View Full Version : Holy Smoke....Literally!!!

Bob Thomas
02-22-2006, 06:27 AM
I'm not sure what the *&^%*(^ happened but I was tying bucktail jigs tonight and some sort of chemical reaction happened.

I tied in a couple of bucktails onto the jig and put a little Zap CA, the pink stuff, on to seal the fibers. All of a sudden, there was smoke coming from the jig. It stopped after about 2 seconds of smoking so I finished the jig. This was the only jig this happened to out of the 15 I tied!

So I'm putting away my stuff and empty the trash bin from the vise. I pull out some "Stuck" tail and get the Zap on my skin and it starts burning again!! Stopped fairly quick and did not even leave a mark but WEIRD!!

Any ideas?? :yak: :conf: :conf:

Raven
02-22-2006, 06:32 AM
i'd call the manufacturers and ask for their R&D department.
A scientist should be able to explain the phenomenon.

nightfighter
02-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Yup. And their marketing dept, who should be sending you a case of the stuff, while being thankful their product didn't burn your house down!! It's all about the delivery!:as:

capesams
02-22-2006, 06:54 AM
does it on cork tape too.....only when you pour it on in mass, it heats up as it cures just like 5 min.poxy in a small container...no biggie.

justplugit
02-22-2006, 10:30 AM
like CS says,-- just don't be breathin in the fumes.

FlukinUki
02-22-2006, 01:04 PM
I had a similar experience when trying to glue 2 pieces (different colors) of zonker strip together. I applied it to 1 strip and as I was getting ready to mate the two together I started seeing smoke and there was a really putrid smell. That was the last time I tried to do that.

ThrowingTimber
02-22-2006, 05:43 PM
which type thread were you using? And had you applied any other head cement or anything?

jkswimmer
02-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Be careful the smoke will glue your eyelids shut. Almost happened to me.

FlukinUki
02-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Be careful the smoke will glue your eyelids shut. Almost happened to me.

I guess that better than having them glued open :eyes: :shocked:

nightfighter
02-22-2006, 09:06 PM
[QUOTE=capesams]does it on cork tape too.....only when you pour it on in mass, it heats up as it cures just like 5 min.poxy in a small container...no biggie.[/QUOTE

Sure, I've smoked two part mixtures before when mixed hot, Steve, but isn't the Zap right out of the tube?

My rocket scientist little brother mixed a HOT batch of resin and had it on the hull when it combusted:buds: That was a fun phone call!