroad where they feast on the fruits of cheap labor and lack of regulations governing the same. Sure we all use Wal-mart, I do and most of you do as well but for some they wouldn't be able to make it without thier "great value" brands, cheap clothing and questionable quality goods. But it's not just Wal-mart, it's Bass-pro, Cabelas, LL BEAN oRVIS, kOHL'S, tARGET and on and on. We fought in Viet NAM and lost 52000 American lives so we could buy T-shirts made there at Old Navy!

2500.00? peice of cake. casting plugs and rubber? no problem. We get them up here for 5 months. And we get lots of them. The yahoos down south get them for the same time so a northeast segment of this tourney is fine. I need a new challenge job wise, why not professional Striper fishing?

GBOUTDOORS
02-22-2006, 08:19 AM
Basswipe I could not agree more about the thread going south I did read all that was posted hear just so I could see how down hill some threads on the site can go . I liked the origanal post and can we PLEASE get back to it Goose if we sign up and we both have Seaswirl Stripers you think they will give us a break:jester: Now as far as the rest of the CRAP that came into this post take it to the scuppers and I will be glad to set most of you store owners straight.:topic:

Raven
02-22-2006, 08:36 AM
I need a new challenge job wise, why not professional Striper fishing?

you da man Flap...and you'd make a great TV personality too...
:think:
just imagine...sitting down on a cold sunday morning watching flaptail on TV catchin
Stripers while its snowing sideways.that would be mint.

Goose
02-22-2006, 09:27 AM
No live bait. I just remembered,,I have a job.

Cut bait:heybaby:

GBOUTDOORS
02-22-2006, 09:48 AM
Goose come on I can see it now me you and Clammer being followed by a camera crew. I do think this could be good for us if it is done in the same way they do the redfish tours. Like others said this is going to be a pro-tournament that we will be watching on tv most likley not from our boats. But it would be good to see some good pr for the sport don't you think?

Raven
02-22-2006, 10:01 AM
But it would be good to see some good pr for the sport don't you think?

as far as the media is concerned they don't really recognize pro fishing or tournament fishing as a sport. Well they do on the specific shows, that are the so called fishing shows...but you've never seen it on the news.... that so and so just won the Pro tournament and recieved
this trophy...its very segregated and i think thats very wrong.

they show college football ,high school football ,and basket ball,and others but fishing as a sport simply doesnt exist in TV news.

squiddler
02-22-2006, 12:11 PM
I can see this just isn't going to stop.All I wanted were people's opinions on the new FLW tour.It was inevitable that political/ economical "ideas" were going to be discussed Walmart is part of this.

People were gonna have differing opinions.But then you Squiddler had to make it personal and basically insulted Pete but you then later apologised and for that I thank you.

It should've ended then.Instead you hovered over this thread for hours waiting for the next post.How do I know that?I've been sitting at home for the past two days with broken rib I got nothing better to do.

I'm sorry you don't like Pete's shop or you thought the show was substandard but you could've posted that in the SWE Show thread.Instead you decided to do it here where it didn't belong and when myself or Skip in particular stated a differing opinion on Pete,his shop and the job he did at the show you got downright insulting to the point of calling SkipN a brown-noser and basically had to push his buttons by calling him "sparky".

The only thing brown here is the nose of this thread because you basically shoved it into a pile of poop.Thanks. Thanks alot.

And yet you continue by kicking the same damn horse that Skip did. If you don't want a retort, dont fan the flames, and as far as calling him sparky and a brown noser, I did say that I was teasin, and instead of letting it die, you all continue to chastise me publicly and expect me not to answer. You are bunch of hippocrites, and your doing the same thing I did. Nobody but Pete and I had anything to say about it, and I did the manly thing and admitted I was wrong, not 1 time, or 2 times, but 3 times over. And yet you keep jumping on me and defending Pete, and disparraging me. Go back and read each and every line odf the thread so its clear for you all. I even mentioned my tolerance of others opinions, something Im guess you dont share.

You are not the only one at home with nuthin to do. And if you think I am not going to continue defending myself, you are thicker headed than even I, my friends.

I tried to just let it go, but you all jumped into the heat on Petes side when that intelligent, well spoken guy needs no help from you little whiners. He stated his point clearly and effectively, and got me to admit I was wrong. NOw that doesnt make it okay for you to keep trashing me. By continuing the trashing of my handling of this, you incensed me further. Let me point out that I am also pretty fired up about the America decline comments, and I am super stressed out cuz my 23 year old brother is in Iraq, on the front lines, and no one in my family has heard from him in weeks. So YOU ALL CHILL OUT< AND LET THE ANOMISTY DIE< OR I WILL HAUNT EVERY THREAD I CAN FOR AS LONG AS I HAVE TO TO GET YOU TO MIND YER BUSINESS> :gorez:

Pete_G
02-22-2006, 01:09 PM
as far as the media is concerned they don't really recognize pro fishing or tournament fishing as a sport. Well they do on the specific shows, that are the so called fishing shows...but you've never seen it on the news.... that so and so just won the Pro tournament and recieved
this trophy...its very segregated and i think thats very wrong.

they show college football ,high school football ,and basket ball,and others but fishing as a sport simply doesnt exist in TV news.

I was just watching ESPN and they'll be broadcasting the BASSmaster Classic live again this year. It's a lot more visible then back when it was only on the The Nashville Network. Everyone probably just dismissed it as a redneck event back then. Well, it still is a bit, lol. But mostly because all the big names are from the South. But being on ESPN definitely legitimizes it and it will hopefully continue making it more visible to the general public including the NorthEast. Not as good as being on the 6 o'clock news, but better then being hidden on TNN back in the 90's.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/classic/news/story?page=b_news_Classic_coverage

They should do an extreme surfcasting tour if they really want some ratings. Guys getting bashed around on rocks wearing wetsuits and waders while pursuing big bass might really do the trick. What would most people rather see, a 2# bass get yanked out of some brush or seeing Eben get cracked over a rock while trying to reach a safe perch just a little too far out? There would be serious spot burning issues though...

basswipe
02-22-2006, 01:10 PM
:hs:

I don't care about your personal life and far as me minding my own business this is my business I'm the one who initiated the thread.You felt the need run it into the ground instead of positively contributing to it.

Haunt all the threads you want.All that'll do is PO a lot of people and at some point one of the mods will boot ya.

So haunt away.

basswipe
02-22-2006, 01:12 PM
I also saw the same on ESPN.

squiddler
02-22-2006, 03:42 PM

I don't care about your personal life and far as me minding my own business this is my business I'm the one who initiated the thread.You felt the need run it into the ground instead of positively contributing to it.

Haunt all the threads you want.All that'll do is PO a lot of people and at some point one of the mods will boot ya.

So haunt away.

Oh, but I care about yours. I hope your ribs heal up just fine, and that you have better things to do than continue stooopid threads.

Your name is not Skip, nor is it Pete. I directed none of my comments towards you , yet you felt the need to come to someone else's defense, and attacked me directly.

You are being a hippocrite, and you are continuing this BS whether you wanna admit it or not. You thank me for apologizing to pete, then you lash out again in the body of that same post, and expect me to just let it die, when you won't.

In regards to minding your business, you should have stuck to your business which was the original content of this thread. If you go back and carefully look at the timeline of the posts and read them fully, it was settled between pete and I and was not directed at anyone else but him, I was in the wrong there you'll see that I tried to let it die, but you whiners keep at it, and keep posting retorts that have nuthin to do with you. Where did I direct comments at others with out first being chastised about it? RIrockhound chastised me, but in a way that was true and honest, and he got no comments from me. Why don't you pm me instead, and we can go back and forth as much as you like. As far as getting booted by a mod, big deal. I guess that would prove my earlier comment that you whiners can't allow a guy to have a difference of opinion, nor can you stay out of the mix. You must love to whine and fight as much as you accuse me of, or you would have agreed with my insistence that this be just ended. I'm not gonna let you continue to say stuff about me, and not reply;...... and let this be the last of it.......... the choice is yours.

Just so its clear, I apologized for my earlier anger and my offhanded remarks, now why don't you try the same and I'll go back to lurking with random posts every now and then, if not, i' ve been clear as to what I will do...... :tm:

basswipe
02-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Not in one my posts did I ever "attack" you.Never once made any negative comments toward you.Only comments I made were positive about Pete's shop and the show he sponsored and that you shouldn't have posted it in this thread.

Now we're calling me names.I'm a hypocrite so says Squiddler.

As far as me sticking to the original thread,that really wouldn't have been a problem if you hadn't posted about the SWE show in this thread.

You go do what you think you need to do.Haunt me,Hound me. Whatever.It'll only be tolerated for so long.

kippy
02-22-2006, 04:10 PM
:lurk:

The Iceman 6
02-22-2006, 04:28 PM
How many days til the spring run?

squiddler
02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I said "being" a hippocrite, which if the shoe fits.....

did you not see my invatation to PM me and get it out of the public post....... If you cant see your continuing this maybe one of our other perspicatious members could point that out to you..... Keep it up, so will I........:whackin:

I also like how you ignore the other points I brought up in regards to this, you just pick out a few pieces and suit them to your needs.............:jester:

squiddler
02-22-2006, 04:37 PM

How is this not continuing the flames and how is not an unsolicited remark on me?.... and yet you claim your innocence. READ THE LAST LINE as well

squiddler
02-22-2006, 04:39 PM
Not in one my posts did I ever "attack" you.Never once made any negative comments toward you.Only comments I made were positive about Pete's shop and the show he sponsored and that you shouldn't have posted it in this thread.

Now we're calling me names.I'm a hypocrite so says Squiddler.

As far as me sticking to the original thread,that really wouldn't have been a problem if you hadn't posted about the SWE show in this thread.

You go do what you think you need to do.Haunt me,Hound me. Whatever.It'll only be tolerated for so long.

Also, you jumped into this on your own accord. It has nothing to do with you , I don't even know you.... AGAIN youve got your opinions and I got mine, whats the difference??????? i will stop once you do, as I've made quite clear....... And I do hope your ribs heal up soon so you can go fishin........ really.

basswipe
02-22-2006, 04:42 PM

Raven
02-22-2006, 04:49 PM
that's great news..... and thanks for the INFO... oh and by the way...

do you have any pictures of the New store front....?

squiddler
02-22-2006, 04:50 PM
And dont tell me your not getting off on this, or you would just have ignored me........ You did attack me, as proved by my reposting of your comments. What makes you the striped -bass defender of all those you deem worthy?????? Again, PM me if you wanna pontificate more on this, but stop with the public posts and I will go back to lurking...... Are you not hearing me? These other guys are big boys, and if they feel the need to defend themselves , let them. And lighten up, have a sense of humor dude, I did clearly state I was teasin, as a way to make light of yet another unsolicited remark from a whiner without being downright rotten.

basswipe
02-22-2006, 05:32 PM
How many days til the spring run?

There's always holdovers:D .

Skitterpop
02-22-2006, 09:40 PM
up

JohnR
02-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Because I have been busy with life and my real job I have not watched this thread.

I can see no reason this thread needed to be crapped upon. Don't let it happen again please... If there are bigg issues between people like that, settle it offline or in a PM. And no trolling...

Thread Crap Locked...